Notices

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
I will be glad if there's tip to get GPS lock quickly without data connection coz last time I wanted to use Maps, it never got locked and didn't know where I was standing at all in the map and I was just walking to river side just around half an hour away from where I live. So, I manually dragged the map to where I was and figured out which way to go

wish i had a working google map on my n900 like i had on my e71.

10x guys you are all good

Originally Posted by Edsal View Post
wish i had a working google map on my n900 like i had on my e71.
Have you tried the Mapper? It supports Google Maps, among others.

Posts: 262 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Scotland
I somehow have managed to delete my offline uk maps, is there a quick fix to getting them back?

TIA

Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
For me, Ovi Maps is completely useless because you can not enter an address because you can not enter numbers on the search screen. At least if you can, it is not obvious. All you can do is find street names, which isn't helpful if the street is a mile long.

Who the hell makes a map application that doesn't have basic functionality in it?
You can enter numbers. You need to hold down the blue function key and select your number at the same time. Works fine on my N900.

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
Another annoyance of OVI Maps:

Everytime I open the application, I have to go to settings and change "Units of Measurement" to METRIC Units.

When OVI Maps is closed and re-opened, the setting would be back to Imperial Units.

Guess we gotta change the whole country to Imperial Units then....

Kind regards.

The Following User Says Thank You to febb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
Originally Posted by StonedOne View Post
The OVI Maploader is not needed for N900, just download the maps and put them in your maps folder. Did this for three european countrys now.
Seems I am missing something here:

Besides visiting the region you are interested in, within OVI Maps, that is...and being online, of course; action that will download the maps and store them (at least the "visited" parts) in the device:
What is the other way (without using the Map Loader) to actually download map files and directly store those maps files in the maps folder of the N900 ? Getting them from a web page?

Thanks for your time and comments.

ovi maps would be perfect if i could just change the POI database

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
To me, it is as if Ovi Maps was written by aliens, who have no idea of the human conventions for software - menus, etc.
I waste ages looking for a simple tool, like "save this point".
Is there a manual anywhere for the maemo version of Ovi maps?
Even a simple clear list of what it can and can not do would save much frustration.
Just trying to keep north up in 2D view was sending me insane at one point.