Active Topics

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It's whatever it's labeled, and that's mobile computer-- with a small screen.
Nooo...it's what it is. A smartphone labeled a mobile computer with a small screen.

Anyway, I'll shut up and be "reasonable".

The Following User Says Thank You to bummer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bummer View Post
In that case they should not had made the screen so small and used an inferior screen option. It's a smartphone.
Phew, the screen size issue was debated to death some time ago, and yeah it was also said that the Tablet format was gone in favor for Smartphone one.

I remember being commented that the new size was thought as the non-full screen mode of current apps in current tablets. Start your app, do not maximize it, and that's the size you were getting.

Despite everything, the N900, from the official web page "a high-performance mobile computer with a powerful processor, large internal storage, and sharp touch-screen display."

Now, if you say "inferior" because it is resistive, well, that is not the case. Resistive has been adopted because the user cases for the N900 see it suitable; AND reports from people that has actually used the tablet mention it as very sensitive (at the point they couldn't guess if it was capacitive or not) and that the UI has been designed in such a way that the use of a stylus is not needed (but it is there if you want/need it).

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
If there is a standard computer screen size rule that determines the minimum size acceptable before a company can label a device so, I'm open to it. Link?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
If there is a standard computer screen size rule that determines the minimum size acceptable before a company can label a device so, I'm open to it. Link?
Just because a company would like to market something as X doesn't mean it's not Y. In this case, it's a smartphone.

Just because a company would like to market something as X doesn't mean it's not Y. In this case, it's a smartphone.
Well, we know the reasons why Nokia decided to billed it as a mobile computer: its capabilities, specs and designed way of use (almost no portrait mode), and software heritage, between others. Would be interesting to know your parameters to call it a smartphone.

For what is worth, I have been showing the info of the N900 to friends with different backgrounds, and none guessed that it could make phone calls. Everyone thought it was a mobile computer (heck they even said "mobile" by themselves).

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
On topic:

I really want to see the "Community SSU" happen. Package up all the patches that we've already got (plus the RTComm Beta ) and ship it to the masses!

Off topic:

...used an inferior screen option...
There's nothing inferior about the N900's screen. Small, yes. Inferior, no. You've never seen a smartphone with a screen like this.

Maemo 5 doesn't feel like a smartphone OS. It feels like the tablet OS with a telephony component added in. The phone capabilities are very much a secondary thing.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Off-topic: and btw, qole has actually used the N900

On-topic: What is needed for the community SSU to happen? I have been reading the threads, but not sure about it. I am getting a bit bored of OS2008 (specially compared to what I read of the N900), but Mer seems a bit far away still... and Android is in the same (N800 with full Android would be very interesting...)

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm not sure that community supported SSU could be done without liability falling upon Nokia for mistakes the community may potentially make.

Paging Dr. Quim?

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Maemo 5 doesn't feel like a smartphone OS. It feels like the tablet OS with a telephony component added in. The phone capabilities are very much a secondary thing.
Hey, but if *I* decide the phone capabilities are primary, then they are!

Someone failed Logic 101.

Anyway I've decided the N900 is a pineapple, and I'm going to complain about its flavor.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-09-10 at 22:41.

Tags
diablo, hacker edition, patched kernel, rant, wontfix