Active Topics

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
As I said, unless you're able to link the number of downloads to number of users, it's pointless. As they get updates more often and will try out more packages, people tracking extras-devel are bound to have more downloads 'per person'.
To me, the number of downloads is a sufficient measure of repo popularity. You can, of course, produce all kinds of arguments to the contrary, but if Extras-Testing or Extras-Devel had several times more downloads than Extras, then the only conclusion is that they are way more popular than Extras.

But all that is besides the point - as long as there ARE people who require such a safe-zone (and there are, even in this thread), if we can, we should provide them with such thing.
Yes, I completely agree with your point. So, in order to serve these people, I propose to do the following:

1. Rename Extras to Extras-Safe
2. Rename Extras-Testing to Extras
3. Leave Extras-Devel as it is

Do you agree with my modest proposal?

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by fms View Post

What, exactly, do you imagine that would achieve though? If that were to happen, Nokia would have to switch the default enabled repo to your new "extras-safe" repo, and stuff in "extras" would still need to include warnings to end-users and would require testing from people who bother doing so.
End result, no change whatsoever from the current situation except the repos have different names.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nidO For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
To me, the number of downloads is a sufficient measure of repo popularity. You can, of course, produce all kinds of arguments to the contrary, but if Extras-Testing or Extras-Devel had several times more downloads than Extras, then the only conclusion is that they are way more popular than Extras.
I already mailed Niels to provide us with the numbers if possible so we'll see - I'm just highlight aspects so that people don't jump to conclusions, either way. I also asked if maybe we could get the number of downloads of the Packages file of the different repositories, that would be a far closer metric to what we are curious about here.

Yes, I completely agree with your point. So, in order to serve these people, I propose to do the following:

My question is who would this nomenclature change appeal to (as in, would it matter all that much, especially considering the potential confusion of swapping repositories) ? Or are you suggesting that we suggest Nokia to enable (what is now called) Extras-testing by default on the next firmware ?

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
My question is who would this nomenclature change appeal to (as in, would it matter all that much, especially considering the potential confusion of swapping repositories) ? Or are you suggesting that we suggest Nokia to enable (what is now called) Extras-testing by default on the next firmware ?
I am suggesting to name the repositories according to their actual function. If Extras-Testing is no longer being used for testing, but rather for general distribution of software (as it appears to be used now), then the word -Testing must be removed. On the other hand, if Extras is actually being used by people who want to be safe from untested software, as you suggested, then it makes sense to rename it to Extras-Safe to signify its new function. As you see, my proposal simply follows your original statement about the status of Extras.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I am suggesting to name the repositories according to their actual function. If Extras-Testing is no longer being used for testing, but rather for general distribution of software (as it appears to be used now), then the word -Testing must be removed. On the other hand, if Extras is actually being used by people who want to be safe from untested software, as you suggested, then it makes sense to rename it to Extras-Safe to signify its new function. As you see, my proposal simply follows your original statement about the status of Extras.
what problem would be solved by doing this?

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
I would like to see PPA style repositories
so that people can subscribe to individual developers upgrades and improvements without having to muck around with general upgrades to things they have from stable repositories

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
lcuk : this is in progress with the Community Meego OBS ...

The Following User Says Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
what problem would be solved by doing this?
The problem of Extras being pretty much dead in the water, due to excessively restrictive promotion policies. Of course there is an easier solution to this problem: just relax the promotion policies. But a few "super-testers" in the crowd are obviously against this solution.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
The problem of Extras being pretty much dead in the water, due to excessively restrictive promotion policies. Of course there is an easier solution to this problem: just relax the promotion policies. But a few "super-testers" in the crowd are obviously against this solution.
Extras is not "dead in the water"; it's in fact more successful than the ovi store where developers get both Nokias support and the chance to make money.

But then, your proposal wouldn't actually change anything:

Extras-safe (now extras) would be the one repo activated by default in Nokias firmwares. There's no way they'd ever activate a repository that contains applications that are not well tested.

Extras (now extras-testing) would not be activated by default. There would be a procedure for applications to be promoted from extras to extras safe. This procedure would be the same as the one we have now. also, as a consequence, there would be a warning for users that this new "extras" contains untested applications and they shouldn't install unless they really know what they're doing.

So what exactly are we talking about?

Last edited by benny1967; 2010-08-22 at 12:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Extras is not "dead in the water"; it's in fact more successful than the ovi store where developers get both Nokias support and the chance to make money.
That is where things get really pitiful: when you are forced to compare it to the Ovi Store to show how "successful" it is