Poll: Would you use a server offering free tablet services? (Jabber/E-mail/etc...)
Poll Options
Would you use a server offering free tablet services? (Jabber/E-mail/etc...)

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
So the main point would be to give tablet-users an easy to use all-in-one solution, with documentation etc. based on the tablet interface, and not so much in the service as such? Oh. - Oh! Thats it.
Yeah, you've got the idea. A lot of newbies just don't know how some of these things work, don't know they exist, can't find the right places, etc... so kind of a combined graphical "how-to"/"what is"/"why" along with the service itself.

Of course, it certainly wouldn't be limited to newbies and advanced users will just be given the info they need, etc...

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Okay.. seems like "if the right services were available" is going to be a winner... so what are the right services for you? What are you looking for? What do you want? Go wild.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Tex is thinking big. I like that.
1 out of maybe 100 times it's the right thing to do.

EDIT: I dunno why I like it but-- trafficant.net

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-10-31 at 16:44.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
1 out of maybe 100 times it's the right thing to do.

EDIT: I dunno why I like it but-- trafficant.net
I don't know why you like it either.

That hurts.

Something with tablet in the name would probably be best, I think. Anyone have any other ideas?

I had some awesome ones, but they're already taken. But trust me: I'm good at domain names. I'll nail it.

tabletportal.org

I'm screwing around with Openfire 3.3.3. Looks pretty well done (at least the Windows version I have to run here at work). I'd like to hold off for 3.4.0 which is supposed to be released today. Apparently v1.2.0 of the IM gateways have support for avatars (which some people find pretty important) and works only with 3.4.0.

Last edited by zerojay; 2007-10-31 at 17:31.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Yeah, you've got the idea. A lot of newbies just don't know how some of these things work, don't know they exist, can't find the right places, etc... so kind of a combined graphical "how-to"/"what is"/"why" along with the service itself.
Instead of a howto, why not a "do" - like (i'm dreaming now):
create an application that asks for a name (or the tablet owners real name, whatever) & a password - then generates Jabber, Mail, SIP, ITT...-accounts for the user and configures them on the tablet. would be two input fields and you're ready to go.
(of course it would be nice if this would come pre-installed, like skype. otherwise the inexperienced user would need to find out how to install software....)