Active Topics

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by aikon800 View Post
I don't know why anybody even thinks of Harmattan is any different then Meego, I mean Nokia said it by themselves that the next OS after Maemo 5 (the one you see on your N900) is going to be Meego.

Before that we knew that there will be Maemo 6 ( aka Harmattan ) but after the Nokia and Intel collision, its clear that what ever Nokia was working on the Harmattan will be blended with Moblin resulting in Meego. Simple
People tend to call it Meego-Harmattan because it is a sort of hybrid. Nokia has referred to it as a "meego instance" or a Maemo/Meego hybrid. I think one aspect of this is it used debs (Maemo) rather than rpms (Meego). I think it was meant to be a transition release for developers but also because the wheels at Nokia couldn't shift focus quickly enough and that they wanted something out sooner than later.

I wonder if there will come a time when the differences between Meego-Harmattan, generic Meego, and Nokia's version of Meego will not cause confusion.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Here is my prediction

They will release N900-01 with Meego Harmatten at the meego conference. This software will be available as PR2.0 it will contain Qt 4.7.1, flash, new sgx driver.

It will Extend the life of the N900 until Q2 2011 when we will see the N9 with proper Meego. This device will be announced at mobile world congress, it will be based on Meego 1.2.

This to me makes much more sense than a half meego device which would be have been viewed as step 6 of 7.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
... which is what we heared before on the net. it's a real pity. they're running in all directions and never arrive anywhere.
Its a tech company and business decisions are ruining the tech decisions that are not taking precedence. I just wish among the amulgum of events happening within company, clear direction is taken where Nokia wants to head as far as Maemo + Meego is concerned. Rest assured my say can't change the direction they will eventually go, helpless words are all i have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywHgqPQNonc (fake maybe)
Nokia Meego is not coming to N900 officially which might eventually get ported in say an years time from now. They have to stop generic port and go down actual work towards porting Nokia Meego OS even if some features won't work just like iOS did with older generation units. That will please the customers even if they have to wait till early 2011. A generic half-baked port will start new threads of millions of questions, blames and result will be waiting for newer updates (hoping) to get bugs fixed, UI improved and so on. Nokia needs to put in a lot of work on Meego OS, call on the conference do the demo and show people and media how great Meego OS is and be it available that moment on for public. This way they can not only redeem themselves but prove to media that Meego OS is the future.

Last edited by niqbal; 2010-10-21 at 14:17.

Originally Posted by epage View Post
I wonder if there will come a time when the differences between Meego-Harmattan, generic Meego, and Nokia's version of Meego will not cause confusion.
Benny said it right, different paths which need to merge so no confusion in the minds of media/public/devs and eventually customers.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
They will release N900-01 with Meego Harmatten at the meego conference. This software will be available as PR2.0 it will contain Qt 4.7.1, flash, new sgx driver.

It will Extend the life of the N900 until Q2 2011 when we will see the N9 with proper Meego. This device will be announced at mobile world congress, it will be based on Meego 1.2.
So, are you predicting this N900-01 will be a hardware revision that includes a multitouch, capacitive display? Or have Nokia been working frantically to retreat a bit from that Harmattan design goal in order to better accommodate the N900's resistive screen?

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
@aikon00 nokia still planned to release a Harmattan product before moving to MeeGo proper.
Really ?? Was this official, a Maemo 6 device before a Meego device. I don't think that's the case. The step 6 which comes out of 5 (Maemo 5, N900) will be Meego.
If there was a official reference to this please state it here then

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Here is my prediction

Having something that's based on the original Harmattan-project available for the N900 is very unlikely: Harmattan, as far as I know, was developed with a multitouch-capable device in mind. They said in the past they wouldn't sacrifice this for compatibility with the N900.

It might be that they changed their plans with regard to the naming scheme, of course. Present a N900-1 (or N9 or whatever) whith Harmattan called "Maemo 6"... OK, I'm dreaming... I still try to find some kind of reason in this whole mess. I mean - this used to be a properly layed out timeline, explained to developers a hundred times, with promised milestones...

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by aikon800 View Post
Really ?? Was this official, a Maemo 6 device before a Meego device. I don't think that's the case. The step 6 which comes out of 5 (Maemo 5, N900) will be Meego.
If there was a official reference to this please state it here then
Yes. This was official ever since MeeGo was first announced. You must have missed a lot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I mean - this used to be a properly layed out timeline, explained to developers a hundred times, with promised milestones...
You should know by now that Nokia's routing technology for Maemo is a bit underdeveloped.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
So, are you predicting this N900-01 will be a hardware revision that includes a multitouch, capacitive display? Or have Nokia been working frantically to retreat a bit from that Harmattan design goal in order to better accommodate the N900's resistive screen?
The multi-touch statement was some bollocks excuse. Its only ever used for pinch to zoom and the only place we had the equiv swirly zoom on the n900 was in the browser. Small swap out of input methods if you ask me.

My prediction is the N900-01 is what you have in your hands with a new software build.

So yes some retreat back to it being only an N900 release. It will at least give them a solid dev platform ahead of the N9, instead of the meego1.1 which is still clearly unusable.

Tags
douchebaggery, from kureyon