Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
The N900 isn't buggy, but the software it currently runs is still a work-in-progress. There are issues that need to be resolved. If you're looking what those issues are, then visit the bug tracker.
Indeed, I would at this point call most of my discoveries with the OS to be quirks rather than bugs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Heh funny bug report.

I think this is a bit strange given that they handed out 300 phones to (presumably) do beta testing. I guess their motive was dev/testing of 3rd-party apps, but it seems that having the Maemo distro thoroughly tested and debugged before release would be higher priority.
Well the reason is also the delay.. they need to concentrate on fixing what already is known. They 300 devices help beta testing what's in Extras Testing more than the N900 software itself (Nokia has enough internal testers and tools for that).

They also gave some devices earlier than the Summit to have some real life testing and that was useful.

The bug report was even funnier on the maemo-developers where I used as subject:

"There is a bug for that"

Aniello

Last edited by anidel; 2009-10-22 at 15:54. Reason: quoted post to which I was replying...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by eikido View Post
The Nokia N900 v1.2009.41.13 firmware update will be available soon on Nokia Software Updater
This is very similar to the build used for the Maemo Summit. Not relevant anymore. The next stop for a release going public is most probably the sales release.

Internal builds are internal builds. Those having access to them for development and testing purposes know what's the deal with them. Discussing them out of context and in public is not very professional, if you allow me to say that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
This is very similar to the build used for the Maemo Summit. Not relevant anymore. The next stop for a release going public is most probably the sales release.

Internal builds are internal builds. Those having access to them for development and testing purposes know what's the deal with them. Discussing them out of context and in public is not very professional, if you allow me to say that.
@Quim: What is the most recent internal build, then? And how close is it to sales release?

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
I'm guessing latest internal is... 2009.43.x, where is x is a number of your choice (probably around, what, 10?)!

Note; this is all based on my astonishing deductive skills and nothing else.

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

Last edited by frals; 2009-10-22 at 17:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Well the reason is also the delay.. they need to concentrate on fixing what already is known. They 300 devices help beta testing what's in Extras Testing more than the N900 software itself
It's unfortunate that Nokia is choosing to ignore the community people with devices. That's a really strong testing base that they're giving up.

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
(Nokia has enough internal testers and tools for that).
Nokia never has enough testers, mostly because their internal ones don't even come close to using Maemo like we do, so they miss most of the bugs.

Not like it matters anyway, since management and the UI team seem to be doing an amazing job of using the spec like some sort of massive sledgehammer to smash out anything approaching rational thinking.

Man Nokia's process is broken. . . .

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by sunwong View Post
@Quim: What is the most recent internal build, then? And how close is it to sales release?
Maybe you missed the part where he said that it was unprofessional to talk about internal builds in public? Pretty sure he's not answering.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It's unfortunate that Nokia is choosing to ignore the community people with devices. That's a really strong testing base that they're giving up.

Nokia never has enough testers, mostly because their internal ones don't even come close to using Maemo like we do, so they miss most of the bugs.

Not like it matters anyway, since management and the UI team seem to be doing an amazing job of using the spec like some sort of massive sledgehammer to smash out anything approaching rational thinking.

Man Nokia's process is broken. . . .
If I may approach this with a degree of councilary diplomacy...

While I disagree with the word "ignoring", I agree with your root sentiments. I was frustrated that we were provided full sales packs with no apparent means of reporting certain issues with enough time for them to be corrected prior to shipping (hardware, sales packaging, etc). BUT-- if you saw on the community mailing list, Quim said that reports outside the scope of maemo.org Bugzilla can be sent to him for last-mile delivery. Not sure if he's prepared for the can of worms, but it was a decent gesture.

It would have been nice to have been offered access to interim firmware builds as well, with the stipulation that we show some caution in casual conversations, but it is what it is. Or isn't.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-10-22 at 17:12.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
[...]Maemo Bugzilla
In before you get shot: It's the maemo.org Bugzilla...

groooann....

I have enough exhausting pedantic episodes with my youngest (anal retentive) son, thanks.