Active Topics

Notices

I'm getting the following error when I try to run:

ALERT
Error when creating PythonPlugins instance:
TypeError: Components.classes['@tmm.com/pythonplugins/pythonplugins'] has on properties
[ OK ]

What the heck does that mean? O-: Anybody else getting this?

"most of us aren't running it, so why would we install it just for this program?"
Like I said before, I really don't think this is aimed at us, I think it's aimed at people who haven't even heard of Linux and never will do until it comes shipped with PCs as standard.

There's not really anything in this application for advanced users, we've already got converters which do everything this app does and more. It's meant to be a "converter for dummies", a way to build a larger userbase and not necessarily intended to please experienced tablet owners.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Heh. I remember when that quote would have most certainly have ended with "a macintosh". :-}
Well, Macintoshes tend to cost more while PCs nowadays cost peanuts. Most people don't want that much from their computers nowadays so they tend to go for the cheapest models.

Of course, PCs would cost even less if they were running Linux instead of Windows.

Mediaconverter works great for me. Have it on my MacBookpro and WinVista tower. Out-put quality is dang good

Care to put a sample of something encoded with that to the internet?

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned mediaconverter

Java, works on linux, gui, and it worked for me (it's a while since I used it). Note, although the page says n770, it works for the n800 as well.
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
Don't know whether that works for 770 but I just hate it when I check "compatibility" and there is nothing mentioned about 770, like it never existed in the first place!

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ sofia, bulgaria
Originally Posted by dormant View Post
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned mediaconverter

Java, works on linux, gui, and it worked for me (it's a while since I used it). Note, although the page says n770, it works for the n800 as well.
very good app, i use it regularly. i hope konttori will have time to update it...

Originally Posted by mrp View Post
Don't know whether that works for 770 but I just hate it when I check "compatibility" and there is nothing mentioned about 770, like it never existed in the first place!
Yeah, that is bogus as usual but not to worry... if there is one thing good old 770 still does better than the shiny new N8x0s, it's video.

I have tried converting a home-made video (AVI in native DV format, about 700MB for three minutes) with the Nokia tool. It yielded a 17MB MP4 (on the "best" setting), surprisingly fast too (on a 4-year old, not too powerful PC). The file plays just fine on both the 770 and N800, sound & video are smooth (although it looks better on the N800 because the screen is livelier).

Another nonsensical "compatibility" indication on the download page is the requirement for an "Intel" Pentium" 4, Intel Centrino" processor". Of course it runs just fine on an AMD Barton 2500 :-)

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Originally Posted by Jupex View Post
Care to put a sample of something encoded with that to the internet?
Yes, that would be really helpful!
A small, legal one of preference

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Hi guys,

My name is Victor Brilon. I am the Product Manager in Nokia that's responsible for the Video Converter app (among other things). I've been lurking here a while so I figured I should post and address some of the issues raised in this topic

The easy one first -- from Post #21 -- the reason you're seeing the error about the PythonPlugins instance is that the Windows .NET framework is not installed. You can check whether it is or it isn't by looking in the Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs. The Video Converter app should install .NET for you if it's not there already. Did you by any chance stop that part of the installer or something? In either case, if you can reproduce this bug with a clean install, please let me know (via PM or in this thread) and we'll look into it ASAP.

Ok on to some less easier to answer topics...

The most common comment I am seeing is "Why Windows only?". Let me preface this by saying we don't hate non-Windows users I am a full-time OS X and Linux guy as are many members of our team. This application is targeted at less sophisticated/experienced Tablet users. These are people who probably don't even know that ITT or garage.maemo.org exist (and frankly don't care). The reality is that the majority of these users are on Windows, and we have to cater to them on their platform.

Having said that, we definitely want to target other platforms. I am currently working on a project plan to release a version for Windows Vista as well as OS X. I don't want to commit to a time for these, but I really want to get them out as soon as it's feasible, given R&D/time/resource constraints that are inevitable in any project.

Several people have asked for a Linux version as well. Honestly we have not planned for a Linux version as most of these users are happy using the Open Source alternative that are out there (like Urho Konttori's excellent app). If we were to do a Linux version, what target do we have there? I.E., what distribution (RedHat and its famiy, Debian and its family, some other), what window system (KDE, Gnome, something else) do we shoot for? Please let me know your thoughts on this as well as what you'd like to see in this product feature-wise. I absolutely cannot commit to a Linux version now (not only because of the above issues, but there's quite a bit of technical issues to work out with codecs and such), but I am interested in your opinions on the matter.

Any other suggestions/ideas/flames/compliments you have, please post them here or PM me. I'm also working on setting up a maemo Bugzilla entry for this application so you are able to file any bugs you discover.

Thanks for your enthusiasm and feedback. You have no idea how gratifying it is for me to see people in the real world using products that we spent so much time designing and working on And stay tuned as we have some surprises planned for future releases of this software.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vbrilon For This Useful Post: