Active Topics

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
I'd put money on the problem with the freezing 3 times a day is related to overclocking.
How much money would you put on my crashing or freezing three times a day? I'm overclocking 900 900.

Do you need an address where to send the money? Because I'm not crashing or freezing.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Have read somewhere keep a low minimum as it saves battery when screen is locked. But I have also read better to have same maximum and minimum as having a different minimum causes the device to jump around and possibly be less stable due to having to work different frequencies.
When screen is locked and off, CPU goes into a sleep / idle state. (=0Mhz) (Unless you have video/music/Sygic etc running still) I've been using mine locked at 1GHz for both minimum and maximum for past few weeks. Zero issues so far and feels more responsive than 500min 1000max which I was using before.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ void
Just want to add my 2 cents: how your N900 performs largely depends on what is run, how it is tuned, and how you optimize the system havig unsatifactory factory settings by Nokia.

In my case the most frequent and prominent lagging happens when running several brower windows, terminal sessions, AND that wtf HAM.

Other than that,
Mine runs nicely, though not *perfectly*, contant@1GHz having 7 or 8 windows opened, including games.
IMHO lagging happens because of various factors. One simple way to catch the naughty app is by looking at the CPU & RAM usage. Conky, applets, (h)top, etc. will give you a clear view.
I am thinking of some really bad guys and what I do about them:
- HAM: n times slower than FAM. (Almost) hang up even when installing just one small app. Takes ages to refresh and installing, regardless how fast you OC and without running any other applications. It is a real piece of crap, even worse than the app manager in windows mobile.
Remedy: Use FAM, or even better and faster just apt-get (which I do 90% of the time). And like others have said. Send the update checking task to oblivion.
- Tracker: uses a lot of resources when desktop starts up.
Remedy: tracker-cfg
- Various daemons: some may install and run "secretly" without being noticed after installing certain apps.
Remedy: ps or whatever to find them out. Kill them and remove those packages if possible
- Frequency: after OC I don't think I would go back to the default setting that sucks.
Remedy: OC w/ some tuned presets, e.g. those from Queen Beecon Widgets
- Swapping
Remedy use Swappolube or BoostN900.
- Crowded and slow desktops: it's an overkill to have many widgets working busily (updating, etc.) on the desktops.
Remedy: Use only those widgets you really need, use less fancy decorations, use Matan's modified-hildon-desktop, etc..

This phone, just like all others, inevitably leaves something to be desired.
The nicest thing about this phone is we have very frequent releases of new fixes, new kernels, new modified apps and even new alternative OSs and booting methods.
The wiki has MANY more tricks and goodies to improve the user experience, e.g.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Customizing_Maemo
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Joerg_rw/tools
http://wiki.maemo.org/Remapping_keyboard
etc. etc.

Last but not least, being able to run full scale distros like Debian well indicates that the phone is not crap compared to other not-so-smartphones.

Last edited by 009N; 2010-12-04 at 11:11. Reason: typos

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 009N For This Useful Post:
I think this phone would be a hell of a lot better if Nokia just released better-than-mediocre video drivers. VSync on the graphics layer (hildon), and graphics acceleration on the graphics layer (again, hildon) would be kinda nice - like my first generation iPod Touch for instance. I've done all of these mods countless times and they help, but performance is still mediocre. To think this used to be my linux dream phone. It's just not worth the performance trade off for the features.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
How much money would you put on my crashing or freezing three times a day? I'm overclocking 900 900.

Do you need an address where to send the money? Because I'm not crashing or freezing.
Errr yeah... it was a figure of speech. Other than that I don't understand what you're trying to say.

I have mine OC'd @ 950 and I have never seen any lags. I have all sorts of transition mods and customizations but never has it lagged. I run IM+SIP, multiple browser windows, music, at times connected via RDesktop to work but nothing more. It works flawlessly. I'd say you have to adapt to your device.

Seriously, I would pay $100 for an extra 256MB of RAM if there was such an hardware upgrade option. I reckon that would make a big difference to the overall feel. eg. when having multiple MicroB windows open etc.

Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
I think this phone would be a hell of a lot better if Nokia just released better-than-mediocre video drivers.
If it were that simple I'm sure it would have been done already. I hear the PowerVR drivers are generally terrible anyway.

VSync on the graphics layer (hildon), and graphics acceleration on the graphics layer (again, hildon) would be kinda nice - like my first generation iPod Touch for instance.
Again, if it were that simple it would have been done. Compositing is a huge pain and, IIRC, vsync is a problem even on desktop Linux.

It's just not worth the performance trade off for the features.
Funny, graphics have never been a source of slowdown for me. It's almost always disk activity or heavy cpu usage by something. All of which has improved in PR1.3. That and fancy graphics were only a "nice to have" for me, or I would have bought an iPhone

@geneven
All problems on overclocked devices are suspect. I'd ignore anything reported as a bug unless it was confirmed to occur at stock clock.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Okay since yesterday evening I have deleted all my widgets apart from yellow notes applet and touch search. I have not overclocked as I have deleted my QB widgets (and can't be bothered to search for the xterm code). Since then my device has been working a million times better. Still get those horrible grid lines when scrolling in browser but at least device is usable. Unlike before when it was constantly freezing. Sure when I oveclock it will be even better.

Downside is I now have 9 bare desktops. Not much point having opportunity to have up to 9 homescreens if all you can have on them is shortcuts. Might as well have an iphone 4 in that case. Just kidding before any iphone burning folk attack me.

So how do I work out which widgets are troublesome and which are fine? Other than the rather slow process of putting them back one by one and trying the device with the new widget for a day or so.

I did not have any widgets that update from the internet so that was not the issue. I think someone said avoid python widgets but how can I tell if a widget is pyhton? Could not find that information in the widget details nor by searching (just tons of results about creating python widgets, etc).

So any tips on which widgets are safe? Presumably QBW is safe right? No matter how many you have. I had about 40 beecons on my desktops. So is calemdar home widget right? I had a clock on every desktop and 5 different ones on one desktop (for different timezones). Could that be evil?

What of the photo widgets (photo frame and photo applet)? Do not think they were problem on my device though because I deleted them and I still could not use the device.

I have today posted an article with compilation of some of the known tweaks for the N900. Check my sig for the link!

btw, if there's something I didn't list but is worth mentioning, definitely let me know as I wanna know about it even for my own N900.

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-12-05 at 10:28.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:

Tags
never smooth, turn it up, whining, worstthreadever