Shoe shine I can do. Please send your shoes to the address at the bottom of this post.

Methinks I'll go and have a look at the wiki, and size up the amount of work needed to kick off a proper FAQ.

Looks like someone has already made a start! Which one of you generous characters was it?

Seriously, though : I recall several (not many but several) occurrences, in the early days of ITT, of newbies having their questions answered by only-slightly-less newbies (but generally experienced Linux hands) and then following up with their own Wiki page to write down the solution in their own words. Works wonders when it happens...

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I guess there are three responses I'll give when someone posts a question that has already been answered a dozen times and can be found with a little effort on the part of the poster (OP):

1. Post the answer yet again
2. Post a comment instructing the OP to search for their answer
3. Post nothing as it's just a pain in the arse repeating what is already available
Well, there's always:

4. Post a rude response suggesting that if they had searched, using <search terms>, they'd have found this thread<link to thread> where I already answered that question.

Of course, you could skip the rude bit, but calling helpless newbs by crude anatomical references can have a therapeutic effect.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Seriously, though : I recall several (not many but several) occurrences, in the early days of ITT, of newbies having their questions answered by only-slightly-less newbies (but generally experienced Linux hands) and then following up with their own Wiki page to write down the solution in their own words. Works wonders when it happens...
So, if I posted a title, for example, 'For the Wiki - SD card speed recommendations' with the understanding that I would try to summarize any answers in the wiki then you experts might consider repeating yourself one last time and not tell me to go search myself?

I would buy that deal.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Of course, you could skip the rude bit, but calling helpless newbs by crude anatomical references can have a therapeutic effect.
Yeah, they decide that they made a mistake in buying a tablet, return it if they can and move on with their lives. Nokia does not sell many tablets and gives up on the market. No N9xx for you.

Like it or not, you folks are Nokia's Marketing Department

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Yes, everyone agrees that is the right solution. Now all we need is volunteers to write those FAQs in the Wiki :-)
It would be nice if we could get some structure. I'd be more than happy to contribute to faq-writing (provided it's about insanely easy subjects), but a high-level coordinator will be sorely needed.

I'd suggest a list of faq-volunteers is compiled somewhere, a coordinator is (s)elected among them and a list of subjects is then collected and presented for choosing/assigning.

I volunteer for coordinator only on the condition that I'm given absolute power. Oh, and I'll be needing a multi-terawatt laser on the Moon.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Yes, everyone agrees that is the right solution. Now all we need is volunteers to write those FAQs in the Wiki :-)
I agree, but boy this is tough problem to solve. I love to write and would happily contribute to the wiki, but
a) there's a lot of more 'senior' members who know more and
b) who would 'review' contributions for accuracy?

I really would enjoy helping as I think this is one of the most crucial aspects needed for this wonderful forum and the community it represents.

Should there be a 'wiki-manager'? Do we already have someone doing this? Reggie? How should/could this work?

Edit: I just saw Karel's post. I nominate him! Absolute power should be granted!

Originally Posted by dont View Post
So, if I posted a title, for example, 'For the Wiki - SD card speed recommendations' with the understanding that I would try to summarize any answers in the wiki then you experts might consider repeating yourself one last time and not tell me to go search myself?
I would buy that deal.
If over 80% of all new topics starting with "For the Wiki -..." actually result in a new Wiki page with something useful in it, I'll but it too... willing to try, just to see :-)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
Edit: I just saw Karel's post. I nominate him! Absolute power should be granted!
I was joking! There are a gazillion dudes/dudettes more qualified than me on this forum.