Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Which is why I said being open was irrelevant, but not mutually exclusive with the end user experience. It is not a selling point to the vast majority of users.
It means a lot when I see a lot of talk about "closed" this, or "limited that" based on how Maemo and the upcoming MeeGo is more open than the "walled garden" Apple and (now) Microsoft is purporting is the way to go. Look back at this thread. The talk against WP7 is mainly because it's not as open as Maemo/MeeGo. That is the only reason I brought it up.

It is relevant simply because folks think that open is going to sell right now: it hasn't. Thus... if you don't like WP7, dislike it for other reasons that actually are relevant and to be factored in... openness ain't one of them (yet).

The way you reiterate this point makes it sound like being wide open is bad.
Not bad at all. It's yet to be fully grabbed by the general population... the same general population that's been mentioned quite a few times in this thread as being boring, staid, non-savvy, et al.

Let's face it... even today, the most mediocre software is grasped by more people than the fully refined or the most open software for the most part in most consumer situations.

Windows, iOS... two mediocre standards that have somehow become the models to aspire to? Meh.

I'd rather take freedom, extensibility and the ability to bring to the table/community my (sometimes lack of) talents instead of hoping that the company might fix or heed my needs and grievances.

But... it just ain't happening yet. Something's gotta be missing. I still say its applications (for the lazy).

Certainly. However if you are Microsoft then open is your enemy. I'm not too worried about MS in the market, however, as the competition is fierce. I only shudder at the thought of our only choices being locked down Android devices, iOS devices, and WP7 devices.
At the moment, the fact that iOS, Android are still gaining a bit of market share in some markets as opposed to the open devices... that says something...

Last edited by gerbick; 2010-10-12 at 04:10. Reason: Didn't properly close a tag... oops.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It is relevant simply because folks think that open is going to sell right now: it hasn't. Thus... if you don't like WP7, dislike it for other reasons that actually are relevant and to be factored in... openness ain't one of them (yet).
Well, yeah. This place is crawling with people for whom openness is generally important. It's not a selling point to the masses.

Windows, iOS... two mediocre standards that have somehow become the models to aspire to? Meh.
Indeed, but it's just another case of "good" beating out "great".

I'd rather take freedom, extensibility and the ability to bring to the table/community my (sometimes lack of) talents instead of hoping that the company might fix or heed my needs and grievances.
Indeed, which is why you and many people give Nokia well earned sh*t. Sometimes a little overly pessimistic imo...

At the moment, the fact that iOS, Android are still gaining a bit of market share in some markets as opposed to the open devices... that says [i]something[/b]...
There... aren't any? And sadly, I suspect Nokia will be the only vendor to place nice for a while going forward. But so long as I can get the binary blobs for the driver bits and the source code to the entire OS beyond them and install it, I'll deal with bad customer service.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
They all look ugly to me

Dont know why ASUS didnt showed their bay cuz that one is the best looking out there with brushed aluminum and sexy design

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/09/a...s-up-on-video/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/06/a...s-in-the-wild/

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ California, United States
So....getting an Windows 7 phone is a no go? The OS looks really nice (I don't have Xbox live though but thats a good add on). So maybe I should wait for MeeGo. The N900 is starting to bore me even though it's great, but I just want something new and more powerful with a bunch of apps which I doubt MeeGo will have many of.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Well no why not?, the OS is great but its not for me and still its not a true mobile OS , I'm waiting for MeeGo to deliver that. W7 is just another fancy looking generic OS to me , nothing to be excited....

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
I used to find the old Windows mobile more interesting than Android, even though Android is 10x more flashy and streamlined. With this new one they have taken away everything interesting, and made it a bore to even look at. DOA, that's my verdict.

I don't understand why manufacturers will pay $15 for each license, when the same money can be used to get a better processor or, or a better camera, more RAM, better screen and so on - and - run Android. WinMo7 simply cannot be that much better. Again DOA.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by Bondage Monkey View Post
So....getting an Windows 7 phone is a no go? The OS looks really nice.
Nice? this has to be the ugliest OS since this one:

What? You can colour the big squares in that fancy wp7 OS? I'll just stick to something like this:

Last edited by blipnl; 2010-10-13 at 10:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to blipnl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Michigan, USA
lol, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, personally I like Windows Phone 7's clean, subdued text centric UI than most of the customizations I see here. What's with that messed up aspect ratio guitar, and why does it symbolize menu?

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
It is always interesting to follow new mobile OSs but my interest in WinPhone 7 has waned somewhat by this description of memory management including SD usage according to Microsoft,

"Windows Phone uses a special high–performance SD card that works differently than SD cards in other devices. When your phone is built and first set up, its internal storage and SD card are combined and recognized as one storage system. You should not remove the SD card in your phone or replace it with a new one because your Windows Phone won’t work properly. Existing data on the phone may be lost, and that SD card can’t be used in other devices or Windows"

Isn't the whole point of having removable expandable storage is that it is just that, removable and expandable. OK so there seems to be a hard reset workaround of sorts but really?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Considering most of whe WP7 devices out there have 'very little' internal storage compared to the N900, I'd day expandable storage via micro-SD is a must. Seeing some WP7 devices that have no option to expand memory, it saddens me to hear even those capable of expanding storage won't do what you'd expect from it.

@fwrnando, it's not my home screen, but it shows the UI's flexibility IMO

Tags
bestthreadever, fanboys unite, loser tech