Damn I can't find a damn way to get the GPS to lock on without an internet connection, love this bloody phone but i'm just missing this feature!

Originally Posted by skatebkp View Post
Damn I can't find a damn way to get the GPS to lock on without an internet connection, love this bloody phone but i'm just missing this feature!
Even when you are "outside"? I'm inside, albeit in a "wood-framed" building, and I get GPS lock in a few seconds, irregardless of app. In concrete/stone building, it takes much longer "if at all". Overall, I get GPS lock faster on the 900, than both my Garmin, and Pioneer AVIC head unit.

I've tried repetitively outside, I've waited for 15,20 30! minutes and nothing, the only time it usually works is when I get a gps lock at home using my internet connection then when I go to work I can still get a lock if I switch Ovi maps on.

This must be an hardware fault with my phone then???

If under your "Location" settings, you have GPS both "enabled" and utilizing the "Internal GPS", and you can not get a lock, I'd send it back for a replacement or refund.

The Following User Says Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
I will do thanks

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
There's problems with the GPS in Ovi maps, so I wouldn't write it off as a hardware failure yet (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5337).

download the "maep" application (similar to the maemo-maps app from previous Maemo platforms) and try it there to rule out an issue with Ovi maps.

Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Its already out...no need to request it.

The newest "geolocation" plugin/app, available in the "Downloads" section (newest app), works for my "Google maps bookmark". It acquires my location in 2-3 seconds, if that long.

http://maps.google.com/maps/m?

Also, the Near Me plugin, for the Firefox browser, looks and works very similarly, to the Google Search "app". It finds my location in "less than 1 second", without the need of the other geolocation plugin.
How do you zoom the map in? You can zoom in on the webpage but not sure on the map itself?

My best recommendation for people with offline GPS woes would be GPSJinni. It will give you some insight into if anything (and what) is actually happening with GPS.

Install it, start it, hit the Satellites button and wait. After some time (depending on the satellite constellation, location and orientation of the device), white bars should appear indicating the PRN and relative signal strength of the satellites that are currently being received. They will change over time and possibly even perform a little 'dance', i.e. disappearing and reappearing, especially in case of reflected signals being received.

Generally ... the more bars, the better! And note that for a fix to be made, you will need at least 4 of those bars with a reasonable (i.e. 60% or better) strength. And, on a device that has no current almanach and ephemeris data, time. Ephemeris data takes at least 2 minutes, full almanach information 15 minutes to trickle down over the 50 baud satellite data stream (incidentally this is exactly where A-GPS comes in: it allows that this paramount data reaches the device in the blink of an eye via network, thus speeding up the process tremendously).

An unobstructed view of the horizon will tend to help greatly (unless you're close to the equator), as GPS satellites often tend to be visible at a fairly low elevation. Note that in the northern hemisphere, this view should be facing south, whereas in the southern hemisphere, it would be north. (Don't shoot me if some detail is off here, all of this is from memory; I was doing some research on improving lousy GPS reception some years back.)

In any case, back to GPSJinni -- at some point, provided enough white bars have been visible for long enough, some will eventually turn green: congratulations, you now have a fix! Any application using the location service now should be able to tell you where you are, be it Maemo Mapper, OVI Maps or whatever.

Incidentally, from my personal observation here and during my aforementioned research, GPS is one of the most less understood and most highly overrated technologies when it comes to the general public. People seem to expect miracles from (especially consumer) GPS devices, when in fact, they are inherently "unreliable" beasts due to the nature of the entire system and the rather flaky antennas that tend to be used in GPS add-ons to general-purpose devices like phones.

No idea, but it's probably those overblown scenarious depicted in Hollywood productions where a modern-day MacGyver uses GPS to track someone on the lowest level of an abandoned coal mine that causes people to have these unrealistic expectations.

Simply put (or as Scotty would say): A canna' change the laws of physics!

So how good is the N900 GPS? Well, worse than my M-241 data logger, just somewhat worse than my Nokia 6210 Navigator. But a loooooong way better than a Siemens SXG-75 or Motorola E-1000 phone of days past. It is able to get a fix just from signals reflected by neighbouring buildings at a window facing north (I'm in the northern hemisphere, so, as mentioned above, worst case) in an amiable time (around 2-3 minutes, provided it's not a really bad constellation and its almanach data is not outdated).

Whoops, this had become rather long-ish bordering on rant

Hope it helps someone anyway.

Regards,

Chris.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chrget For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
How do you zoom the map in? You can zoom in on the webpage but not sure on the map itself?
Enable your cursor, and "double tap" to "zoom-in". Not sure about "zoom-out".

*** edit - Maybe one of the number or letter keys. I'll have to check the default's on my g/f's e71.

Regarding your "long and boring" post, , I'd only use the 900 and its GPS/google maps, to find POIs, or if I'm out of town and "on foot". For actual driving directions, I'd rather use my car's AVIC or Garmin...but I understand not everyone has these options. However by default, I would never rely on an "all-in-one device" to provide stellar results, in all situations, despite its "handiness".

The Following User Says Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post: