Notices

How about upgrading the functionality of the real player that we already have? I just downloaded the latest version (11?) on my xp; it even playes flv files.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by MoridinBG View Post
...How is it possible that none of the available media players does not provide an equalizer?
XMMS has a beautiful equalizer and happens to work on N8x0 too.

bun

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by iliaden View Post
just for the record, I have a [semi-broken] acer n311.
400mhz cpu, 64mb ram, 640x480 resolution. close enough to my n800 (OS2008).
I made a simple test: ran the same file on both computers:
That's great. I don't have any windows mobile PDA myself, so sharing your impressions about the performance and features of TCPMP is very much welcome.

1) on "normal" video quality, the n800 is *a bit* better; video extremely laggy on both.
It is interesting, so we might already have more or less the same proformance in mplayer/ffmpeg. This makes the decision where to put efforts quite obvious: it is better to continue improving actively developed project (mplayer/ffmpeg) than a dead one (TCPMP)

By the way, does TCPMP have any kind of built-in benchmarking? For example, you can easily get information about the number of frames dropped by mplayer. If the same statistics can be obtained for TCPMP, that would make the comparison more "scientific"

2) when reducing the quality to "low" on the TCPMP, my acer plays the video smoothly (with a bit lower quality, but more than acceptable on the VGA screen). I haven't yet tried the command on my n800.
Currently 'lowres' decoding mode just started to work. It does not have all the needed optimizations yet: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...4&postcount=27

If people are more or less satisfied with the image quality when using this mode, I may invest more efforts into making it really fast.

I will post the comparison on youtube for you to see.
Good. You can also try some other videos to see if the results are consistent.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
update on the comparison:

media (info from TCPMP):
duration: 2:59.879s
filesize: 53500kb
video: MPEG-4
codec: CoreASP
video size: 640x480
framerate:25.00
audio: MP3
format: 48000hz Stereo
audio bitrate: 128kb/s

Media info (From MPlayer):
Video: XVID, 640x480 24bpp 25.000 fps 2298.3kbps (280.6 kbyte/s)
clip info: software VirtualDubMod 1.5.4.1
video codec: ffodivx vfm: FFmpeg MPEG-4
audio: 48000hz, 2ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/8.33%

stats from TCPMP, played in fullscreen, from SD card "normal quality" (no modifications):
frames played:4519
frames dropped:3697
displayed FPS:4.547
comments: low FPS - looks like 2-4 FPS; good quality - all details present; no audio lag; impossible to watch a movie due to low FPS.

stats from TCPMP, played in fullscreen, from SD card "low quality":
frames played: 4539
frames dropped: 1095
displayed FPS: 18.969
comment: perfect FPS - no lag noticed at all. acceptable quality - loss of minor details; still good to watch a movie

Stats from Mplayer, played in fullscreen, original quality:
notes: a) got "your system is too SLOW to play this!" [duh... i know that already]
b) in the middle of the playback (about 1:30), got a complete lag for ~10s. after this, i obtained 3 frames in the following 30s
c) audio - OK (with the exception of the audio lag) video - inexistent.
d) got [mpeg4 @ 0x46ade4]marker does not match f_code MANY times.
stats (if someone knows how to interpret!):
A: 178.6 V: 160.6 A-V: 18.079 ct: 15.915 4015/4015 120% 0% 13.7%

Stats from Mplayer, played in fullscreen, with -lavdopts lowres=1
comments: choppy video (like original quality on n311); the framerate actually seems worse.
comment2: quote:
MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: decode_video
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM
Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make 'gdb' backtrace and disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crasher. This shouldn't happen.
It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your gcc version.

I have MPlayer 1.0rc1-maemo.27.n8x0

Stats from Mplayer, played in fullscreen, with -lavdopts lowres=2

comments: no lag at all; great FPS; worse resolution than the n311 with "low resolution", but more than acceptable playback.
crashed in the middle (about 1:00) got the same quote as before. The crash occurred at different sections of the clip.
stats:
A: 65.8 V: 68.3 A-V: 0.151 ct: 0.032 1709/1709 72% 1% 11.0% 3

bottom line:
although the screen is larger on the n800 (4.1" vs 3.7"), the resolution of the video is still the same since the borders are cut on the n800 (see video resolution)
on the original quality, the n311 works better - better framerate; no audio lag...
is there another command for optimizing MPlayer?

I rethought about the idea of youtube - you will not be able to see the difference in the quality. I will rather post the video on a host site and give you the link.

system comparison:
n311:
400mhz
Windows Mobile 5
64mb RAM; 53 user-available
video played from SD card (SDIO, 1gb)

n800:
400mhz
OS2008
128mb RAM, 128MB swap just in case
video played from internal SD: 16gb, class6.

in both cases, TCPMP and terminal+MPlayer were the only programs open.

Last edited by iliaden; 2008-05-12 at 15:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to iliaden For This Useful Post:
If you are running mplayer from xterm, make sure to provide it with '-quiet' (otherwise output to console eats too much of the resources) and '-benchmark' options. Also if you run it as root, it may have problems getting configuration options, so you may want to add '-framedrop', '-noslices' and maybe some other options. Make sure that mplayer is using 'omapfb' driver for video output and 'sdl' for audio (with libmad decoder). Thanks.

edit: Anyway, better try to play this video in the 'standard' mplayer GUI till it finishes itself. After the playback finishes (I hope it will not crash ), press 'Report' button to get the screen with statistics. The information about the number of dropped frames will be at the very bottom. The default configuration should be theoretically best tuned.

Last edited by Serge; 2008-05-12 at 15:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serge For This Useful Post:
so you may want to add '-framedrop', '-noslices' and maybe some other options.
could you give me the entire list?

I was running as user (will try root now). It was using omapfb and sdl (the problem isn't there)

# mplayer -quiet - benchmark -noslices
process 11110: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such file or directory
D-Bus not built in with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Run "dbus-uuidgen --ensure=/var/lib/dbus/machine-id" as root

$ mplayer -quiet - benchmark -noslices -framedrop
got a record FPS of about 0.75!!!

#dbus-uuidgen --ensure=/var/lib/dbus/machine-id

# mplayer -quiet - benchmark -noslices -framedrop
now, even the audio lags! and the framerate dropped down (to ~0.3)

other ideas?

Originally Posted by iliaden View Post
got a record FPS of about 0.75!!!
What is 0.75? Can you provide a complete statistics? Also try running the same benchmark with additional '-lavdopts lowres=1' option. Running mplayer as user should be ok, you don't need to run it as root. Additional option you may want to try is '-hardframedrop' (but you may get artefacts on screen).

Sharing this video somewhere would be the best option. At least we know how TCPMP handles it on a CPU with a comparable clock frequency.

I don't get any system stats due to the -quiet!

$ mplayer -quiet - benchmark -noslices -hardframedrop
get about 1fps video. no stats available yet

p.s. plz tell me how to interpret the stats