Active Topics

Originally Posted by hackm0d View Post
Hey everyone,
I'm new here and wanted to purchase the N900, however I thought I'd ask the members of the community a few question before I do so:

1. Does the internet browser have Flash? Is it the full web or just a hindered, crippled mobile one?
2. About apps, is there a ZIP/RAR unpacker? An RSS reader I can keep on the homescreen? A BitTorrent client (i.e. not a remote control software, an actual client)? An office suite?
3. Has the famed PR1.2 firmware been released yet? Does it have portrait mode functionality? I'd really like that.
4. Does the FM transmitter function as an audio device? Can I, for instance, use the FM transmitter with audio in the web browser (YouTube, for instance) or with a video player?
5. Can I use a Bluetooth keyboard (it should have the HID profile)? Or is it possible to hook a keyboard up via USB host?
6. How's the codec support for the video player? Can it play MKVs? XviD? DivX? Is it possible to install additional codecs?
7. I'm migrating from a Nokia E90. Is the hardware keyboard easy to adjust to?
8. Does it have Google Maps? Or will I have to stick with Ovi Maps?
9. How is daily usage? Can it actually function as a reliable phone?
Thanks a million to anyone who can answer these questions with a satisfying answer.
1. yes it does support flash. Not sure about which versions but almost all websites I have gone to work fine except for some clips in BBC world.
2. NOt aware of a RSS widget app but there are a few RSS readers that are integrated well
3. yes, you can activate the portrait mode with the PR1.2 rel but you may be surprised to find that because N900 renders the FULL website just like in PCs, its actually much more pleasing to use it in landscape mode for almost eveything in the web
4. yes, you can play music and internet radio via FM xmitter but not videos and Youtube content. Not sure if there is an app to enable FM xmitter in these two video modes though.
5. Dont know about the USB bluetooth support for keyboard but I dont see why you couldnt use bluetooth keyboard
6. dont know which v-codecs but I have been able to watch content from old samsung clips, nokia 3gpps, wav, and have not yet loaded a video that cannot be played back
7. unless you have big fingers its very nice to use with a solid feel. Doing a control, shift and third key is the only thing I find difficult to do
8. yes, there are google maps but I find the OVI maps that can be downloaded much easier to use mainly due to the integration
9. Excellent 3G/GSM voice quality with 1.5 days with average 3G use. Skype voice quality is amazing, as well as excellent skype video calls now between N900-N900 and N900-windows PCs BOTH over WiFi as well as 3G!

Thanks guys for the replies, when I buy the phone I'll come here to get started again.
Oh just a few more things, how's the A/V out (I presume the cable comes with the phone)? Can I output to a TV with no issues at all? Video playback is fine?
Yes you can, remember that it is only composite quality. But for stuff like Xvid tv-series and emulator gaming, it is simply the best thing since sliced bread.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
Thanks guys for the replies, when I buy the phone I'll come here to get started again.
Oh just a few more things, how's the A/V out (I presume the cable comes with the phone)? Can I output to a TV with no issues at all? Video playback is fine?
Comes with cable and outputs stereo audio too. I've tried on over a dozen TV's and it works great on all of them.
I love this feature. I watch youtube on the projector.

AV is not HD, but quality is very good.
After you connect to a TV or projector, you will see your desktop exactly how you see it on the phone...

4. yes, you can play music and internet radio via FM xmitter but not videos and Youtube content. Not sure if there is an app to enable FM xmitter in these two video modes though.
This is not true. At any time, so also while watching a youtube video in an app, or through the site, playing a game, doing anything , you can go to the settings, and under FM-transmitter, you can just turn on FM-transmitter, and all the sounds get played through your stereo.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brno, Czech Republic
It's great to give talk about N900 from N900!

hackmod,,can you please tell me,,how to create a new thread in this talk of maemo,,,plzz tks

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Karachi, Pakistan
I understand that it's composite and as such I'm not expecting much.
btw I record some TV series and encode them into XviD (w/ an AVI container), can I play those on the N900?
As far as I have made out from this thread, I seem to be getting a very good response from N900 users out there about the phones plus points. Might as well buy one tomorrow, so excited.

btw does it have a flashlight that can use the video light?
how is the sync support for the Ovi Store?
If I use PR1.2 can I also use an overclocked kernel? (I just want a minor speed boost, around 100-200MHz would be okay)

I understand that it's composite and as such I'm not expecting much.
btw I record some TV series and encode them into XviD (w/ an AVI container), can I play those on the N900?
As far as I have made out from this thread, I seem to be getting a very good response from N900 users out there about the phones plus points. Might as well buy one tomorrow, so excited.

btw does it have a flashlight that can use the video light?
how is the sync support for the Ovi Store?
If I use PR1.2 can I also use an overclocked kernel? (I just want a minor speed boost, around 100-200MHz would be okay)
Hack can you please help me out

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Karachi, Pakistan
Originally Posted by Geekworld View Post
hackmod,,can you please tell me,,how to create a new thread in this talk of maemo,,,plzz tks
Sure, just go into whatever forum section (or sub-forum) you like, and then click the new thread button (usually in orange) at the top of the page.

The Following User Says Thank You to hackm0d For This Useful Post: