Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I tend to agree with mikecomputing on this. 'Best of both worlds' rarely happens in reality. Why would developers bother to target Maemo/Meego using Qt, when they can develop for Android in the knowledge that their applications can be run on Maemo/Meego devices in addition to Android devices.

I think this move could be a disincentive to develop for Maemo/Meego using Qt.
They already cant be bothered as it is. When PreEnv was released we all realized how little effort a Maemo port would take and basically did the job for them ... there are still no official ports.

More power to the Maemo OS as a tool of all trades if we can get Dalvik VM running.

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
I tend to agree with mikecomputing on this. 'Best of both worlds' rarely happens in reality. Why would developers bother to target Maemo/Meego using Qt, when they can develop for Android in the knowledge that their applications can be run on Maemo/Meego devices in addition to Android devices.

I think this move could be a disincentive to develop for Maemo/Meego using Qt.
Developer won't develop android app for maemo/meego until dalvik is supported in those platform by nokia/linux foundation or whoever are officials for those platform, did developers started adding n900 in their supported handset list for their app because nitdroid works in it?

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Why would developers bother to target Maemo/Meego using Qt, when they can develop for Android in the knowledge that their applications can be run on Maemo/Meego devices in addition to Android devices.
So you really believe that lack of Dalvik support on such niche target as N900 would cause Java developers to drop all they know already, rush them to learn C++/Qt and rewrite their apps to Qt?

paid apps wont work on n900 - just look at the preenv thread - piracy is no big deal to these posters. hell many of these ppl dont even understand what "free" software means.

so why would a dev port an app to an extremly small niche market when many of these users will just pirate your material ?

there is a reason why so few commercial devs support the n900 - most see it as a futile and monetary loss cause.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
Cool! So then we can install the Lighthouse Qt4 port on Davlik, and finally be able to run Qt4 apps on our beloved N900's. Awesome!

Uhh... What?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Qt must happen on android. Simple as that.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
if you want android apps get an android phone instead. The maemo oss or nonoss developers/community doesnt want dalvik. if they want they change to android.

and btw. if there is apps in android that is more stable than maemo once, why not help fix maemoapps instead of saying to the deveelopers to feed google by porting dalvik/android to n900 instead?

thats only stupid imho. I prefer choices but that choices doesnt mean we all should feed google so maemo/meego community totals dies causee everybody wants reinvent everything from Android and in the end kill core maemo/meego apps.

imho, this is the same reason why some people want to climb on top of a mountain -- because it is there and they just want to be on top of it

cheers,

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
So you really believe that lack of Dalvik support on such niche target as N900 would cause Java developers to drop all they know already, rush them to learn C++/Qt and rewrite their apps to Qt?
doing more advanced stuff in maemo then you have to learn C++. Exacly the case as in Android. Small apps on n900 can be done in QtQuick+javascripts or python so the learningcurve is less than in Androidcase. And if developers is stupid enough to think Android or Iphone is only future then they is out of job in some years anyway. Everything changes new platforms comes and dissapears. but imho dalvik in top of an already good platform is just stupid. its like emulate windows in linux..

But I am 100 percent sure developers in atleast european will start make QT based mobileapps. The problem is not learning QT. The problem is lack of devices atm. as soon as Nokia gets more symbian/meego based phones out and maybe some netbook manufactor we get more apps. Dont forget the facts that qt already is on desktopmarket too.

so I really don get why we even need those Android based apps on maemo or meego it will just bring problems. halfdone dalvik for geeks and lazy developers and that is and no point at all cause we already has a better development framework with qt.

My guess is those who want this is developers who hasnt used QT or endusers who has no clue about why QT is better and dalvik bad opinion on maemo/meego/symbian. However I could understand lack of apps makes people think dalvik would fix it but that is not the case. If its even will be done by some geek it wil be a prof of concept beta and slow.

We only have to give QT some time. I am sure there will be alot more apps in ovi in a year. if you dont wanna wait/develop again get a new phone with android.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-01-15 at 23:21.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
If its even will be done by some geek it wil be a prof of concept beta and slow.
Now you're being unfair and insulting to all the smart people here.

hell many of these ppl dont even understand what "free" software means
That's not true, they just don't care what it means.

Tags
flame war, just shoot me