Notices

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by eliagp View Post
I have to really thank you for this, I love manga, and one of the reasons I got the N800 was the Comix app. however it dissapointed me completely, as it choked on larger files and would crash halfway trough a chapter. Now you have given me a great little app that does everything I hoped comix would. THANKS
Glad you like it :-) You pretty much nailed the reason I did that port.

Originally Posted by Navi View Post
There's a bit of delay when scrolling. Evince is definitely snappier with comic archives (as much of a CPU and memory whore it is). Also, the fit-to-width doesn't adjust the size properly. It leaves a bit of extra space horizontally, as evident by the scroll bar in fit-to-width.
Navi, do you mean when changing pages, or when scrolling within the page?

I'm working on a build that uses no temporary files. I was worried about performance (read somewhere that the gdk_pixbuf_loader is really slow), but it looks like the SD card is even slower. It seems a bit snappier to move between pages, although that may be a placebo effect If this works out well, this will solve the problems for those that don't have an internal memory card once and for all, at the expense of, oh, 10 KB of RAM for the memory buffer.

I think the horizontal scroll bar shows up because the vertical scroll bar shows up, and the adjustment for the vertical scroll bar is incorrect. I'll see if I can add an option to remove all scrollbars altogether, given that they aren't that useful when using the pen to scroll anyways...

And I hope to nail the darn problem with the lines appearing in the image, but I'm not too sure what's causing it. It doesn't happen on the desktop I've made the pen-scrolling a bit more fluid and less processor intensive, though the lines still happen.

It's a bit too late in my timezone to do a release and not have it break on everyone (I'm a bit tired), so I'll test it properly and send it out tomorrow.

The Following User Says Thank You to bge For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bge View Post
And I hope to nail the darn problem with the lines appearing in the image, but I'm not too sure what's causing it. It doesn't happen on the desktop I've made the pen-scrolling a bit more fluid and less processor intensive, though the lines still happen.
It seems to occur when you're scrolling upwards - a little white line appears, then if you scroll back down the line stays where it was drawn.
When scrolling downwards there's no line.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
I also got the lines, but i just try not to use more size than what the screens has. I think it would be nice to have an auto save feature, like fbreader, for those larger volume files, and a way to queue smaller chapter files to open one after the other. Other than the experience with this app has been great I really like the fact that it self rotates when it gets a double page, and it hasn't crashed at all. Thanks again!

Edit: Also a way to tell you've reached the end of a file would be a great idea, since I (not sure about other people) think its just that its stuck when i try to go on. Since some comics end in cliffhangers, sometimes it hard to tell its the end of a volume.

Last edited by eliagp; 2008-09-25 at 21:45.

It already seems to save your position within a single file - but if you open a different comic and go back, it won't remember where you were in the first one.

You're right, I didn't pay attention to that. It even works after a reboot. Btw i noticed than when scrolling with the scroll bar, when scrolling upward the releasing, only one line appears, at the top of your original position. you can create more than one line this way, but scrolling so that the 'lined' part is hidden, deletes all but one. (mostly tried with fit to width). I'll post if I find something else.

Anyone experience an inability to full screen with the full screen button? It seems to act like a double click of some sort, i can have it stay in full screen by holding the button down, but releasing the button has it go back to windowed (doubled input on key up?). The full screen button on the toolbar works fine, though. I'm on the latest diablo on an N810, not sure if that means anything

Also, would it be hard to support Page_Up and Page_down as an alternate way of paging? I'm thinking of how slideRotate's remapping of the zoom buttons as page_up and page_down would be a nice addition for flipping when using the tablet in portrait mode, without having to remap the keys (so that you still retain key setup in landscape mode) Speaking of which, CW and CCW rotation? I'm fine either way, but just a thought in case other people are used to one or the other (since sliderotate defaults to CCW)

Edit: PS -> Thanks for the awesome program! forgot to mention it, as I am currently using (but am unsatisfied with) Comix as well, the faster load and button configurations on this makes this a much appreciated choice =P

Last edited by IcyAirs; 2008-09-26 at 19:23. Reason: added thanks

I haven't had any issues with the zoom button, on Diablo. Since I have an N800 I can't say much about the other buttons, but Portrait mode works great with CCW, given the button position. Again, whatever problems it may have i'm still deleting comix and keeping this one. For the first time it felt okay to read a whole series in the tablet. Thanks again! (and again and again)

First, I'd like to thank everybody for the excellent feedback. I haven't posted the new version yet because I've had other matters to attend to--my daughter was born last Thursday! Let's say my free time has, shall we say, evaporated... She's sleeping right now, so I have a bit of time to post this.

I apologize for not realizing the promised update, but I'm sure you'll all forgive me.

The good news is that I've had some time to test the update, and it does appear to be a trifle faster and fixes the "tearing" problem. It's still not quite as fast as evince, but that's because evince caches pages in advance. This also explains why it's such a memory hog I'll post this time permitting--I have a few things to coordinate with the original author of cbrPager and Sourceforge.

I also got the lines, but i just try not to use more size than what the screens has. I think it would be nice to have an auto save feature, like fbreader, for those larger volume files,
As noticed by others, it does have such a feature to a limited bookmarks for the last file you opened (I was lazy when implementing this Full bookmarks are to be done eventually.

and a way to queue smaller chapter files to open one after the other. Other than the experience with this app has been great I really like the fact that it self rotates when it gets a double page, and it hasn't crashed at all. Thanks again!

Edit: Also a way to tell you've reached the end of a file would be a great idea, since I (not sure about other people) think its just that its stuck when i try to go on. Since some comics end in cliffhangers, sometimes it hard to tell its the end of a volume.
I've added those two suggestions to the TODO list. The second suggestion is much more likely to go in than the other one.

Originally Posted by IcyAirs View Post
Anyone experience an inability to full screen with the full screen button? It seems to act like a double click of some sort, i can have it stay in full screen by holding the button down, but releasing the button has it go back to windowed (doubled input on key up?). The full screen button on the toolbar works fine, though. I'm on the latest diablo on an N810, not sure if that means anything
Well, this may be related to a bit of a hack I stole from fbreader to work around a bug with hard keys. I react on button release rather than button press. I've had similar problems with the full screen button on scratchbox, but on my N800 it worked fine, so I thought it was a scratchbox quirk. Maybe it isn't after all. I've added this as a bugfix to do real soon.

Originally Posted by IcyAirs View Post
Also, would it be hard to support Page_Up and Page_down as an alternate way of paging? I'm thinking of how slideRotate's remapping of the zoom buttons as page_up and page_down would be a nice addition for flipping when using the tablet in portrait mode, without having to remap the keys (so that you still retain key setup in landscape mode) Speaking of which, CW and CCW rotation? I'm fine either way, but just a thought in case other people are used to one or the other (since sliderotate defaults to CCW)
Well, my idea was to have a toggle like FBReader where pressing the center button toggles between zoom in/out and page up/down. As far as configurable rotation, I'll see what I can do, it should be pretty straightforward.

So, to summarize, those are the things I'll try to fix in decreasing order of priority.

- Post the release I have working on my tablet right now, depending on how much sleep I get

- Make fullscreen button work on button press instead of release. This solves a problem for some people on the N810.

- Add options to disable scrollbars and use mouse-drag only.

- Notify when end/beginning of file reached so you know how to go to next file.

- Add a way to toggle between d-pad pages/d-pad scrolls current page using the center button.

- configurable rotation

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bge For This Useful Post:
First of all: Congratulations on the birth of your daughter!
As for the program, thanks for updating, It's so nice to see you taking our feedback!