Crappy warranty service goes across the field and across industries. But always expect rubbish answers from the first person you talk to. I had a Palm T|X that had a broken 5-way navigator after 11 months (1-year warranty). Of course, the first thing the support person wanted me to do was a hard reset (hit reset while holding "up"). I kept explaining that "up" was physically broken and it wasn't really possible to do that. It's really hard for them to get past that step in their script.

Anyways, I finally got someone who realized it wasn't software, but he didn't want to replace it. He said they would only replace it if it was defective. I said it broke in under a year, and that is the definition of defective. He said if it broke in the first 90 days, they would have covered it (I think he was off script). I asked him how many days were in a year cause it was sure as hell more than 90. I asked him where the warranty said anything at all about 90 days. I realized that he would never hang up and decided I wouldn't either. We went around-and-around for a good 45 minutes before he agreed to fix it.

Anyways, these gadgets are nothing compared to my warranty problems today. I have a '01 Honda Odyssey. In 2002, Honda realized that there was a material defect in the transmission on several Honda models (from '99-'01) and they extended the warranty to 7 years or 100K. (In 2006, they settled a class action lawsuit and extended it an additional 9 months or 109K). Well, here I am with only 60K but a 9 year old Honda and the transmission goes out. Technically, I'm out of warranty.

The problem is 100% related to the known defect. Apparently, they now handle these on a "case-by-case" basis rather than outright denying claims. I had to fax them my maintenance records and now I get to wait around to see how much they're willing to spend. Depending on the outcome, I'm looking to spend anywhere between $0-$4,600. On a problem that they know was their own fault.

Ultimately, what's legal in a warranty is a function of how many people are willing to sue and how willing the company is to sacrifice their reputation. In 2001, Honda had the top reputation in the industry (the main reason we chose Honda). Apparently, that reputation is worth less than the cost to fix their own mistakes.

Nokia never had that great of a reputation to start with...

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
If your original device breaks within its warranty period, then the warranty is honored. If they fix it, then you usually have an extra grace period (30-120 days) or the rest of the original warranty period. If they replace it with a new device, the original warranty is usually considered fulfilled since your device broke and they honored it. Now you have a new device with a new warranty. The new warranty will be less than the one year, I'm sure. Probably the same as the grace period they would otherwise extend you.

Nothing really unethical about this. They warranty devices, not purchase dates.

EDIT:

Warranties aren't insurance. If you want insurance, go buy it.

That said, I really do sympathize with your situation. I would be pissed as well. In the end though, I think their policy is reasonable.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
If your original device breaks within its warranty period, then the warranty is honored. If they fix it, then you usually have an extra grace period (30-120 days) or the rest of the original warranty period. If they replace it with a new device, the original warranty is usually considered fulfilled since your device broke and they honored it. Now you have a new device with a new warranty. The new warranty will be less than the one year, I'm sure. Probably the same as the grace period they would otherwise extend you.

Nothing really unethical about this. They warranty devices, not purchase dates.

EDIT:

Warranties aren't insurance. If you want insurance, go buy it.

That said, I really do sympathize with your situation. I would be pissed as well. In the end though, I think their policy is reasonable.
Nope, that's nonsense. They've not fulfilled their original warranty by replacing your new phone + 1 year warranty with a refurbished phone + 30 days warranty. That's not an equitable swap, so the replacement has to have at least the same warranty period. I suppose they might have scope for modifying this if the original warranty claim was determined to be invalid (e.g. accidental damage), but this would still need agreement/notification of the change of terms.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Somebody please go through Nokia's warranty legal papers.. I'm sure they've put this in writing somewhere to cover their a**...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Somebody please go through Nokia's warranty legal papers.. I'm sure they've put this in writing somewhere to cover their a**...
It may be possible in the US, but in the UK (and EU in general I think) they're certainly not allowed to do that - the warranty is a statutory requirement and they can't dictate the terms.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Just to answer your earlier question about where they find a refurbished phone so quickly after they go to market, itll either be one that was sold DOA so returned and repaired, or more likely, someone who bought it then returned it because they plain didn't want it - Products thatve been opened then returned, despite working perfectly, almost always end up being re-sold as "refurbished", as theyre no longer new.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
No idea about the USA but in the UK or anywhere else in europe no restrictions within a warranty small-print can negate the fact that your product is covered for a minimum of a year, and both UK and EU law also have requirements that a device is "fit for purpose", and a £500 device intended to make phone calls who'se GSM antenna dies after a few months wouldnt in any circumstance be considered fit for purpose, so would be acknowledged as needing fixing by any court.
Not that it would need to get that far if the guy's friend hadnt thrown a hissy fit, speaking sensibly to a call-centre monkey who isnt an idiot would have gotten the device repaired.

Last edited by nidO; 2010-06-16 at 08:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to nidO For This Useful Post:
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
somedude:
did u try your own sim-card in his phone as well? maybe forgot to pay the bill...

i forgot it once and 15 days after the expired bill date, the "phone" apps stopped working (no signal). after paying the bill i could call again.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
A completely pointless post and argument as they destroyed the phone. Can I suggest anger managementt counselling

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@somedude: btw, i hope your friend is a filthy rich bastage who can afford to burn money
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
usually if you purchase INSURANCE there is a clause where a replacement will void the insurance and you're no longer covered. however this should not apply to manufacturer warranties in my experience. the 90days clause from the rep who was 'off script' probably applies to accessories, they recieve 90 day warranties for headphones batteries etc.

this said i'm in the uk and they definately would not get away with that here, actually a little known fact in the eu any electrical devices sold should be fit for purpose for 5years from the date of purchase, so with a little research and well worded correspondance free out of warranty repairs are possible.

moral of the story, check BEFORE smashing your phone!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.