Active Topics

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Fact is, people don't like AT&T who have iPhones ( I know because I've had two with them ), their customer serivce sucks, reception sucks in large areas, and 3G is only in pockets. If T-Mobile got the iPhone you would definitely see allot people leave AT&T and the other two providers.

I doubt Verizon would get offered the iPhone again especially after they rejected it when Apple originally offered it to them. Apple I think would pretty much say 'frack off'. They offered it to them, Verizon chose to snub them and I bet the execs at Verizon are kicking themselves in the *** for that.

iPhone, better 3G coverage, along with other high end devices noone else has could definitely push T-Mobile up from fourth.

As far as cheaper plans for unsubsidized phones...why? T-Mobile is currently the only provider in the US where you can get the exact same plans through pre-paid as if you were contracted. I mean come on, the highest pre-paid plan AT&T has is $69.99 for 650 minutes and unlimited night and weekends, whereas T-Mobile 1000 anytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends for $39.99

Another note...T-Mobile Germany currently sells the iPhone 3GS which has compatible bands with T-Mobile USA...

Last edited by spinnukur; 2009-10-08 at 19:42.

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York
Originally Posted by spinnukur View Post
Fact is, people don't like AT&T who have iPhones ( I know because I've had two with them ), their customer serivce sucks, reception sucks in large areas, and 3G is only in pockets. If T-Mobile got the iPhone you would definitely see allot people leave AT&T and the other two providers.

I doubt Verizon would get offered the iPhone again especially after they rejected it when Apple originally offered it to them. Apple I think would pretty much say 'frack off'. They offered it to them, Verizon chose to snub them and I bet the execs at Verizon are kicking themselves in the *** for that.

iPhone, better 3G coverage, along with other high end devices noone else has could definitely push T-Mobile up from fourth.

As far as cheaper plans for unsubsidized phones...why? T-Mobile is currently the only provider in the US where you can get the exact same plans through pre-paid as if you were contracted. I mean come on, the highest pre-paid plan AT&T has is $69.99 for 650 minutes and unlimited night and weekends, whereas T-Mobile 1000 anytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends for $39.99
you mean 49.99 that promotion been over.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by mykenyc View Post
you mean 49.99 that promotion been over.
Well I just signed up for it on Monday, and are grandfathered in as long as I keep paying it.... no contracts whatsoever. $39.99 for 1000 anytime minutes+ unlimited nights and weekends, and $34.99 for unlimited smartphone data plan + unlimited texts

Last edited by spinnukur; 2009-10-08 at 19:46.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Another note...T-Mobile Germany currently sells the iPhone 3GS which has compatible bands with T-Mobile USA...
The iPhone is the same everywhere in the world, just locked down to different carriers. It does not have 1700mhz band for T-mobile USA's 3G bands.

Also, I don't know if I put a lot of stock on the hearsay of one supposed employee that quit Nokia that we'll be getting subsidized n900s.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
The timing is wrong for an iPhone announcement. ATT has a lock until the new year and I can't see people committing three months in advance unless they are giving them away (which I guess is a possibility).

No other announced or rumored phone is going to move the needle, even if they were giving them away.

I suspect it's an exclusive deal for a subsidized 3G netbook. For a true game changer it would have to be Asus, Acer, HP, or Dell. For sales it would be one of the first two; for brand recognition one of the latter two.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Well I just signed up for it on Monday, and are grandfathered in as long as I keep paying it.... no contracts whatsoever. $39.99 for 1000 anytime minutes+ unlimited nights and weekends, and $34.99 for unlimited smartphone data plan + unlimited texts
That plan would probably cost $120/mo on AT&T.

The plan you mention would cost $59.99 + $34.99 now, according to the t-mobile.com website. While not nearly as attractively priced, it still seems cheaper than AT&T.

But to get back on topic...

Given the lack of confirmation from T-Mobile, I found this bit to be the most interesting:

T-Mobile will offer 2 "N" series smartphones early next year, including the Maemo 5 powered N900.
Sure, we would prefer that T-Mobile announce the N900 now and begin pushing it in advertising as well as offering a subsidy. But in the absence of any other news, I guess this tells us more about what to expect than we have heard elsewhere. It's nice to know something (assuming this news is reliable).

He said to expect more high-end Nokia devices to be coming to T-Mobile.
Of course the news could be better, but it seems like this direction is good for us US-based Nokia fans. So again, I was pleased to read it.

something so enormous in reach that it is expected to lift T-Mobile out of 4th place among the nation's wireless operators.
Personally, this would only grab my attention if it is news about much better/cheaper 3g data plans or an announcement related to 4G plans that are compatible with the N900.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
I suspect it's an exclusive deal for a subsidized 3G netbook
That's unlikely to be a game-changer. On the other hand, an exclusive deal for a new Apple iTablet...

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
That's unlikely to be a game-changer. On the other hand, an exclusive deal for a new Apple iTablet...
I thought I left the iTablet rumors back on the OQO forum.

I don't see it, again because of the timing. If people are being trained it implies there are solid specs, a finished product, and training materials. If those exist now, I have to think that Steve Jobs would have announced it at the "Rock and Roll" event on September 9.

PC World recently had an article on Apple rumors. The first Apple tablet rumor was in 1981, before some of the people on this forum were born (also 8 years before the Newton was born).

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
The first Apple tablet rumor was in 1981, before some of the people on this forum were born.
Suddenly I feel really old.

Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
Sure, we would prefer that T-Mobile announce the N900 now and begin pushing it in advertising as well as offering a subsidy.
While it is good news that T-Mo has plans for the N900, it is odd that they might plan to release and expensive phone right after the holiday shopping season.

Tags
rumor