Poll: How much traffic do you have monthly on your N900 via your carrier?
Poll Options
How much traffic do you have monthly on your N900 via your carrier?

I use around 2GB per month downstream, unsure about upstream.

I have unlimited data, however.

About 1 gig per month here.

My N900's data connection is actually faster than my home connection (I have 5megabit on N900 hsdpa and 1mbit at home), so I often use it to download podcasts and large files. I'd probably use N900 as my primary internet connection if the latency jitter was less.

If the download/upload had no limits, I'd consider leaving my cable provider too.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India
Previously I had 2.5GB plan for $10.75.Now I use 2GB plan for $2.11.I use this connection on PC also.

About 30mb here, but it will probably grow a bit when/if i have to use gps a lot.

I'm on pay-as-you-go with 3 in the UK, they give me 150mb free for each top-up (which is £5 minimum) + free skype traffic, and it's plenty for me -- i have wifi at home and office, so I rarely need GPRS, and I make very few calls outside Skype these days.

I used to be on a vodafone contract, but I never managed to get value for money -- their "£15 per month" always ended up being more like £50...

About 30mb here, but it will probably grow a bit when/if i have to use gps a lot.

I'm on pay-as-you-go with 3 in the UK, they give me 150mb free for each top-up (which is £5 minimum) + free skype traffic, and it's plenty for me -- i have wifi at home and office, so I rarely need cellular data, and I make very few calls outside Skype these days.

I used to be on a vodafone contract, but I never managed to get value for money -- their "£15 per month" always ended up being more like £50...

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ London, Canada
After months of sitting on the fence, I'm 'this close' to finally picking up an N900. Sadly my reservations haven't changed much (I don't live in an AWS area, the uncertainly of the software platforms future is fuzzy, missing the xenon flash in my N82, lack of h.264 acceleration) but the fact that the community are providing the apps I actually want to use is pushing me forward.

Now I've never had a data plan on my current N82 because the vast majority of the time I'm in reach of WiFi. But I'm thinking once I have the power of the N900 in my hands it would be odd not to take advantage. Weather information, facebook status updates, rss feeds and email/calendar sync nicely sitting there in widgets is attractive. What I don't know is how much data that would actually use. And once you popped into that all powerful web browser is it going to suck even more data because of the support for flash?

Maybe part of my concern is how transition between access points work. Will it prioritize to WiFi and automatically switch to 2G when I'm out of the hotspot? Can applications that are known to be bandwidth heavy be set to work with only access points?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
On my old Nokia E71 I almost always used Wifi, when I got my N900 I picked up a nearly unlimited(20GB/month, then 3G speeds) 3.5G data plan, so I just use that data connection all the time on my N900. Very easy. And then you will never be disconnected from IM's and whatnot.

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
I'm usually able stick within my 500MB a month limit on O2, I browse & d/l a fews apps, use nokia maps, weather widget, facebook widget & AP news widget on this account However I don't stream spotify on this I use wifi.

But it really depends on your usage patterns.

Last edited by Duffer; 2010-03-21 at 18:15.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
I've used 6MB since I got mine a couple of weeks ago, but then I've been very restrictive with non-Wifi internet usage for battery reasons as well as for cost.