Active Topics

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
@bunanson

Sorry, by prepaid, I meant Pay as You Go. I'll amend my prior post.

With Pay as You Go, I got on the Sidekick plan ($1/day, unlimited data, unlimited texts). It costs $1 every time you switch, or $1 per day charged at midnight. You can switch from voice to Sidekick and back as often as you like.

However, around August, T-Mobile closed port 80 (used for Internet access), effectively barring all the Iphone users from the Sidekick plan. But, it is possible to use a proxy that uses a different port to forward Internet requests and get around the blocked port. Earlier in the thread, hitec (post #6) mentioned this and gave a site to find free proxies. You can go into your Settings, Internet Connections, Advanced and add the proxy IP and port.

What I did: I have a computer running Ubuntu. Squid is a proxy program. A couple quick googles, and about 10 minutes, I had downloaded, installed, and setup a proxy that asks for a name and password. Put the correct settings into my N900 and when I change to the Sidekick plan, it routes all Internet requests (http) through my computer at home. I figured this might be more reliable and private than a free one out there somewhere. Fortunately, at my house I get 3/3.5G connections, but I'm limited to my upload speed on my cable connection since all the requests are routed through it.

I plan to stay on pay as you go voice, unless I need a data connection for some reason, I can switch over by calling 611 from my phone, and I get unlimited Internet for $1 (/day) until I switch back. This should make for very cheap Internet or unlimited for $30/month, although I wouldn't abuse it if you want it to keep working.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
@bunanson

However, around August, T-Mobile closed port 80 (used for Internet access), effectively barring all the Iphone users from the Sidekick plan. But, it is possible to use a proxy that uses a different port to forward Internet requests and get around the blocked port. Earlier in the thread, hitec (post #6) mentioned this and gave a site to find free proxies. You can go into your Settings, Internet Connections, Advanced and add the proxy IP and port.
Thank you for your post. I am on the same boat, using SideKick for prepaid data on N900.

I tried the free proxy online, it worked but was extremely slow even if I used the first one which was supposed to be the fastest. Unfortunately I do not have access to a desktop to set up proxy at this moment, so I have to figure out another way.

The first one came to my mind was to set up a SSH tunnel with parameter D and consequently route all traffic through the SOCKS proxy on 127.0.0.1(localhost). After setting up the SOCKS proxy on the browser, I was supposed to route all the http traffic through the socks tunnel I set up using

ssh -D * username@host

where * is the local SOCKS proxy port number. I tried the 1080 (default), 143 (used by IMAP to receive email which worked fine under Sidekick), 3128 (used by the free HTTP proxy which worked fine if I set up the http proxy in TMobile Internet) and 8080 (T-Mobile HTTP proxy). Unfortunately, however, none of them worked for me to access www pages. Neither could I visit web pages even if I enabled network.proxy.socks_remote_dns on the browser.

Now that SSH did not work, another way occurred to me, namely VPN. I have access to a server using Cisco AnyConnect VPN. However, thea client installation script I downloaded to N900 kept complaining "Permission denied" even after I used "sudo gainroot". Moreover, I downloaded OpenVPN to N900, but I do not know how to find the correct configuration from the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client I successfully installed on my laptop which currently runs Ubuntu.

Any ideas? I really appreciate them.

Last edited by teddybw; 2009-12-30 at 07:05.

I know you guys are focusing on the "pre-paid" plan, but FWIW, I just signed up w/T-Mo on the 500 minutes and "Shadow web2go" for another $10/mo. I was up in Philly (most of city upgraded/in testing) and I got 3Mb down and 1.8Mb up.

I wound up calling TMo because I was concerned that the APN used for that plan (Internet2.voicestream.com) was routing traffic thru Kansas (per speedtest.net)...they wound up bumping me up to the $25/mo "smartphone plan". However now all the APNs work, w/the epc.tmobile.com showing closer to my true location (Maryland).

That said, I'll be downgrading to the non-Shadow $10/mo internet plan next billng cycle.

Originally Posted by colnago View Post
I know you guys are focusing on the "pre-paid" plan, but FWIW, I just signed up w/T-Mo on the 500 minutes and "Shadow web2go" for another $10/mo. I was up in Philly (most of city upgraded/in testing) and I got 3Mb down and 1.8Mb up.

I wound up calling TMo because I was concerned that the APN used for that plan (Internet2.voicestream.com) was routing traffic thru Kansas (per speedtest.net)...they wound up bumping me up to the $25/mo "smartphone plan". However now all the APNs work, w/the epc.tmobile.com showing closer to my true location (Maryland).

That said, I'll be downgrading to the non-Shadow $10/mo internet plan next billng cycle.
i got the some problem im in miami and also any time i trying the speedtest.net it showing Kansas i just wonder how did you get 3mb download here in miami i got just something around 1mb but unstable stable speed is 600kb its really slow here let me ask you it help to change from internet2.voicestream,com to epc.tmobile.com is it faster now or the some thanx

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
I got my N900 and I got the even more plus plan with unlimited sms, 500 mins, and 10$ web2go added.

I get about 600kbps on internet2.voicestream.com, internet1 and internet3 don't work. When I change the APN to epc.tmible.com, my browser gets redirected to a tmobile page asking me to upgrade the the ''smart phone'' date plan.

Anyone else having this problem?

Originally Posted by joshv06 View Post
I got my N900 and I got the even more plus plan with unlimited sms, 500 mins, and 10$ web2go added.

I get about 600kbps on internet2.voicestream.com, internet1 and internet3 don't work. When I change the APN to epc.tmible.com, my browser gets redirected to a tmobile page asking me to upgrade the the ''smart phone'' date plan.

Not sure if you want to go down that route...if you want to keep that $10 plan.

I called (new to T-Mo this month), and asked about the different APN names. Long story short, they bumped me up to $25 plan...working on getting that changed.

I was on the "Shadow Web Plan" (didn't know it was "phone specific") and limited to the "Internet2" APN, and was told it was "newer" and "less used". None of the other APN names worked. I was never prompted to "upgrade" before...just got connection failure messages. Now that I'm "upgraded", all APNs work. Basically the $10 plans are for "dumber phones" and have "special features" and data is presented differently than normal web. I didn't notice a difference, especially in Philly.

Originally Posted by joshv06 View Post

In total you pay $40 (even more plan) + $10 (web2go) + $10 (unlimited sms), right?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
@bunanson

With Pay as You Go, I got on the Sidekick plan ($1/day, unlimited data, unlimited texts). It costs $1 every time you switch, or $1 per day charged at midnight. You can switch from voice to Sidekick and back as often as you like.

What I did: I have a computer running Ubuntu. Squid is a proxy program. A couple quick googles, and about 10 minutes, I had downloaded, installed, and setup a proxy that asks for a name and password. Put the correct settings into my N900 and when I change to the Sidekick plan, it routes all Internet requests (http) through my computer at home. I figured this might be more reliable and private than a free one out there somewhere. Fortunately, at my house I get 3/3.5G connections, but I'm limited to my upload speed on my cable connection since all the requests are routed through it.

I plan to stay on pay as you go voice, unless I need a data connection for some reason, I can switch over by calling 611 from my phone, and I get unlimited Internet for $1 (/day) until I switch back. This should make for very cheap Internet or unlimited for $30/month, although I wouldn't abuse it if you want it to keep working.
Great post. Thanks. I'd like to try this. I have a Ubuntu server I can use for a proxy. But I can't find a good Squid tutorial that is both detailed enough and also OK for a beginner. In particular, the first question I face when looking at the instructions is how to allow several different phones (my family members) to access the proxy while still restricting access from the public.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Here's a link I found: link

I'm a bit of a beginner, but reading through that got me up and running in Ubuntu pretty quick. With this setup it will prompt for a name and password when you open a web page. That session should be good for the nect 2 hours with default settings.
***I don't really know how secure it is though, better than nothing though.

From what I've read, Tmobile only blocks port 80, so email, etc should be ok. I've only played a little bit as I have wifi most times. It does work though.

If you have specific questios I'll try to help. I'm currently setting up a virtual box install to better protect my system.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Here's a link I found: link

I'm a bit of a beginner, but reading through that got me up and running in Ubuntu pretty quick. With this setup it will prompt for a name and password when you open a web page. That session should be good for the nect 2 hours with default settings.
***I don't really know how secure it is though, better than nothing though.

From what I've read, Tmobile only blocks port 80, so email, etc should be ok. I've only played a little bit as I have wifi most times. It does work though.

If you have specific questios I'll try to help. I'm currently setting up a virtual box install to better protect my system.
Thanks for the link. Those are the simplest instructions I've seen yet. I think I'll give it a try.

FYI, without a proxy server, my email wasn't working, but I didn't look into it to see what the issue might be. I'm going to set up a proxy server first.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.