Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
A micro-to-fullsize SD adapter
A working micro-to-mini would be very useful, considering how much trouble people have had with those and N810s. They cost next to nothing (it's the p&p that hurts) and Nokia probably has a warehouse full of the stuff somewhere.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oh I like the Timbuk2 bags Reggie suggested. Very nice.

I'm not a fan of plain USB sticks or any other kind of storage devices. They get obsolete pretty quickly, and then they're just junk in the drawer. I'm not so big on card reader / adapter things, either, unless they serve a big purpose for a current device I own.

If you want a little plastic thingy to give away, I'm going to second the motion for some kind of USB host adapter. That's been one of the strengths of the devices so far, being able to be a USB host, but the host adapters are very hard to find.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Oh I like the Timbuk2 bags Reggie suggested. Very nice.
Me too!

Tim

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I would like to suggest the LaCie PassKey USB Micro SD Reader that you can really carry around:
Says 10USD, out of stock. For that price we can get a customized model as the one shown in my previous post + 2Gb MicroSD card. But for that prize we get a good shirt as well, so I would be more for the unexpensive adapter, assuming that MicroSD cards will be more and more useful over time.

Or we can leave this idea out.

Another suggestion is the device-ready windbreaker from SCOTTeVEST (just add the maemo.org logo):
Price: $75.00. Sure. Maybe if you get a sponsor from Dubai first?

Or a custom maemo.org themed Timbuk2 bag:
The price seems to be around 150USD. Do I need to say anything else?

Please, let's agree on a realistic proposal. The economic crisis is not a media meme!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Says 10USD, out of stock. For that price we can get a customized model as the one shown in my previous post + 2Gb MicroSD card. But for that prize we get a good shirt as well, so I would be more for the unexpensive adapter, assuming that MicroSD cards will be more and more useful over time.

Or we can leave this idea out.

Price: $75.00. Sure. Maybe if you get a sponsor from Dubai first?

The price seems to be around 150USD. Do I need to say anything else?

Please, let's agree on a realistic proposal. The economic crisis is not a media meme!
I was just about to say that.

Merchandise needs to be as cheap as possible to allow larger quantities to be distributed hence raising brand awareness.

You don't think this LugRadio Live t-shirt I'm wearing today was produced with quality in mind? It was made cheaply and in large quantities to allow people like me to become a walking advertisement and in return I get a very cool t-shirt.

I'm not saying that the merchandise you get at these kind of events isn't useful or cool but cost vs impact has to be considered and if it means getting 50 expensive bags or 500 cheap t-shirts you can understand why the t-shirts are chosen.

Also what happens when not everyone can get the cool <THING> that some other attendee got?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baloo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Plain USB sticks are a bit boring nowadays, isn't it. What about something with a mobile focus like a MicroSD-USB adapter?

I'd rather see a MicroSD bundled with a normal SD adapter assuming that the next tablet will take SD's rather than MicroSD's?

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Was I the only person who knew that this was just us dreaming?

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
Also what happens when not everyone can get the cool <THING> that some other attendee got?
They kick themselves for not registering earlier!

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
If you want a little plastic thingy to give away, I'm going to second the motion for some kind of USB host adapter. That's been one of the strengths of the devices so far, being able to be a USB host, but the host adapters are very hard to find.
I third the idea. And since Quim mentioned the economic crisis we are in - why not support our local economies (well, mine anyways), and fellow tablet users/enthusiast's at the same time - get those USB host adapters in Mini and Micro flavours from our own jolouis's web store! There are screen protectors, torx screwdriver bits, etc also. Perfect Maemo device-centric giveaways. I'm sure Rob would be more than happy to do a large batch run for the Maemo Summit.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
They kick themselves for not registering earlier!
When do registrations open ? :-)

Tags
summit