Active Topics

Having corresponded with Andre it seems that you can not disable account. You can change the email address to something else which should work in removing the address of any accounts you care about from the web - which is all I actually wanted.

Not perfect by any means but it's all we have for now.

Thanks Andre.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wizbowes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by zero2007 View Post
Even if you add a username to your account your email address is still displayed in the CC list as well as every who has posted to the bug
Had i know of this i would have never reported a bug
And the problem with the described behaviour is.......?

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
But some people do care. People like the OP (and a lot of my close friends) like to preserve their privacy rights.
Better to avoid any mailing list then, as it uses.... email. :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
But it is typically not possible for a mailing list user to see all of the members of a list, as mail messages only go to the mailing list address.

I am a bit disturbed by the somewhat flippant responses to this privacy issue. It reminds me of Google's attitude: http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/12...misses-privacy Just because you don't think that this isn't important doesn't mean that you should dismiss those who think that it is.

I would like to understand why maemo think that they can ignore the DPD, just because it is an upstream bug. The server administrators might want to consider who is responsible for the maemo.org servers and the legal implications thereof. I think you are sorely mistaken if you think that "it's an upstream bug" will hold up in court.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tnhh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
btw does the bugzilla account creation state that the email wont be shown to anyone?
Good question. I think the info should be clearly disclosed during account creation.

And FYI-- I'm not being flippant at all about this. I do understand and agree with privacy concerns in general. But incertain instances we decide where we want privacy and where we don't mind info shared. In the context of bug reporting, why would we want anonymity from participants? That's not a rhetorical question; I'm genuinely curious.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-03-08 at 20:31.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Good question. I think the info should be clearly disclosed during acciunt creation.

And FYI-- I'm not being flippant at all about this. I do understand and agree with privacy concerns in general. But incertain instances we decide where we want privacy and where we don't mind info shared. In the context of bug reporting, why would we want anonymity from participants? That's not a rhetorical question; I'm genuinely curious.
I should clarify that I am not that bothered about privacy on maemo.org - I use the same username here as I do on several other sites and it is trivial for people to find out my real-world identity. Off the top of my head I can't think of any situations where you might want to hide the submitter's e-mail address, but at the same time I think it is not right that the e-mail address is made public without warning. You can easily imagine that someone might want to set up a throwaway e-mail account for reporting bugs if they knew that this setup was in effect.

But the revelation of e-mail addresses is really a side issue. The real problem for me is the inability to delete accounts, as this is a legal requirement and other websites (specifically Facebook) have got into trouble over this.

The Following User Says Thank You to tnhh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Good question. I think the info should be clearly disclosed during acciunt creation.

I think the issue is that you can not specify a username to show in lieu of the email address. I know there are some bugs with quite a few comments. I wouldn't necessarily want everyone that comments on the bug (or just views it while logged in) to see my email. If more info is required the administrators can contact me for more info. Assuming that for some reason I commented, but aren't following the bug.

I don't think anyone here would like their email address to be shown to anyone logged in to the forum. Does your email address show to all logged in on wiki pages?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I think the issue is that you can not specify a username to show in lieu of the email address. I know there are some bugs with quite a few comments. I wouldn't necessarily want everyone that comments on the bug (or just views it while logged in) to see my email. If more info is required the administrators can contact me for more info. Assuming that for some reason I commented, but aren't following the bug.
Then it's probably best that you cease your participation on bugs.maemo.org.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
What a horrible "official" response to this issue from Nokia. Yes it's an official response because you represent Nokia as an employee.
Discouraging others from participating in debugging your buggy software just because they have privacy issues?? Tisk tisk..

Note: I do not have a problem with the way it is now, but others do, and I understand the problem they have with it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to craftyguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
craftyguy, note the emoticon after Andre's statement.

What a horrible world we're in if wry humor is now considered... horrible.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: