Active Topics

OK - we have a full screen browser on startup solution here - thanks for everyones' efforts. In summary:

1) obtain root access on the device by installing becomeroot - I used this direct link to the deb file .

2) open the xterm on the tablet and type 'sudo gainroot' to obtain root access, change directory (cd .. twice) back to directory root, then enter the /etc/osso-af-init/ directory.

3) edit the startup script file with vi ( type vi real-af-startup ), and insert the following line in the script toward the bottom:

rm -f /tmp/im_disable_tools_menu

/usr/bin/browser --url=http://google.com --full-screen &

;;
stop)

4) save the file in vi (esc for command mode, then :wq to write and quit) and restart the device.

RESULT: device will start normally with nokia spash screen and will launch the browser automatically. Browser will be in the window mode until connecting to a stored wifi network in range, then the browser will go full screen as expected.

Again, I'm using this for a charity project (www.chemoconnect.org) with these tablets, so this is extra-special help and all posters here get my extra-special thanks. Cancer patients are using my n800's to be entertained, communicate, and learn more about their treatment. Think about what YOU can do with your technical skills to make a difference in the lives of others - you'll be suprised, I promise.

The Following User Says Thank You to mcdaniel_bill For This Useful Post:
Additional unresolved topic discussed in this thread : automatically zoom the screen on startup to XXX% (150% would be ideal for me) - this is an OS shell config i think and it is not retained during reboot by default.

So anyone know how to retain your zoom level on the device OR script the default zoom level to a value other than the default 100%?

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by mcdaniel_bill View Post
RESULT: device will start normally with nokia spash screen and will launch the browser automatically. Browser will be in the window mode until connecting to a stored wifi network in range, then the browser will go full screen as expected.
Good info here! Just a quick follow up for anyone who's interested in improving the final result a little: with a few extra steps you can make it so that when the splash screen goes away the browser is just there in full screen mode waiting (this way the user never sees the desktop at all). The downside is, well, you have to wait on the splash screen a little longer obviously...

So, complete all the steps previously mentioned first. Then add the following:

1) As root (see gainroot step previously) enter the following commands:
ln -s /usr/bin/osso_startup_greeting /usr/bin/osso_startup_greetingB
ln -s /usr/bin/osso_startup_greeting.launch /usr/bin/osso_startup_greetingB.launch

This creates "copies" of the greeting under a different name. The problem is the hildon window manager is hard-coded to kill the greeting screen when it begins to load (the desktop first displays), so to avoid that behaviour we simply make sure the greeting is launched under a different name...

2) Change the greeting to the "new one" and update it's settings (if desired)
cd /etc/osso-af-init
vi startup-greeting.sh

press "i" to go into "insert mode", then navigate down to the lines that currently read:
if test -f /home/user/first-boot-flag; then
/usr/bin/osso_startup_greeting
kill -USR1 `pidof osso_startup_greeting`
else
fi

and change it to:
if test -f /home/user/first-boot-flag; then
kill -USR1 `pidof osso_startup_greeting`
else
/usr/bin/osso_startup_greetingB -p
fi

The only major change is to execute osso_startup_greetingB instead of just osso_startup_greeting. I added the -p flag as well which gives you the nice spinny "progress" indicator after the splash screen just because the splash is going to be up for a little longer now and it's nice to know visually that it's still doing something rather than just sitting there. If you don't want that behaviour and prefer just the splash, then don't add the "-p".

If you're using VI don't forget to press "escape" then "ZZ" to save and exit.

At this point things should work, but I found that the default timing on the splash screen was a bit long for my preferences, so I added one more step

3) cd /etc/init.d
vi killSplash.sh
Press "i" for insert, and paste the following:

#!/bin/sh

sleep 2
kill $(pidof osso_startup_greetingB)

Then "escape", and "ZZ" to save and quit.
chmod a+x killSplash.sh

Finally link it in:
cd /etc/rc2.d
vi S99zbootdone
Press "i" for insert, and paste the following:

#!/bin/sh

/etc/init.d/killSplash.sh &

Press "escape", then "ZZ" to save and exit.
chmod a+x S99zbootdone

That should do it. I found that the "sleep 2" was long enough to have the browser appear and the tablet automatically already connected to the local AP, but you might want to adjust it to 3 or 4 depending on your experience and what you're going for (i.e. if you want to have a larger page preloaded in the background first), or even down to 1 if you have a local page that can load before the wifi connection has to be up.

And of course depending on what you're after you may want to take a look at making your own startup and greeting screens/sounds:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...9&postcount=10

No idea about the zoom thing btw, would make sense that there's an option for it but I couldn't find it anywhere except hardcoded into the microb source...

Thanks,
-Rob

Last edited by jolouis; 2008-04-10 at 19:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
You could use xte to send the zoom+ key several times... but maybe that's overkill.

Maybe, if you make a custom splash, it could include some useful reminder of the zoom keys with arrows pointing at them.

Originally Posted by jolouis View Post

That should do it. I found that the "sleep 2" was long enough to have the browser appear and the tablet automatically already connected to the local AP, but you might want to adjust it to 3 or 4 depending on your experience and what you're going for (i.e. if you want to have a larger page preloaded in the background first), or even down to 1 if you have a local page that can load before the wifi connection has to be up.

Thanks,
-Rob
Hey Thanks Rob - I've tested your solution and it works as you described it.

Before implimenting your killsplash script, my browser was opening and timing out before it could connect to my default site, displaying a 404 at startup.

Sleep 2 was enough time for me to connect to my AP, good to keep in mind that some devices may need just a little more time to connect to a network, and this script fixes that for us.