Notices

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Anyone happen to have the tarball somewhere? Nevermind.

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Antonio, TX
I've been using this for a day or so now and I seriously love it.

@mikkov: I also had problems with that rename line, I just replaced
Code:
rename("$tmpdir/00000002.jpg", "$DATA_DIR/data/$file.jpg");
with
Code:
system("mv", "$tmpdir/00000002.jpg", "$DATA_DIR/data/$file.jpg");
and it worked great. Apparently this is because my home directory and my tmp directory are on different physical drives.

This is *sort of* on topic: I've been doing a LOT of testing for video playback optimization on my n800, and this is the best setting I've come up with so far for 770-encode:
Code:
    n800    => { abitrate => 128, vbitrate => 1400, width => 400, height => 240, fps => 30 },
I also include these lines right after options are defined:
Code:
$options{"original-aspect"} ||= '';
$options{"experimental"} ||= '';
With those set, it no longer automatically crops my video (very annoying for movies with subtitles >_>) and it may just be me but the experimental filters seem to work nicely. A note on these fairly high settings, however, is that mencoder is pretty much barely keeping up with the encoding on my Athlon 3500+ with nothing else running (I don't even run Xorg on that machine) and running almost anything else will make the video lag. It does work very nicely for non-realtime encoding though, if you have a slower processor!
If anyone else has done any research in this vein, please let me know what settings you're using. I'm a bit of a videophile so I'm always looking for ways to better encode my videos!

Just for ease of reference, I also recommend checking this out for setting mplayer as your default video player in opera; it just makes the whole video viewing process smoother. I set my cache size to about 4000, which makes it take a little longer to start playing but leads to less jumpyness at the beginning and gives mencoder a bit of a headstart. Also, in the command line he uses for mplayer, "-vo x11 -ao sdl" needs to be removed because it causes problems, and "-fs" doesn't need to be in there, it does the same thing either way.

Anyway, I'm eagerly looking forward to the next release!

Last edited by rm_you; 2007-10-26 at 05:33.

Is the site just overloaded or is there some other location to get the install?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
The site was down this morning during a server move. For those in the UK, it'd've been when you should've been asleep... for elsewhere in the world - sorry.

It should now be backup.

There's a beta of 0.03 at:

http://www.bleb.org/software/maemo/m...rv-0.03.tar.gz

Comments welcome.

Originally Posted by kbarter View Post
Hi Andrew, I tried sending this to you via mail, but it was bounced back. I assume that this is because of the server move...
Indeed.

I have been playing with latest version for a little while, and it is looking really nice. The MythTV meta data is displayed, and the thumbnails are being created now.
Excellent.

I have some subdirectories under my mythtv directory, and mediaserv tries to look them up in the database. The message returned by mythname.pl is /media/mythtv/n800 is not in the database. Perhaps a check for this message, or a check to make sure the object is a file before looking up the info would work.
It should now check that it's a file in the latest beta.

My only other concern at this point is that I have 300+ recordings for mythtv (and it is growing). I know that this is not large by many peoples standards. Perhaps a future enhancement could be some sort of paging. That is only display 20 or 50 or whatever videos per page.
Good idea. Added to the "KNOWN BUGS".

Beautiful software. Thanks

Originally Posted by mplawner View Post
Beautiful software. Thanks
Thanks, such feedback is much appreciated :-)

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Andrew

0.03 is really great.

One thing which would be useful, certainly for us mythtv fans, would be to have the capability to have multiple folders, for tv recordings and videos.

I know it's possible to have subfolders and with 0.02, I had it working by creating symlinks to the required folders. That approach breaks the metadata in 0.03 though, as the $path variable passed to mythname.pl has the subfolder passed though as part of it, rather than just the filename. Nothing to difficult to fix, but my very limited and basic perl skills are not up to making the change and passing it back to you.

Good work though. Thanks

Gary

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Antonio, TX
The beta seems to work fairly well for me (I haven't tried linking it up with my MythTV yet though, no time at the moment for that) except the handling of the IP detection is now broken with my setup.

I have my server behind a router, meaning it has an internal IP like 192.168.*, but the outside address is a FQDN. It was working fine with just setting the $ip to my FQDN in version 0.02, but now it fails with "Unable to open socket my.domain.com:8090 - Cannot assign requested address".

This means I have to make $ip my internal IP and hardcode $URL to be my external FQDN, or else it doesn't point my browser to the right place. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of! (Also, I use VMWare, and when I let it autodetect my IP it chooses the last available interface, VMWare's vmnet, over eth0... I suppose mine is a exceptional case though >_>)

Last edited by rm_you; 2007-10-26 at 18:43.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Good work Andrew. Works perfect.

A little bug, is that in Debian /sbin/ isn't in the PATH for default (as in maemo). So when searching for 'ifconfig' it shows a error that it doesn't found ifconfig.

Regards.