Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Concerning Shazam, which is a thing I wish dearly, please try www.audiotag.info
It's manually operated by now - you must record part of the tune you're listening at, send the file through the web interface, satisfy a captcha, and finally you get the piece of info you needed.
But it could be automated. The folks at audiotag.info seems collaborative, and some developer could get interested and do the thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Alexandria,Egypt
thanks debernardis this is an alternative but still we need a program for n900,i wanted to ask something is there a way to help instinctiv like upload them songs or send them url like the site you just referd but instead they provide us on their site we provide them with different types of songs so that we get provided with all that on program itself??

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Alexandria,Egypt
ofcourse we all thank & totally appreciate MAEMO 5 COMMUNITY SSU for all their support to all of us.

Hi all, although I'm not a big fan of nokia's actions towards the market, however it still seems to be making the best of the market, with the widest range of mobiles and I think the larger market share..
That to say, they also did another mistake by making the N900, its just too good for them
My idea here, and it may sound silly or inconceivable, is that we get the source code, and designs for the N900, open/join a community project like SSU. And upgrade it ourselves and try to pitch it back to them, or any other party in the mobile industry.
The main pitch here, is that this phone is incredible for developers, IT admins, web masters.. etc. And if marketed this way, it should see some light.
I've seen the new Samsung google nexus on youtube, and damn that baby is cool.
But the maemo far more handy for me..
I'm sorry I'm still new here, and I'm trying to find some time to joing the community, but I think with the right workforce we can do this in our spare time..
It doesn't have to be the best phone (it shouldn't be the best phone)
it should be the best phone for us
Tell me what you think
--
Cheers
--
Alex Seif

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Alex: If you have any plan that assumes Nokia will cooperate in any way, forget it.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Alex: If you have any plan that assumes Nokia will cooperate in any way, forget it.
a) it doesn't hurt to try.
b) the plan is to have nokia provide information (and this i can forget) but still (a) rocks, you wont believe what you can believe in (a)

@ the end it was an idea, and I'd like every kinda feedback, positive or negative to show where we can do with this

sorry for the many typos its 5:00 am here, and I haven't slept yet.. :s

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Bangladesh
Honestly, i know very little about the CSSU as i only have had the n900 for a few month or so.

but ive read tons of posts here on this forum and came to know that the forgotten legend has been continuously revived by the CSSU.
and so i respect their work and passion for the device , hoping it goes on for the love of n900.

many features like Portrait mode,FMradio,fmms and tons more support from developers and CSSU actually completed the awesome device. and their hard work for making it better and better everyday just amazes me.

would love for future support from CSSU and even if Nokia came to help on it wouldnot be bad for us i guess

The Following User Says Thank You to techdude2121 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
You do realise nokia pretty much despises its own maemo community? They:
  • Stopped caring to fix the issues outstanding in the bug lists. Apart from a few discussions before marking bugs as WONTFIX
  • Stopped production of N900 and those with faulty N900 were offered N8/E7 as `equivalent' replacement to N900. What part of N8/E7 makes N900 is well beyond me.
  • Never openly addressed their issues with their SUPL server thus making users rely on google's SUPL server instead.
  • Still haven't bothered fixing up Ovi suite properly and instead closes on extra features that Ovi was meant to provide such as storage space and what not.
  • Redirected all the information about N900 to the so called swype N9 now. So if one visits N900's online user manual they will be redirected to N9.
  • Crippled N950 and gave it away to selected developers for free. N950 was supposedly the next best thing compared to N900 now only selected developers gets to own one.
  • Crippled N9 and sold it in certain countries. The rest of the countries that N9 won't be officially made for sale gets the latter lumia series powered by wp7/mango that Flop envisioned.

If you seriously think nokia would actually care about the maemo/meego community and be a little more corporative they would have done things that would please us rather than annoy us.

The only way for one to support the dying embers of N900 now is to buy up the remaining N900 before they are scrapped. This is pretty much your last chance in getting a proper linux distro shoehorned inside a device with phone capabilities.

Last edited by tuxsavvy; 2011-11-20 at 06:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Dubai
The only way we all can fight back is to boycott nokia phones. I've done it with buying iP4 last year and this year i went with LG Optimus 3D P920. So i have best of both worlds, iOS and Android. THey both have thriving community with great devs who provide custom fw (for android only).

I'm grateful for maemo community for at least keeping my N900 alive for extra few months after nokia ditched it in 2010. I mainly use it now as an mp3 player to listen to music while in the toilet.

You guys should move to android and will find it so much more versatile and exciting platform to work on.

Sad to see still many people fell into nokia's trap of N9 which is again a failure with no future.

Tags
dead horse, just shoot me, noone cares, omgwtf, so pointless