Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
We need a way to put threads on the Ignore list, too.

Proposal: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...790#post437790

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-12-22 at 17:52.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Steve Jobbz just wont leave maemo.org forums. look he made 146 posts!!!

anyway, the beauty of bb compared to wiki, is that flame war in some place will not affect the whole. cmiiw.
eventually, everybody will just leave the thread.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
Disclaimer: I don't own an iPhone and don't plan to own one either, but I follow their forums to learn their perspective and I can tell you that they are so much more civilized than we are.
Okay let me just start flinging som poo here as I'm provoked by the OP shouting NOTHING! and I want to feed the troll (with poo)

Ha! Either you are liar (and do own or want to own an iPhone), you are a iPhon-o-phile or you just like to flame and provoke. Either way I have a really hard time taking you serious as I think you are all of the above :-D

Any ways its always funny (not ha ha funny) to read your rants...

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
This planet is full of ignorant and impolite people. On the Internet some of the ignorants become lurkers and some of the stupid ones act worse than they do in real life. Any loosely moderated Internet forum will be as good as its worst posters are. Face it.

Now, maybe the iPhone forum is “nice” because they don't have much to talk about? Do they compare it to competitors every 10 posts like we do, for example?... And do iPhone users feel the need for lacking features, and feel that they can discuss that with other users and developers? I doubt it, I bet they are a bunch of lambs waiting for the messias to come back with god-given apps from the top of the Olympus.

Are there open source projects for iPhone applications? Do they go on having significantly less internal conflicts than it happens in any normal floss project? How come?...

If childish behavior and sarcasm is a necessary colateral effect of doing things they way it's done in Maemo instead of the Apple way (and others), I say it's a small price to pay, and “yes please”.

The Iphone is ugly. Maemo is fat. But we can diet...

Last edited by nwerneck; 2009-12-22 at 18:16.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nwerneck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
At the risk of sounding unpopular, the OP has a point. Although his methods of confronting a community issue could have been far more tactful, this is hardly the first time such concerns have been voiced, and it would be prudent as a community to consider the issue more seriously.

I suspect that many posters are intimidated to post for fear of getting a snarky response, less than encouraging 'use the search' feature, sarcastic posts over legitimate concerns with the hardware/software, or mention of competing devices. While I don't think that this 'attitude' is representative of the entire forum, I've witnessed it enough to know that it's a barrier to community growth, and hurts the experience for many.

We should strive to champion the same openness and freedom in our community that we expect from our handsets.

}:^/~

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
Or, this community is full of egotistical, I-know-knothing type geeks that have no respect for what others have to do to answer all noob-questions they DEMAND answers to ??

That is the other side of it. But I think you are right in a sense, but still confused. This site quite claerly needs a crash course in Linux and using the X-term. This should be done from a total noob kind of view for persons who never have used a command line. Right now it is assumed that this knowledge is either known, or is obtained from elsewhere. This is way too arrogant for a site that try to be THE community for Maemo.

So, I don't disagree, I simply think you are a bit misinformed
Or they could simply type a simple google search and get all the information about using an xterm and common linux command line commands.

Why should the community provide a spoon fed repetition of information that can be easily obtained by people who exert even a minimal amount of effort.

People need to start using that big ole ball of fat and nerves they have rattling round in their skulls.

http://www.google.com/search?q=commo...ient=firefox-a

There I will even get them started.

I say again Mediocrity should not be rewarded. People with a brain they actually use RISE UP!
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
This community is full of egotistical, i-know-it-all type geeks that have no respect for others.
Respect is earned, my delusional friend. It is not given freely.

Many posters are childish, some are outright immature.
Speaking of yourself here? Childish, like creating a thread telling everyone to not use their phones while driving? Who in hell died and made you king of telling us what to do?

Immature? Because we as a masses here, don't agree with your naivety?

Personal attacks, sarcastic remarks and the lack of respect to other members are missing far too often.

Personal attacks? You ain't seen no personal attacks yet. But such things can indeed be arranged.

Being too emotional and in some cases fanatic turns some threads into flame wars.
Nope. Not flame wars. Just conversations YOU don't agree with, which in turn you call flame wars because it's a lot easier for you.

There is so much that we can learn from the iPhone community.

Disclaimer: I don't own an iPhone and don't plan to own one either, but I follow their forums to learn their perspective and I can tell you that they are so much more civilized than we are.

Disclaimer: I don't really give two rat turds whether or not you own an iPhone. If you don't, you should go buy yourself one and see just how crappy it really is in general. I have owned iphones. They are fine for what they're designed to be used as. Simple communication devices with a pretty interface, and a decent multimedia player. But don't you compare the iPhone to the N900... again. They are two totally different devices in form and function. Sure, they can both make calls, play music and videos, but realistically, that's where the similarities end.

Before you start posting insulting remarks to this thread take a deep breath and check out some of the iPhone forums out there and LEARN that there is a better way.
Insulting? To whom, exactly? How do you know I wasn't insulted at your calling some of these guys "egotistical". Some of these "egotistical" guys bring us something called software, that we can use on our devices. I don't consider someone with more skills than I in a particular subject "egotistical".

To all of the "egotistical" software writers here.... Thank you.

Peace.
I prefer war. It weeds out the beatniks and the pacifists.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to That One Guy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
ok on to something more interesting. ill be in london next month. you guys know of some good spots to grab a bite?

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
This community is full of egotistical, i-know-it-all type geeks that have no respect for others. Many posters are childish, some are outright immature. Personal attacks, sarcastic remarks and the lack of respect to other members are missing far too often. Being too emotional and in some cases fanatic turns some threads into flame wars. There is so much that we can learn from the iPhone community.

Before you start posting insulting remarks to this thread take a deep breath and check out some of the iPhone forums out there and LEARN that there is a better way.

Peace.

You know what Mr.? I think you should re-check all those iPhone forums yourself and see the difference. I don't see clueless, egoistic, dumb, spamming, desperate, naive, arogant posts on this site. I'm not here who knows how long, but I'm here long enough to say, that one of the reasons i didn't buy the iPhone was the fact that 99% of people on those boards are ******ed kids who don't know how to act. And even if iPhone had a zillion apps, it won't change the fact that Apple fanboys are brainwashed amateurs. iPhone my ***. Peace.

Tags
fatalsaint is funny, known troll, self-fulfilling prophecy