Active Topics

Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
Ha, MeeGo doesn't have a chance commercially. We should be able to buy MeeGo devices right now, like it was originally planned. Two huge monster companies, industry leaders, and they can't take Linux and develop a portable OS out of it on time? That's sad. They started MeeGo back in, what, February? Develop drivers, develop a UI, write sms and phone applications, deploy. Shouldn't be too hard for these two giants.
Hrm writing totally new OS and Nokia developing totally different UI on the side is far from 1 year project. Not to even talk about Qt that's much of Nokia's work after they bought Trolltech in 2008.

Actually only reason why there's a change of somehow getting new OS that's a actually in a working condition is Nokia's Harmattan that was announced in 2007. Think about IOS or Android and how much they have been able to contribute to the UI and new functions in 3-4 years.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I just say: wait for mobile world congress.
There will be lot of interesting MeeGo stuff.
And remember: one of the main key selling points of MeeGo over iOS is the full internet experience.
I wish everyone would be less dramatic over here. Your life doesn't depend on MeeGo, Intel or Nokia.

edit: and I mean A LOT. THE BIG SHOW.

edit2: maybe he talks about the MeeGo image from meego.com? The reference UI won't have customizeable homescreens and Adobe flash is proprietary software, so not included in that image..

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2010-12-24 at 00:45.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
Cool.

Now imagine that you have a website where you post your own videos / short films, whatever.
Explain to me how will you protect your content from being stolen from you with HTML5.
The ONLY way to "protect your content from being stolen" is to never publish it anywhere, Especially never put it on the internet. Such "protections" have never stopped pirates, and they never will. They do, however, annoy and frustrate your legit content consumers. DRM always fails. Period.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I personally don't care about Flash. Looking forward to watching it die, preferably along with all the other bloated, crappy Adobe software products.
every body uses it though? like microsoft. I have my issues with them but they are so huge.. business wise.. and dor residential use i mean, u gotta go with it or make something better. I would invest in it! ofcourse if i can get some stock options that is.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andraeseus1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by preflex View Post
The ONLY way to "protect your content from being stolen" is to never publish it anywhere, Especially never put it on the internet. Such "protections" have never stopped pirates, and they never will. They do, however, annoy and frustrate your legit content consumers. DRM always fails. Period.
Thank you for saying exactly what I said before.
If you know what you're doing NOTHING is 100% secure.
Someone will always find a way to copy your content.

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
I just say: wait for mobile world congress.
There will be lot of interesting MeeGo stuff.
And remember: one of the main key selling points of MeeGo over iOS is the full internet experience.
I wish everyone would be less dramatic over here. Your life doesn't depend on MeeGo, Intel or Nokia.

edit: and I mean A LOT. THE BIG SHOW.

edit2: maybe he talks about the MeeGo image from meego.com? The reference UI won't have customizeable homescreens and Adobe flash is proprietary software, so not included in that image..
I totally agree with you. All these doomsayers really irritate me. Firstly, the last time I used MeeGo on my N900 (which by the way IS the development platform for those *****s that are claiming there isn't even development hardware) and while it was slow and buggy, it was also the pre-1.1 image. I haven't tested the 1.1 image at all yet.

Realistically, Nokia is making Qt a really awesome SDK, because, let's face it, MeeGo without a good development kit is going to suck. Granted it is much more open and more like a regular Linux distribution than Android is and so all the Linux development tools are already available for it. But the Qt SDK makes it awesome and easy to make applications that run on both Symbian and MeeGo/Maemo.

The hardest part really that the MeeGo backers have will be to make a 'fluffy' UI for the masses of people.

Think about how long it took (is taking) for KDE 4.x to be usable, and that's with a lot of the UI design from 3.x still there!

Not to mention MeeGo is aimed towards tablets, netbooks and Smartphones. iOS was improved over many years and only recently made it to the iPad. Android, from what I've read isn't very comfortable to use on a tablet.

slaapliedje

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
I so fck**** need flash!.. that's it! no flash,no n9 for me.. -.-

Shame, Nokia is repeating history again. I buy Nokia to not have an iPhone like experience.

Nokia's failing was not hardware nor OS ... but rather a short term focus on anything they did. As one poster put it, you can bet what is the norm for one device is a non-starter in the next. Continuity is important when people are dropping more than $400USD on a phone.

Frustrating thing is a MeeGo or a Maemo phone should of been ready by now. They should of created a phone with a minimum spec that fulfills MeeGo requirements and then gone on the record to update it to MeeGo once complete and release it now with an interim Maemo OS which would of kept the attention on Maemo OS going a bit longer and give us a potential PR1.4 or PR1.5 down the line. Now people have a DOA N900 which has no future, might not even get a PR1.4 seeing how I'm having more connectivity bugs now with PR1.3. Also MeeGo doesn't have a reference destination, also the specs on the N900 are being worn out ... mine even has a broken headphone OP-Amp which Nokia techs are too stupid to find under warranty and it is costing me in sending it to them all the time. Christmas and people want to trade up the phone and Nokia has no alternative ... and no the N8 or E7 are not alternatives to the N900. This is leaving Android as the only option especially now with Gingerbread supporting SIP natively just as the N900 did ... come on Nokia step up don't copy.

The Following User Says Thank You to MoJo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I don't need a replacement, except for embedded video, and HTML5 suits me fine for that purpose.
Good luck on making that HTML5 query a db... or be secure.

I'm sure by 2022 when HTML5 finally is a standard, Flash will be long dead and gone and MPEG-LA will be raking in the dough due to licensing.

Same licensing that Mozilla has not succumbed to directly since it's 5 million bucks for them to pay.

HTML5 video is a great thing. But let's be honest, HTML5 isn't ready for primetime in no stretch of the imagination yet. So far, the absolute best HTML5 demos have been more jQuery than HTML5. Canvas is a beast to deal with, in terms of animation or control.

Sad you equate Flash to just online videos... or worse, ads. Or that you equate HTML5 to just embedded videos... or worse, a full featured solution.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
that was what i thought too. - but then, he talks about dali, not about meego. so... still not sure what to think of it. the only thing i know for sure is that if there's one company on the planet that could possibly ruin meego at this stage by bad management decisions, it's nokia.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:

Tags
die flash die, fock flash, its just a myth, lankku, n9 dali, n9 is gay, rumors, unfounded