Active Topics

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by briand View Post
...then you should use the entire thought, not just one phrase taken out of context.

The full quote is:

"You know that there's been tremendous turmoil in our financial markets and Wall St. And it is -- people are frightened by these events. Our economy, I think still -- the fundamentals of our economy are strong. But these are very, very difficult times."

Note that he's not saying (as the incomplete quote you offered, above, might infer) that we have a "fundamentally strong economy" here, but rather that the basis (fundamentals) upon which our economy is based, is solid.

When I was in high school, I came home one day to find this 'old jalopy' parked in our driveway. My dad had bought it for $1,250. It didn't look like much, but investigation proved the frame and engine were in very good shape. In other words, the fundamentals were solid... and some restoration work was required to return the vehicle to top condition. We did that work, most of it ourselves, and spent probably another $5,000 in parts and materials (all original, no reproductions), over the course of the next two years. We then spent several years trailering our fully-restored 1932 Ford Model A Sport Coupe all over the Northeast, where it took "Best of Show" or "Best in Class" at nearly every show we entered.

I'm sorry if the unsound business practices of your former banking institution caused you any trouble or anxiety. I hope you and your family are in a better situation now.

Well contrary to the FUD that Bush tried to scare everyone with, I am just fine and had no worries ever? Lets be clear though the fundamentals of our economy are not strong. Until we change the way things are done and hold people accountable instead of handing out 700Billion dollars in bailouts with no oversight (as requested), the fundamentals of our economy will never be strong. So from my perspective its was clear, the fundamentals of our economy are not strong.

We have +6% unemployment, +8% here is Michigan. The gas prices are insane, the food prices are insane, college costs are through the roof, people can't afford healthcare, seniors have to decide between food or medicine.

Nothing about our economy is strong, unless you own an oil company.

In 2007, the average annual household income rose 1.3% to $50,233.00 according to the Census Bureau.

Imagine making 50K a year and supporting a family in this economy.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-09-30 at 20:03.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
In 2007, the average annual household income rose 1.3% to $50,233.00 according to the Census Bureau.

Imagine that such pictures are tenuous extrapolations.

Consider that single workers each count as a separate household, and likely have lower income than most families. The low end gets weighted with these, so that average is probably a good deal different from the average income of households that are "supporting a family". Not trying to argue how good or bad the economy's fundamentals are, but that statistic doesn't translate to the picture you're trying to paint.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Well contrary to the FUD that Bush tried to scare everyone with, I am just fine and had no worries ever? Lets be clear though the fundamentals of our economy are not strong. Until we change the way things are done and hold people accountable instead of handing out 700Billion dollars in bailouts with no oversight (as requested), the fundamentals of our economy will never be strong. So from my perspective its was clear, the fundamentals of our economy are not strong.

We have +6% unemployment, +8% here is Michigan. The gas prices are insane, the food prices are insane, college costs are through the roof, people can't afford healthcare, seniors have to decide between food or medicine.

Nothing about our economy is strong, unless you own and oil company.

PB, have you seen the gas prices in Europe lately? I think it was something like $6.50 USD in Amsterdam... It's only $3.70 USD down here.

Unemployment:

Doesn't look so bad compared to our yesteryears? It is high, but not nearly so bad as it has been. (That chart is from the gov't. Here.)

I don't know any seniors choosing between heat and healthcare, or food and medication, and I can't find that statistic anywhere, so...

My state will give me a free tuition + money for board and all I need to do is keep a 3.5 GPA or higher. Maybe Louisiana is ahead of the times (uh huh, yeah). So, money for college is not a factor at all, so long as the student wants to really go. (Yes, any student here, who goes to public or private school. Same requirements for everyone.)

And, if you're only making 50k or less, you probably shouldn't strike up a family in the first place.

Bailing out private corporations is a bad idea, I couldn't agree more.

But, ****, the US had one major depression... ever? (Well, depends if you count the post-revolution economy as a depression.) I think we've done alright so far, so I'm sure the fundamentals are working out well.

Last edited by Aisu; 2008-09-27 at 22:02.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Imagine that such pictures are tenuous extrapolations.

Consider that single workers each count as a separate household, and likely have lower income than most families. The low end gets weighted with these, so that average is probably a good deal different from the average income of households that are "supporting a family". Not trying to argue how good or bad the economy's fundamentals are, but that statistic doesn't translate to the picture you're trying to paint.

Please note these stats are 2 years old

"Nearly 13 million American children live in families with incomes below the federal poverty level, which is $20,000 a year for a family of four. The number of children living in poverty increased by more than 11 percent between 2000 and 2005. There are 1.3 million more children living in poverty today than in 2000, despite indications of economic recovery and growth."

Not only are these numbers dispiriting, the official poverty measure tells only part of the story—it is increasingly viewed as a flawed metric of economic hardship (see box). Research consistently shows that, on average, families need an income of about twice the federal poverty level to make ends meet. Children living in families with incomes below this level—for 2006, $40,000 for a family of four—are referred to as low income. Thirty-nine percent of the nation’s children—more than 28 million in 2005—live in low-income families."

http://www.nccp.org/publications/pub_684.html

This is what I said

My point was there are many people making less than 50K per year. I remember being one, and I feel sorry for them, because I know what my grocery bill looks like, I know what my bank account looks like at the end of the month.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-09-28 at 01:56.

I have updated tablethacker.com to use a iphone template to display on the tablets. You can click normal view on the bottom if its annoying you.

I was asked for a tablet friendly version. Just wondering what you think. Keep it? it was fine already? Nobody cares?

Just looking for some opinions

I have updated tablethacker.com to use a iphone template to display on the tablets. You can click normal view on the bottom if its annoying you.

I was asked for a tablet friendly version. Just wondering what you think. Keep it? it was fine already? Nobody cares?

Just looking for some opinions

Anyone????

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
works great
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
less filling

Tablethacker.com is adding Spanish support

Now in English

http://tablethacker.com/wp/?p=298&lang=en-us

or in Spanish

http://tablethacker.com/wp/?p=298&lang=es

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
penguinbait una gran noticia.

Tags
blog, clone, kde, penguinbait