Im just surprised this thread hasn't been merged yet...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you know what you are looking for you are in better shape than most searchers.

The real answer to the problem is a good Wiki. Check out the Overclocking section of the Wiki and compare it to the impossibly long overclocking thread, for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
I for one am glad that threads with similar content get merged together, they get in the way of other usefull threads.
I came on here a couple of weeks ago and there were half a dozen threads in active topics with pr1.2 in the title, not to mention all the extra overclocking threads started because people either cant be bothered or dont know how to do a search,
speaking of which the excuse "the thread is too big, how can i find anything in 3500 posts" is ridiculous, does knowone use the search within thread in thread tools.
I think a tutorial on how to use the forum would be a good idea, if people want to post they must complete the tutorial.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
I'm with the OP (original poster?) on this. One of my gripes is that sometimes a thread becomes confusing until you read "thread with 7 msgs merged with...etc" a few messages later.
Why not lock them and give a reference to the main thread?
Searching within these extremely long threads is also not easy, since you sometimes get lots of hits back (although I will try the power search some more from now on).
The Wikis can be useful, but often they are not up to date so you still need to search the threads. And even if they are, you still don't know if they are....