Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
The latter. Still, a HUGE awesomeness to see depth on a screen without using special glasses, don't you think?
Sure, sounds very interesting. If I understand correctly then the effect is done purely in software by image processing the user-facing camera image, finding the eyes, and estimating the relative location of the camera w.r.t. the user's head, and feeding that info to a 3D app as the 3D rendering viewpoint.

This means it could be done on the N900 (or other phones) as well, as long as they have user-facing cameras. Maybe OpenCV might have some routines that could help with programming this. It's an interesting problem. I think you can assume an average size for a human head, then given the position and spacing between the eyes, you can extrapolate the size and position of the head; given known camera parameters this allows you to compute where the head is in 3D space relative to the camera. Sounds like something where there should be enough research papers (or existing code) to get it going on the N900.

Edit: Using face tracking would allow you to get the image-space position of the head; eye tracking allows you to get the orientation of the head and eyes; an assumed size of the head + known camera parameters allow you to calculate the 3D location/rotation of the head relative to the camera. Again, sounds doable.

Last edited by Otaku; 2010-01-09 at 01:02.

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by epage View Post
Interesting if the device doesn't work when the user is drunk.
It does work even when you're drunk. The image would be a little blurry (just like when watching Avatar without the glasses) which is what a drunk person expects his vision to be

So in other words, the Apple tablet will be drunk-proof.

Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Sure, sounds very interesting. If I understand correctly then the effect is done purely in software by image processing the user-facing camera image, finding the eyes, and estimating the relative location of the camera w.r.t. the user's head, and feeding that info to a 3D app as the 3D rendering viewpoint.
I'm afraid that the technology is more than software. The screen has to support 3D as well. Dunno about the specifics but it could be similar to the new Jaguar Nav systems where the same screen has two different images (the driver sees the map and the passenger sees the dvd movie).

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Denmark

Last edited by real_per; 2010-01-09 at 01:05.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Be as sceptical as you want. The Apple innovation train has its steam at full throttle.
Skeptical, I will be Mr. Phonics. The fact that you mentioned Cameron then Avatar, just shows you're grand staging some truly weak viewpoint. You do understand that special lenses must be worn to come even close to the 3D nature of that film. A secondary accessory to use a device has never been received well. If it's using the camera the same effect can be seen, watching George Washington's eyes on a dollar bill as you move it around. Umm yeah awesomeness indeed OrangeChode.

Originally Posted by real_per View Post
You just fed me. We need a term for people who can't contribute anything to the forums only chasing imaginary trolls. Troll busters maybe? Gotta wake up earlier to make me notice you. I chew heavyweight people's head off on a regular basis.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Be as sceptical as you want. The Apple innovation train has its steam at full throttle.
I wonder if that's steam or black smoke what you see.

Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
Skeptical, I will be Mr. Phonics. The fact that you mentioned Cameron then Avatar, just shows you're grand staging some truly weak viewpoint. You do understand that special lenses must be worn to come even close to the 3D nature of that film. A secondary accessory to use a device has never been received well. If it's using the camera the same effect can be seen, watching George Washington's eyes on a dollar bill as you move it around. Umm yeah awesomeness indeed OrangeChode.
Did you not read my prev post? Here it is again:

NO NEED FOR SPECIAL GLASSES TO SEE THE 3D EFFECT ON THE ISLATE.

In fact Sony jus recently demoed an hdtv that does the same thing.

Grow up.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The latter. Still, a HUGE awesomeness to see depth on a screen without using special glasses, don't you think?
iTablet, the first tablet that cannot be used with shades. Really innovative after the first phone that cannot be used with gloves.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
iTablet, the first tablet that cannot be used with shades. Really innovative after the first phone that cannot be used with gloves.
Like the N900 can be used with gloves. Don't kid yourself. I live in Canada. We just got a 20cm snow and I wear gloves. I can say that the N900 can't even be turned on with gloves on let alone using it (unless of course using a stylus)