Active Topics

Notices

Yeah, now it works for me, too. Great!

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Suriname
Originally Posted by dh3x View Post
ok I solved my problem. Uninstalling didn't remove the "flashlight-extra" from /etc/event.d and /etc/init.d

I manually deleted it and rebooted. Back to normal.
Thank you
Yes it helped me to clear the issue. I am back between 8-12 % CPU usage.
xorg is using the most in idle postion average 6%

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Can anyone help me with uninstalling this and removing the remaining files? I don't get what I am supposed to write in x_term to solve the problem with the CPU leakage. Yes I have rootsh installed and get root access. Then what? Thank you in advance for any help! (official thanks's will be handed out later )

For any new readers: There is a problem with the app that makes the device eat CPU. Do not install unless you intend to try and fix the problem!

Last edited by eMiL; 2010-09-21 at 17:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to eMiL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
In terminal, type:

cd /etc/event.d

Then as root, type:

rm flashlight-extra

Then do the same thing for /etc/init.d:

cd /etc/init.d

(as root) rm flashlight-extra

- Note -

I did not use this app on my N900. I use another similar one (camera lens launcher) - but based on the post a few posts above yours, this is what it sounds like you have to do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
use filebox to remove files in /etc folder. it has root access...

The Following User Says Thank You to bertolt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
In terminal, type:

cd /etc/event.d

Then as root, type:

rm flashlight-extra

cd /etc/init.d

- Note -

I did not use this app on my N900. I use another similar one (camera lens launcher) - but based on the post a few posts above yours, this is what it sounds like you have to do.
hi, what are the features of cl launcher? sorry but cant find details on app manager.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
In terminal, type:

cd /etc/event.d

Then as root, type:

rm flashlight-extra

cd /etc/init.d

- Note -

THIS is why I love the N900 and this community! Thank you a 1000 times! I'm back down to 0-3% idle cpu again and my N900 feels like it's brand new Again, a huge thank you to you mr. Mentalist Traceur

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
eMiL: Glad I could help.

bertolt: cl-launcher does basically what this does, but it's more configurable. I'm not sure how stable it is, or how perfectly it works (still reinstalling stuff here-and-there on a daily basis since my reflash a week ago, so I haven't gotten around to testing it too much), though.

In short, it puts a menu in your Settings menu, under the Extras category (which you may or may not have yet; it's where other community apps like shortcutd and Wi-Fi Signal Applet put their stuff in the settings; Black Plastic Theme puts it's settings into the Personalization category, but that's the only one I know that does that). If you want I'll post a screenshot later of where exactly I'm talking about, but basically, if you decide to install it, you go into settings, scroll down, and it'll be at the bottom, called "Camera Lens Launcher".

This has three options you can configure when you click on it:
1. "Opening the lens cover will" (has three options; launch preferred application, show application selector menu, and do nothing). By default this is set to launch preferred application, but when I installed this yesterday morning, opening the lens cover didn't do anything after installation to begin with. Like I said though, I haven't tested it much.
2. "Prefered Application" (this lets you set the application that gets used if you use the first option in the above). By default it was set to camera. As I understand it based on what shows up in my list when I click on this, you can pretty much launch anything your N900 has on it.
3. "Application selector pop-up window" (Lets you change what programs are on the option that pops up if you set the first option to show the application selector menu) Has the same list as the preferred application one when you click on it, but instead of selecting just one, you can select however many you want (might be some limit, not sure). By default set to App. Manager, Camera, Flashlight.

I see this as being more versatile than the application for this thread.

On the other hand, I feel kinda dickish talking about another application on this one's thread. To be fair, I don't know if one does this job better than the other. And it's ultimately a matter of who keeps developing theirs. Colloboration would be great too. That said, I want to be clear that I still appreciate the work put into making this app by the OP.

That said, if he sorts out the CPU issue, this app will be just fine for people who only open the camera lens with the desire for a choice between camera and flashlight. I like being able to open the camera lens without necessarily needing to make a choice before being able to continue using whatever else I had running by then, which is why I prefer cl-launcher to flashlight-extra, but to each their own.

Meanwhile, cl-launcher does get actively developed near as I can see - the developed just posted in this thread a few days ago in response to some bugs people reported with it, and updated it shortly there-after. (I THINK he's also the same dev that made the Flashlight app in the first place...)

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
mentalist,
thanks a lot! that was more than i asked for!

i found the cl-launcher causes a reboot loop if u uninstall it then shut down.

The Following User Says Thank You to kazuki For This Useful Post: