Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
First of all i want to clear something here about the word "bricked".
Countless threads are talking about "bricked" my N900 etc etc etc and i feel its very unfair indeed to use the word BRICKED in the case of the N900 . . .

I agree with you. Way too much 'fear-mongering' and even blatant trolling about how the N900 can be bricked.

Just some quick examples:

. . .i was only asking if it was possible to have an un-install system made possible for the n900 to stop the amount of help needed for people looping and bricking their devices it is now starting to get out of hand as per usual on this forum !!
No way am i wrong because the very problem is the app does not un-install completely in some cases as it has already done its damage to the os, hence why sometimes the reboot makes the loop and brick situation happen.
. . being responsible enough to at least make the apps of our own making un-installable so we can carry on without being subject to uneeded loop and brick situation, ok for you it may well be fun but for others who are not able to put it right its a nightmare.
If this situation is looked at properly and implemented in the right way to actually stop people from installing dangerous untested apps (and some tested i might add!) then i am sure their will be a lot less bricked, rebooting problems occuring on this forum.
Etc, etc, etc...
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I agree with you. Way too much 'fear-mongering' and even blatant trolling about how the N900 can be bricked.

Just some quick examples:

Etc, etc, etc...
classic quotage!!!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

I don't know the difference between N810 and N900. But I indeed bricked my N810 by doing
warning: please don't try it, if you don't know for sure.
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock0
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock1
/dev/mtdblock0 is for bootloader
/dev/mtdblock1 is for config

Now there are nothing show on screen when do firmware flashing or firmware cold flashing by using USB.

I know there are Serial Console connector under the battery which perhaps can be used for cold flashing.
TTL level converter is needed and tools to access pad connector also needed. I have found this

I haven't try to unbricked it because I haven't bought these tools.

Under Nokia label, other pad connectors can be found perhaps for JTAG port. But no function for each pad connector can be found.

N810 don't have ROM/BootRom let user choose booting from NAND or from MMC/SD, when all code on NAND is zeroed, it will be bricked. That's all I know about this situation.

The Following User Says Thank You to u2maemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
no need to mock abill_uk...
each thread should be judged fairly and this one is very good.

there may be one way to brick the N900. im not sure if i use the terms correctly now, but if u manage to manipulate/overwrite the bootloader flash rom on the n900 it may get ugly.

it would be comparable to playing with overwriting the bios on a pc, with the purpose of adding features but it may turn out that the bios is incompatible and ends in disaster.

if the N900 boot loader (if it has one) is overwriteable it can create some situations where more complicated hardware approaches is needed... maybe thats where the JTAG writer comes in?

overclock to 9GHz

The Following User Says Thank You to PradaBrada For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Yes, I'm happy to see someone bring back proper usage of "brick".

If it is bricked it is like a brick. It doesn't light up. It doesn't charge. It just sits there like a brick.

Unfortunately, so many people use it incorrectly that you may as well assume that a phone reported as bricked isn't bricked till proven otherwise.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by S0urcerr0r View Post
no need to mock abill_uk...
each thread should be judged fairly and this one is very good.
Oh, there was no mocking intended. I was simply agreeing with him
Seeing some of abill_uk's posts I'm pretty sure he has a good sense of humor.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-05-27 at 21:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Oh man... you guys are so overlooking the incredible rate at which better "idiots" are being created in order to break better technology.

Posts: 195 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Vancouver, Canada
Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
overclock to 9GHz
it's over 9000!

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hong Kong, CHINA
Mine goes to 11GHz.