Poll: What are the feature you consider top-of-the-line in N900?
Poll Options
What are the feature you consider top-of-the-line in N900?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
That's the problem, it's a "smart phone". Nokia has officially abandoned the mobile internet tablet platform.
Psh. It's a mobile computer with phone functionality.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Be careful. "Smart phone" is hugely contested around these parts since it's being marketed as a "mobile computer" or something another.
It isn't just being pedantic to make the distinction, it defines a different device class altogether. GeneralAntilles is correct.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Haha.. I do wonder what it's officially called by Nokia, they seem to be indecisive. Is it a computer, is it a smartphone? Is it a comphone?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Haha.. I do wonder what it's officially called by Nokia, they seem to be indecisive. Is it a computer, is it a smartphone? Is it a comphone?
It's a mobile computer. They've been very clear about that so far.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It isn't just being pedantic to make the distinction, it defines a different device class altogether.
I get that it is designated as such directly from Nokia; however once again as a layman - the term smartphone already has a mindshare that's undeniable.

And proposing it as a "mobile computer with telephone abilities" and no marketing as of yet to people outside of this community... I can't help but see an uphill battle. I do see how it distances itself, label-wise, from other offerings.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
To me a mobile internet tablet and a smartphone are very different. The nXXX series was supposed to be a MIT. Larger screen and keyboard, Mozilla browser, etc. With the n900, Nokia seems to be trying to go after the iPhone. Smaller screen, smaller keyboard, etc. Nokia now no longer has any 4.1" device. Just bunch of 3.5" devices (n97, n900). Nokia has abandoned the MIT platform?! Anyone willing to back me up on this?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ioioio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
*sigh*

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
To me a mobile internet tablet and a smartphone are very different. The nXXX series was supposed to be a MIT. Larger screen and keyboard, Mozilla browser, etc. With the n900, Nokia seems to be trying to go after the iPhone. Smaller screen, smaller keyboard, etc. Nokia now no longer has any 4.1" device. Just bunch of 3.5" devices (n97, n900). Anyone willing to back me up on this?
Can't back you up on that, actually.

Hold it in your hands and you'll understand why you're wrong.

The smaller keyboard is easily FAR better to use than the N810's keyboard to the point of being able to fire off fast IMs easily. The smaller screen is something you won't even notice unless you have really bad eyesight. You won't even realize it unless you put it side by side with an N810... and even then, you realize it just doesn't matter.

This is the mobile internet tablet you've been waiting for. Get it in your hands for a little while and then try to deny it. You won't be able to. Head out to a Nokia flagship store and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i would claim that a smartphone have always been a pocket computer.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
A mobile computer is a very generic term;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_computer

but the term internet tablet.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Tablet
And the information in parenthesis next to the n900 entry kind of prove my point. But as someone just posted, it's all speculation until I get my hands on it.