Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
True enough, to the last posts, but--the question is how to convince people that it's a computer and not just another smart phone, right? I personally feel that this might be a fruitless endeavor considering the points I'd made.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
In order to convince people you really need to take into consideration that N900 is also a phone. Here is how I did it:

Dude:"Your phone is ****ing huge"
Me:"It is a tablet PC"
Dude:"Man, its screen is ****ing small"
Me:"Because it is a phone"
"....."

See how it works? Usually that convince them.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
True enough, to the last posts, but--the question is how to convince people that it's a computer and not just another smart phone, right? I personally feel that this might be a fruitless endeavor considering the points I'd made.
Yeah, it isn't very useful since market(ing) decides these names.

An iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S isn't a smartphone either.

The Nokia N900 provides some unique features in regards to peripheral: VGA output, FM transmitter, full BlueTooth stack (with a little of tweaking), and... no USB-OTG. None of these features requires 3G. For some people that means the device is a lot more valuable, for many others its just a gimmick.

Other smartphones such as earlier mentioned competitors do also have their own, unique features. If you take the gyroscope from iPhone 4 for example -- that just makes navigation more accurate, easier, more user friendly. However, navigation is seen as a feature of a smartphone, and good navigation simply makes a good smartphone better.

In the end, none of above features are part of the definition of 'smartphone'... which is why this is all rather pointless...

The public perception of what defines a smartphone also differs per market, and for sure the feature set is getting bigger and bigger as the publics' demands rise.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
In order to convince people you really need to take into consideration that N900 is also a phone. Here is how I did it:

"....."

Reminds me about this commercial about a customer in a grocery store asking an employee where the mustard is residing. He answers "near the pickles." to which the customer asks: "where are the pickles to be found?" to which the grocery store employee answers: "near the mustard."

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Reminds me about this commercial about a customer in a grocery store asking an employee where the mustard is residing. He answers "near the pickles." to which the customer asks: "where are the pickles to be found?" to which the grocery store employee answers: "near the mustard."
LOL!!! and my all time favourite
A: "Why is it so hot??"
B: "Because it's not cold!"
A: "Why is it not cold??"
B: "Because it's so hot!"

doh!

seriously, why would you need to convince other people that it's a mobile computer? you bought it because you know it is. people who didn't probably don't care or have stronger alignment with another device.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post

"....."

This made me laugh way too loudly.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
It's too smart to be a smartphone...

But seriously.. the real actual reason it's more of a mobile computer than a smartphone is the similarity with other Debian based OSes. No other platform has such similarity with a desktop OS.

Just create an issue with your phone. Then search for a solution to that issue for let's say..Ubuntu. It will 99% solve your issue too. Porting apps to Maemo from Ubuntu would be very simple since they're so similar. The problem is that desktop use x86 architecure CPU and the N900 uses ARM. If they both used the same type of CPU, we'd see a lot more desktop apps here.
Fail.

1. You've conceded that it's a phone.
2. Why would one create an issue for themself?
3. No normal and sane person would care about such technical explanation anyway.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Compile application on it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
show them the awesome x-terminal app, they might ask why is a CMD or command prompt on such a bulky and heavy mobile device.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Last edited by gabby131; 2010-09-15 at 01:37.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Or.. Android...
install ssh server, install some fancy camera apps, photo editing software... all without rooting. Plus, if you DO want to root it, you can also install debian and customize the HELL out of your handset. ANYTHING can stream web radio--not sure why you put that in there. FM is kinda chinzy, I'll stick to using Bluetooth (hell, I'd rather use a line-in jack), thanks. HDMI out is a little bit nicer, no?

PLUS... Can you do this?

Instant heart rate monitor
Metal Detector
Google Earth, Google Maps, Google Navigator, Google Translate, Google Voice Search, Google Sky Map, etc.

I know I can. You might be able to too. I know my Droid is only just a phone, not really a computer--Just saying, pointing out that you can run a bunch of applications or services, like a desktop computer, doesn't mean or even illustrate that it's not a cell phone.
I thought this thread was about the n900 O_o....and seriously, does android pay you to be here? Cause I could care less about anything android has to offer... >_>

The Following User Says Thank You to SavageD For This Useful Post:

Tags
derp-derp, snl-shimmer