Active Topics

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
I dont google and look for every single thing I need in a phone...
I wont google to find out if I can change profiles in the N900, I wont google to see if it has stable internet connections, I wont google for every single bit of information...

did U see in a review that u cannot change profiles? is there any review which states the problems in the N900?? MFE issues?
Must be nice to have so much money you can drop that much on a device without finding out first whether it will do what you want or you want what it will do. Say, I have this lovely fondue maker that I can sell you...

Honestly, you guys. I have read a bunchload of reviews, most that praised the device and the rest simply not getting it. Not a one of them seemed to have had the phone long enough to to notice the things that will bother an owner over time.

I read all I came over and I come from the 'probably will not get the phone features perfect in the first device' camp with experience from the N810. And I love the device.

But saying things like 'that what happens when you buy something you don't know what is' is just dumb. I have read more about the N900 than I read about the car I just bought. And in no review did I see that the microUSB was non-standard and moody. I read thousands of lines but did not expect how few maemo 4 appliations was/would be any time soon released for Maemo 5. Neither my experience with Linux nor anything I have read had prepared me for such incompatibility. And nowhere did it say that it wasn't possible with custom ring tones per contact. For me, that's like buying a car and finding out you can't open the rear side windows. It's just so basic functionality that you can't be expected to google for it.

The N900 is an excellent device in oh so many ways. As a phone, it is not. And not any reviews I have read has said it was a bad phone. Only that it's not an advanced smart phone. Without stating what that means. So please.

The N900 is being advertised to the mass market as a phone and more. If you hate that people buy it and expect a polished phone, then you should hate the marketing of it. Not the people who believe what they are told.

Stop attacking people for wanting a phone when they buy what they truely have no reason not to believe is a phone. There is no review or ad out there saying 'a mobile computer with some basic phone functionality'. It does say 'a phone. a mobile computer'.

Nokia marketed it too broadly because the N97 got torn asunder all over the web. Nokia made people buy this product. Stop hating people for buying it.

The hostility against disgruntled users hurts the Maemo platform where the goal should be to adjust the platform to conform to the use cases.

'A car can't turn right? Stop blaming Ford! That's what you get for not reading up on what you buy. Go away, we don't want people here who wants to turn any other way than left...'

That's what it feels like to read threads like this.

This coming from someone who knew pretty much what he bought.

Last edited by volt; 2010-02-13 at 11:01.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
That's it. If you got the money to just blow willy nilly, then go for it.

But if you're going to whinge that it doesn't do what you want it to after you made an impulse purchase, go cry to your mother, boy.

See, this is exactly the kind of effort that goes into making a platform a worse choice. You are actually spending energy to make the world a worse place.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
Its lagging since this afternoon... lack of profiles ( general, silent, outdoor, meeting) like the previous nokias... i dont see the point of open source - maybe because I Dont understand and use linux.... i have to use it all the time in landscape... I have to charge the battery twice a day.... Its a long process to call someone, due to lack of call key... the media player stopped responding earlier on.... and lot more...

theres also a lot of things i like, but there seems to be no solution for the existing ones...

I'm used to registry tweaks, customised ROMS...

DISCLAIMER: I am not starting another rant on here... I gave a reply to what I dont like abt the phone.. ........

when i first see the n900, i got the idea that i need to get this one, since i never used an internet tablet before, and a maemo device, i thought that this is my chance.

since i got my first qwerty keyboard phone, i find myself using a phone on a landscape mode, well atleast you can use n900 on portrait in the phone app, and i believe that "all landscape" mode can be fixed by future updates....i hope, and hope that'll come quick.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
I have grown to like the N900 but if I have the option of returning it, I will. Lucky you. Return it ASAP.

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Must be nice to have so much money you can drop that much on a device without finding out first whether it will do what you want or you want what it will do. Say, I have this lovely fondue maker that I can sell you...
Seriuosly who checks these things? My first Nokia was exactly 10 years ago. It had custom ring tone for each contact. I have had about 8 Nokias since then. Each one has had the same feature. I never ever checked the internet each time to check if this was the case. Why would I do so for the N900. Some features are assumed to be a given, particularly if you have had 8 phones from that manufacturer that had that feature. Custom ringtones is just an example.

Sorry don't mean to be rude but it is absolutely ridiculous to suggest you should check whether a $600 device has things which are ridiculously basic.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
The n900 is not perfect by any means but its open to so many possibilities and is of near infinite potential. For example, I was watching sky news in KMplayer earlier and playing my fav internet radio in the background with lots of browser windows open. My Nokia 5800 is great for my smartphone needs but the N900 is on a different level, my Sony vaio is gathering dust; I regret spending a fortune on iPod touch now and wish I can return it. The N900 is a glimpse into the future and its a shame that a few people dont see it that way. There is nothing like the N900 brick out there - fullstop.

The Following User Says Thank You to Enyibinakata For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Seriuosly who checks these things? My first Nokia was exactly 10 years ago. It had custom ring tone for each contact. I have had about 8 Nokias since then. Each one has had the same feature. I never ever checked the internet each time to check if this was the case. Why would I do so for the N900. Some features are assumed to be a given, particularly if you have had 8 phones from that manufacturer that had that feature. Custom ringtones is just an example.

Sorry don't mean to be rude but it is absolutely ridiculous to suggest you should check whether a $600 device has things which are ridiculously basic.
Try buying a Bang and Olufsen TV, you will be shocked to see that it misses features that is taken for granted in the typical Samsung or Panasonic TV but most buyers know this as they are more interested in picture / build quality and prestige.. Consider the heritage of the N900, it started life as a MID and the addition of a phone is just an evolution. Its forte is browsing, internet radio/tv, voip and instant messaging and it delivers these better than any solution out there with unparalleled openess to boot. I will gladly pay $1000 for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Enyibinakata For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Enyibinakata View Post
The n900 is not perfect by any means but its open to so many possibilities and is of near infinite potential. (...) The N900 is a glimpse into the future and its a shame that a few people dont see it that way. There is nothing like the N900 brick out there - fullstop.
Actually I think that is the first thing people learn about the N900 when they first hear about it. Most people know of the potential. It's the downsides that surprise them. Me, I always look through tests and reviews for downsides. The N900 is so much a future device with potential that the reviewers don't bother to talk about basic features. So, these things slipped through unmentioned. (Not here though, once owners started to exist, and since I had a N810 I was already reading the Maemo forums)

It is no wonder that people are attracted to the N900 when maemo has such potential. Never mind that much of this potential is 'fixed in' the next device, and not this one. But what good is potential if basic features that these people rely on is lacking now? Potential is birds on the roof.

Tags
disclose before selling, extremism rules!, flamewar, here be ranting, learn before buying, misery loves company, never blame nokia, provisioning, troll, wgaf