Poll: Should "thanks" be available in all threads?
Poll Options
Should "thanks" be available in all threads?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Open communication has nothing at all to do with polls. If you have an issue that you want discussed, then bring it up (civilly, please). There's no need to run a silly poll to get things considered.
Can you please point out where I did not discuss this civilly. You say that like I am attacking somebody? I did nothing but ask a question, and I thought I was pretty nice about it?

Not liking what people's opinions has nothing to do with civility?

I believe that Thanks! in an off-topic forum are a bad idea because they'll generate karma for things that shouldn't be generating karma and because I believe they would lead to hurt feelings and generally act against a united community. Are these irrational personal opinions?
I understand what your saying GA. Those political bouts a while back could have been much worse with thanks buttons available. I get your point. I never said you were wrong, did I?

I believe I was elected partially for my views on things, you're saying that I'm not allowed to use these views when arriving at decisions?
There is no question GA, you were elected for your views and participation. Your views are completely valid, I am just saying, don't exclude the larger communities view's because you disagree with them. Again, I am speaking in general, (no pun intended)
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
GA, at this point it looks like you are simply arguing for the sake of arguing.
No, I just don't believe endless polls are the right way to discuss things.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Everyone has a right to their opinion for sure.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Can you please point out where I did not discuss this civilly. You say that like I am attacking somebody? I did nothing but ask a question, and I thought I was pretty nice about it?
It was a general statement directed at anybody considering bringing up a point for discussion. Things are much more productive when you start off civil. You avoid instantaneous entrenchment, you get better consideration for your own points, and you generally end up with a more agreeable consensus at the end of everything.

I understand what your saying GA. Those political bouts a while back could have been much worse with thanks buttons available. I get your point. I never said you were wrong, did I?
The creation of the poll itself seems to imply that you believe that there are more positive aspects to including Thanks! in the Off Topic forum than not. Why else would you create the poll?

Your views are completely valid, I am just saying, don't exclude the larger communities view's because you disagree with them.
Which small-scale, voluntary response polls are really no indicator of.

I really, really don't get the degree of animosoty over a simple poll. It's very disproportionate to the "crime".

Okay, you don't like PB's polls or even his inclination towrd creating them. We get that. Time to move on to the next episode of drama already.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I really, really don't get the degree of animosoty over a simple poll. It's very disproportionate to the "crime".
What animosity? There's no animosity here. I'm just stating my opinion on the subject and addressing some points that have been raised about it.

Try not to read everything I say with a sheen of dripping venom. It's not there.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
No, I just don't believe endless polls are the right way to discuss things.
A few people talking in a thread is not IMO a way to come to a consensus. If you don't like the poll's Please tell me a better way to come to a consensus?

This is also the only way we can seem to show support as a community and get visibility to our ideas through the community. Until I see a better way, you can look forward to my polls.

If a person has an idea about a change how should it be presented? IF I run a poll and see like this, (as of now, not overwhelming support or an idea) then OK, I thought it was a good idea, perhaps I am wrong. I can deal with that. IF however I run a poll say to show support for a dark theme option and the overwhelming support agrees that they also think its a good idea, the people get excited, involved, become more vocal, when they see that others support the idea, and in general the community leaders may not.

These are all good things aren't they??
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
I promise not to create a poll asking if polls are good or bad.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
What animosity? There's no animosity here. I'm just stating my opinion on the subject and addressing some points that have been raised about it.

Try not to read everything I say with a sheen of dripping venom. It's not there.
Bullcrap. Don't be so coy.

You keep picking apart inconsequential aspects of PB's polling and have been relentless in countering what he says. There IS a hostility in persistence when you are tearing apart another person's mode of dialog or discovery.

You may not like it, may not agree with it, but your choice of response is petty at best. Just let it go.

A few people talking in a thread is not IMO a way to come to a consensus.
People discussing an issue is the only way to come to a consensus.

If you don't like the poll's Please tell me a better way to come to a consensus?
Polls are not consensus. Polls are a bunch of people voting for whichever option they think is best with nobody arriving at any sort of agreement in the end (i.e., majority rule). Whoever manages to dredge up the most votes "wins" (and with the voluntary response and small sample size, forums polls are hardly accurate). Polls tend to ignore minority viewpoints and tend to arrive at solutions which (depending on the number and type of poll options) are agreeable primarily to the proponents of the winning option, which, with enough poll options, is likely to not even be a majority.

The way to come to a consensus is to do basically exactly what you're doing now with these polls, but minus the polls. Bring up your issue, propose whatever you want (although starting out with proposals can stymie more interesting discussion on some issues), then have a discussion about the issue and arrive at a consensus that's generally agreeable to as many parties as possible. Not a voting result that you can use as a bat to beat everybody else with into doing whatever it says.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:

Tags
forum, off-topic, poll, polls make my eyes burn, question