Notices

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
Speaking as a dev with no iPhone experience, telling us what you actually want is better than saying you want all the millions of apps available on the iOS app store. Specifics please Then maybe we could work something out. I'm not against the idea at all for creating new apps that exist on the iPhone or Android platforms.b I've just not seen anything in my few minutes of google searches that seems appealing. Games aside, I don't think most of us have the time or experience to develop the quality of games those platforms have. but useful utilities for sure.
But what is considered "useful" and by whom? I'm curious.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
What would be useful to the users of the N900/Maemo whether developers or not. I'm sure I'm not the only one that is open to ideas. Pretty much anything toys,utilities etc. Just not full blown 3D games as I don't have the time or experience to do something so large.

@tswindell,
I think there is a general problem in the dev world of OSS... And it is the lack of good team work... There are a lot of devs that start their own app that has similar functionality to another already existent OSS app... and thus they do go all the way of "reinventing the hot water" from the beginning... Examples are everywhere even on N900...
Don't you think it will be much more efficient and fast if all the devs working on apps with similar functionality gather into one team, take one of those apps that is at the most advanced stage of development and concentrate all their efforts in making this one app the best among the other apps? How do you think pidgin, gimp etc projects became so popular and full featured(well almost full featured infact)?
Anyway this way of working is a kinda utopia... Even devs are people with their vanity, high self esteem etc etc... things that do not quite help the OSS idea

I try not to write something that others' are doing. But choice is good and if we can't work together well, at lease we can learn and draw inspiration from them

Yeah i know how hard it is to work on a code done by others.... but it is not impossible....
Otherwise we end up with five "map" applications for N900 and none of them really doing its job correctly....
And a side effect is that the needs for apps doing a certain task are not countless...

EDIT: This thread has gone totally offtopic... not without my "help"... so i apologize the author...

Sure, so, must have app ideas from either iOS or Android please

Ok here is an idea (not an iOS or Android anyway):
An app for adding a background sound (or a sound effect) while in a call, so the other party hears that background sound/effect + the callers voice.
This way it will seem as if the caller is in a park/crowded room etc...
This feature is present in some of the Privileg phones (an unknown brand with some own created OS).

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm not seeing the expansion in apps between Maemo 4 to Maemo 5. I do see the expansion in integration; however both apps had RTComm, both had Skype, both had MicroB, both had Mauku, both had an Nav app, both had Xournal.

I'm over-simplifying things quite a bit. But as it stands, the expansion of apps is minor compared between generations if you were casually looking only at the surface. Underneath the surface... hell yeah. Tons of growth.
Any numbers to back this up ? My (completely unofficial) numbers show a significant jump (especially if I factor in that Maemo 5 got to those numbers in a lot less time).

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
If it was though, one thing is for sure. It would never look as pretty as it does on an iPhone.
I beg to differ, sir. Lipstick can be slapped on anything.

Name:  Screenshot-20100122-070756.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  23.5 KB

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I beg to differ, sir. Lipstick can be slapped on anything.

Attachment 12643
"How true", said Miss Piggy.

What I was trying to determine was the OP's "need".

Was it information that a particular app provides or a was it the way the iPhone or Android presented this information that the OP desired.

SLN member # 009