Notices

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Dont know why I even bother with Nokia given the level of their slackness and incompetence. The only bit they get right is hardware. Services, Software ? FAILURE

I think its more that the n900 doesn't support syncml which is what ovi suite uses, not sure if they can get syncml working, if not another solution needs to be made.

Don't ask me where the source for not supporting syncml was from, I just remember reading that was the reason why it doesn't support ovi sync.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
What is OVI suite, Is that the thing that I can load up when I plug my N900 into the PC? Their nokia PC suite sits on my girlfriends machine despite the fact I got her an HTC to replace the rubbish (old none touch screen thing) Nokia phone she had (some old candy bar thing) and she never used it other than to copy a file for a ring tone to her phone once.

Looking at the reply I am not surprised Nokia are 'developing it,' it would give basic functionality for most. Given the App store is about 220 ( I don't count the videos) I am shocked Nokia are devloping at all, I seriously don't think they are paying people to do stuff in their HQ for the N900. There certainly hasn't been anything added of worth to me since I got it. I am not saying the community haven't done useful stuff, just that I don't find it useful to me. I want a decent inbox, MMS and get rid of conversations for a start. (Or an app) I am not into candle touch, games and things like spirit levels etc.

As has been said, I think Nokia is paying lip service to the App store, but it is is annoying for iphone fanbois to have an 'app for this' and an 'app for that.' Apple and Android are laughing when the worlds biggest phone manufacturer is to be honest, doing nowt to fight back. They should be paying teams of people to bring them to the Ovi store, to get a good 400-500 apps as a starting point (No videos). Because when you compare iphone and N900, the app store is a major selling point for the competition.

Either way I am impressed you got a reply to your complaint.

The Following User Says Thank You to twigleaf1976 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
as of now, we are in the process of developing a software application specifically for the N900
This means not ovi suite to me too. Ovi suite is not an application specifically for the N900. And that sounds good. It will enable the developers to add more functionality that a 'one-size-fits-all' software like ovi suite can't handle. Maybe it is linux based with a port to windows (better than the other way around)

Straying off topic, I don't care if the delayed ovi suite means losses for nokia. It means gains for the device and the opensource community methinks. I would like if the software that run on the device was strictly gpl. Commercial software houses could charge for services to make their money (e.g. sygic could charge for updated maps or navigation or sth)
________
Headshop

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:30.

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Ohhh poooh!

Too much coffee!

Would OVI Suite be available under Linux too?
(*johnel ducks under desk*)
I hope so!

As they say they are writing software specifically for the N900 there ought to be a chance.

The N900 is a Linux based machine so they should support sync from from Linux desktops as well as windows ones! I use Ubuntu at home and only boot into XP when I really need to.

It would make sense to me if they wrote the N900 stuff in QT to get some real platform independence going!

Last edited by lagonda; 2010-03-29 at 10:35.

Okay people! The long long wait (by the looks of it) is over!

If you update your N900 it should have Ovi Suite support here: http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/n900

Hope it works! PC compatibility is a big deal for me too!

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
@Jaisun_Acy - Don't confuse store and suite
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
That site states that
Latest software release for Nokia N900 is 2.2009.51.1 *
Mine says 3.2010.02-8 so I guess it's old news. And where is it they mention ovi suite support on that site?
________
Toys Cam

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:31.

Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
I want a decent inbox, MMS and get rid of conversations for a start. (Or an app) I am not into candle touch, games and things like spirit levels etc.
+1
Couldn't of said it better myself.I just want the messaging suite to work with the N900 for the time being. Anything else I dont mind waiting for, but I know there are many others who want other functionality (myself included) to be up and working.

When I had an SE there was a 3rd party PC suite app called My Phone Explorer, and I used it over SE's offical PC Suite. I know this might be asking ALOT, but is there anyone who could develop a 3rd party software suite like this for the N900?

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Why are you made that you bought a phone that doesn't have a feature, when the feature wasn't advertised. If the biggest thing for you is Ovi Support go by an N97. People really need to understand the N900 isn't a Flagship device its a Niche device.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Tags
n900, no ovi for n900, ovi