Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
They're also making a phone. 4.3" 854x480 screen.

Didn't someone around here say "4.1" is too big for a cell phone screen!" .... guess we'll have to wait and see.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
From what I can tell, from my reading, the GPS is the only thing mentioned in that list of software that you would end up paying extra to use. Considering it's running Android now, it's going to be very hard for them to lock you into their store. Who knows, maybe they creatively figured out a way--but I doubt it. We'll have to see. I, for one, can at least CONSIDER buying this device where Nokia's newest device is far beyond what I'd want to pay up-front just to get the device and then have to deal with the cellular radio and telco hassles. Noooooo thanks. At least Archos has peripherals you can use with it, too. I can't see Nokia doing a dock--even if it WOULD be a good idea.
Yeah, I almost bought an Archos a little over a year ago until someone in a forum mentioned that most of the bullet points listed as "features" on their website, actually required that you pay extra to use them. Somehow Archos must have forgotten to mention that up-front. Lucky for me, that forum post also included the N800 as an alternative. Haven't regretted my decision since.

The Following User Says Thank You to pomerlyanb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I have to say the Archos5 with its larger screen with same pixel count as the n900 is of great interest, especially if they did the high capacity version (500GB) and the 3G (but not a contract/subsidised "phone" sales model).- I don't need 3G very often, so not interested in a monthly contract, occasionally I give Three £0.50 for a day's net access.

I like the idea of a dock and accessories, provided that everything necessary can be done without them, that the dock could live at home (bedroom for media playing?).

However, before I bought one I'd definitely check out what was working and enabled and licensed out of the box, I'd hate to get one and then have to spend just as much again on licences to make it useful (although naturally I'd be hacking it to do my own thing anyway, just as I did with $JOB's ipodTouch!).

The Following User Says Thank You to speculatrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
So lets see, faster cpu, wireless n, bluetooth, gps, 5" screen, 160GB storage, 4 hour battery life, all for $329. Just more than half an N900? The question is: are accelerometers, cameras, phone, and Maemo worth another $321.00?

I'd assume that at some point someone will hack Maemo onto this, probably one of the flash models w/ microsd card slot dual boot first.

I could also buy a lot of accessories/software for that extra $321. Worth keeping an eye on it. I really like the idea of the bigger screen. A keyboard would be really nice as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Am I seeing this right ? This little baby does not plug in to the Android Market, but rather into Archos' own version of it, Appslib ? Heh, brace yourself for another walled garden.

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I'd assume that at some point someone will hack Maemo onto this, probably one of the flash models w/ microsd card slot dual boot first.
They'd rather colectively bite their legs off than have custom firmwares on their devices (they crypt, sign and checksum firmwares). Archos is the Tivo of PMPs.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
The iPhone/iPod Touch coexistence proves there more than enough room for both device categories.
Do you know people that actually carry both?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
Do you know people that actually carry both?
Co-existence doesn't require living in the same pocket.

I know lots of people who wouldn't every own/carry an iPhone (for various reasons), but who do own an iPod-Touch. And love it.

As long as that population remains large, both devices will co-exist in Apple's line-up.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
I wasn't trying to say they don't coexist, I think they both serve a purpose and they do have a decent amount of overlap to the point you would likely not have both on you at all times.

There are 20+ million iPod Touches out there according to Apple. Now, unless these 20 million people are all hermits or cellphone haters, it means several million people who *chose* to have a tablet AND a phone instead of the iPhone. You don't have to be in that category, just acknowledge it exists, just like Apple does (and I hope is re-acknowledged sooner or later by Nokia, too).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: