Active Topics

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
I'd like Jaaksi for the job.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
This may mean also, that Olep will cancel Meego-plans and tries to get Windows7 to high end phones. Or, Microsoft will buy Nokia.

Oh well, hopefully Intel starts to make Meego-phones then. I couldn't care less of Nokia phones if they will run Windows.

All the companies Elop has been working lately are not known for their open source policies. Maybe that is what american stock holdrers want, Microsoft-Nokia.

Let's see who leaves next.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
This may mean also, that Olep will cancel Meego-plans and tries to get Windows7 to high end phones. Or, Microsoft will buy Nokia.
According to Finnish business magazine Kauppalehti some analysts are speculating just that, saying "both companies have similar problems that could be solved by a fusion".

In my view, while Windows Phone 7 is surprisingly innovative and interesting, MeeGo is still too good opportunity to pass for Nokia. It has the potential to be a much better Android than Android

Better performance, more open development model, wider range of toolkits that can be used, available for more different kinds of devices (from phones to tablets, TVs and cars)...

Last edited by bergie; 2010-09-13 at 09:46.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
I'm just wondering about the timing. The Nokia World starts tomorrow. The announcement of replacing OPK could have easily been delayed until after the Nokia World. However they decided to "kick off the boss just before the big show". What could be the reasoning behind this?

These two incidents are so close, that there's no way this was a coincidence.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naranek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
I guess being considered for CEO post twice and getting passed on both times was enough.

EDIT:He was pretty much the only one among the old guard who I wanted to stay. Good bye mister Nokia-tune and world record holder on a single speeding ticket fine (120 000 euros).

Kaikkea parasta Anssille tulevaisuudessa, missä sitten lienetkään.Jääpä ainakin enemmän aikaa sille vapaaehtoisuuden musertavalle voimalle.

Last edited by Rauha; 2010-09-13 at 10:55.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Anssi leaving absolutely sucks. I would have probably done the same thing in his position. Mr. "The fight back starts now" is no more.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Naranek View Post
These two incidents are so close, that there's no way this was a coincidence.
Same thoughts... from my outsider perspective, this doesn't look good at all.

I wonder who will step up now and be as vocal and visible as Anssi Vanjoki.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Very sad to see Vanjoki leaving. I was really waiting forward to see what he would he be able to do in his new position. I consider him to have always been the one who gets the wow effect in high end from the old Nokia execs.
Plus he have always been more open to talk what he truly wants to see from Nokia rather than the normal corpotate talk. Like example being the first one to admit(and only one) from Nokia that N97 was a failiure even as it sold in millions and that the current Nokia's hw platforms are too old.

I can only hope somebody who knows what he's is doing gets that very important spot that Vanjoki left.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
The timing couldn't be better. If they had waited for after Nokia World, that would be hypocritical.

The event is interesting per se because it's a time when people get to know what are the company's plans. Even people inside the company probably get to understand better where they should be heading. Having important management changes like this only makes it more interesting.

They changed the CEO and Anssi decided to leave. Now everybody is saying "OMG does that mean they are going to replace everything with Windows Phone 7???" What better time to answer this question than at Nokia World?

Imagine the opposite. They have a "normal" Nokia World, and then after that they make the changes. It would be much harder to control all speculations, they would do much more damage. Right now, it's all they wanted: gathering more attention to the event. They will end the event with a stabilished CEO and a digested replacement to Anssi. All that will be old news after Nokia World. Otherwise, the even would soon become irrelevant, and they would be "bleeding" the despair of these changes for a long time, e.g. with people saying "Nokia doesn't know what they are doing". Nokia World is the moment they show (or at least say) they do.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to nwerneck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by nwerneck View Post
They changed the CEO and Anssi decided to leave. Now everybody is saying "OMG does that mean they are going to replace everything with Windows Phone 7???"
Of course Nokia will go WP7. That was made perfectly clear as soon as Elop was hired and again when at his news conference neither he or any Nokia wag would voice support for MeeGo when asked.

For more reasons why this is a virtual lock check out my comments in a few posts near the end of the CEO resigns thread. I'd bet my house that MeeGo, in regards to Nokia, is a dead deal. Which means my first Nokia will be my last.

Hopefully other companies will pick up MeeGo where Nokia left off and produce some nice MeeGo devices. Otherwise, I don't know what I'm gonna do when I'm forced to retire the terrific N900 I'm typing this on. Apple, Android, Symbian and WP7 are not possibilities.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2010-09-13 at 14:06.