Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Sorry, too busy, it is first on the list but had no time recently. Hopefully it will be this week. If you are impatient, qwerty12 managed to get it with info provided in this thread (post #12) so you can too, it is not that hard, just adding kernel modules and fb_update_mode binary and few lines in bootmenu.sh and .conf.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

No problem, and I'll look at that. I too have been busy lately, and was hoping for a ready-made solution. Doing it myself will likely be beneficial, though.

Thanks for your efforts.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Well, I've gotten this working in Debian with my cheapo smallish USB keyboard. I just loaded the modules and did fb_update_mode auto . If you don't feel like hacking around with initscripts I suggest just doing it in /etc/rc.local . Keeps things nice and simple. Thanks again fanoush!

-John

Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
Well, I've gotten this working in Debian with my cheapo smallish USB keyboard.
Just today I got similar one for this
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11933
Had no USB keyboard at home at all so got this one for such experiments. Works with N810 at least, keys feel cheap. Arrived in 13 days. I ordered it mainly for testing this but expected it after basic support in initfs is done. Looks like I'm slower than Honk-Kong post :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
BTW: If you don't mind me asking, what kernel config options do I need to set/disable? I'd prefer compiling in kernel rather than insmod'ing modules at initfs.
I'd like to know this as well (in addition to what the process is to compile a kernel in scratchbox, kernel building always seems to be somewhat odd).

Also, any progress on the new initfs?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Capn_Fish View Post
I'd like to know this as well (in addition to what the process is to compile a kernel in scratchbox, kernel building always seems to be somewhat odd).
http://maemo.org/development/documen...for_maemo.html
see also threads
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=6029
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=14666

framebuffer console is (when running make menuconfig)
Device Drivers --->
Graphics support --->
Console display driver support --->
[ ] Framebuffer Console support

or settable directly in .config
Code:
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_ROTATION is not set
# CONFIG_FONTS is not set
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
Originally Posted by Capn_Fish View Post
Also, any progress on the new initfs?
No. Last weeks we were moving to different place and I still have most of my stuff in boxes in our new apartment. Once we settle, it is a matter of one free evening.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I know the feeling fanoush, so much to do so little time. This is awesome stuff, I cannot believe I missed it for so long.

Is chvt working? Wow I gotta go play, really cool

Thanks Fanoush!!!!!!!!!!
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Amazon-Belém
On new release of debian: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=20053 this works... use chvt 1 to go to Text mode... and chvt 2 to back... dont try close X11

Got this in PM but I'll post reply here for others to see too to prevent same question again and for possible feedback from others, it is relevant to this thread, I hope qwerty12 doesn't mind.

Originally Posted by qwerty12
Hi,

I've read that you integrated your framebuffer programs into the bootmenu but I cannot see the modules there.
Yes, modules are the missing part. Already found that old ones from chinook kernel work just fine too. New kernel is not much different but still worth to have even for booting previous firmware.

Originally Posted by qwerty12
Am I to presume that I should compile the required modules for framebuffer using kernel-source-diablo as my kernel source and place the modules manually into the initfs like last time?
I plan to add them to the flasher but since I support OS2006,7 and 8 I did not manage to prepare all versions yet. Yes, you can also add them manually like before.

BTW I found there is easy way of spawning shell on console in initfs, busybox in initfs has openvt command, just make sure /dev/tty1 exists (cp -a it over from rootfs) and run 'openvt 1 /bin/sh'.

Basically everything is almost in place for usb keyboard mode, with N810 keyboard you can't write any number (Fn does nothing) which is pretty critical so tweaking keyboard mapping is needed. busybox has loadkmap/dumpkmap but so far I don't know exact format of the file. Maybe it can be set up in debian with real loadkeys/dumpkeys or whatever is used for tweakin the keymap and then dumpkmap it for using it with busybox.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:

Tags
framebuffer