Active Topics

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by luketoh View Post
I'm not sure how you move with the stylus as per your video. I had to move using the dpad.
Correct, the stylus tap movement is not yet playable - it breaks object-pick-up.
Originally Posted by luketoh View Post
Edit: I've played a bit more. I realise that some text appears off the screen at the bottom. Also, I hope the framerates can be improved. I was slightly irritated by the jerkiness. Not your fault...just that maybe I'm getting old...anything too jerky gives me a headache.
Are you referring to text that occurs when you are engaged in a dialogue with someone? This should appear at top of screen, always.
Perhaps you are seeing other townspeople talking to themselves out loud, when walking around town. If those characters are off the edge of your screen, you will only see part of the text.

I share your pain about framerate and pauses while walking. But remember that Exult has been in ongoing development for many years, and the game's goal is best compatibility with the original U7 - not performance optimized for 220mhz CPUs. Don't expect me to find a magic bullet to fix the performance problems soon.

Well, actually i _can_ see a couple of ways to get better performance, but they might introduce gameplay compatibility problems. Therefore i'll implement the dangerous speed hacks as an in-game toggle called 'PupSpeed' or something :P that will give higher framerate and reduce the frequency of those annoying pauses. If that breaks game compatibility at some point, just switch toggle back to 'compatibility mode' and reload your last savegame to get past the trouble spot.

cheers

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-05-01 at 19:55.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Hello everybody,

Hasn't been any messages here for a while so hopefully somebody's still watching this...I'm using an N810, any chance of getting this to run on it? I would imagine the new clock speed increase might do it good. I'd really love to be able to play U7 on my N810, it's one of my all time favorite games.

The gstreamer-tools package doesn't seem to be available for OS2008 in the repositories so I didn't even try installing yet, figured I'd try to ask here first.

Any chance ArnimS is still continuing with this project?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I'm running Exult in OS2008 without any problems (besides the keyboard one, use xvkbd for the time being)

Great to hear! Did you do anything special to install? I didn't see the gstreamer package, that's mainly what I'm thinking of.

What gstreamer package?

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
the way exult manages music playback internally is fairly convoluted. i had to muck with it for a few days to figure it out.

let me know what is most annoying about exult. i'll try to fix it to be more playable. for me the worst part is having to use dpad to walk around - it gets really tiring.

i don't really use xkbd with exult - after choosing an avatar name, that is. the gp2x sources have some button-based text input i think. need to look at that.

exult should be great on the n8x0, just needs work. it's on the uh. top half of my list

Thanks Arnims, I'll try it on my N810 later. I suppose the N810's keyboard will be handy for typing in the character name/saves. I have both Black Gate and Serpent's (the Collection CD) so I'll be one happy Avatar if this works - and thanks a lot for your work!

Bundyo: I was referring to the first part of the instructions which is "1) Install gstreamer-tools from the Maemo repository.". That package is not available on the OS2008 repositories as far as I can find. That's all.

I didn't need such package, i guess it is installed with OS2008.

I'm actually not having much luck with this...I downloaded the files to the appropriate directories but when I try to run "/home/user/exult", I get this error:

home/user/exult: error while loading shared libraries: libXau.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks.

Last edited by BatPenguin; 2008-01-24 at 20:05.

apt-get install libxau6