Posts: 28 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Normandy, France
Samsung could be another option after Maemo/Meego's death :
Well I'm here at Samsung. I am a principal eningeer, so I talk with some level of authority in saying that Samsung has been working on its own Linux based OS for a while now, with significantly less fanfare than Nokia and Meego. Not only is is solidly being worked on and not relegated to irrelevance, but as part of the work, Enlightenment and EFL have become a central focus. Samsung is putting real resources behind EFL and using it to make a production-ready OS. The OS not only is Linux based, It uses all the other infrastructure from Linux (DBus, Glibc, Xorg, and much much much more). It is also going to be Open Source (GPL, LGPL etc.) and with Opensource upstream gaining contributions back from Samsung.

This is a real effort and not just some research experiment. Stay tuned. Things will only improve from here. If you were hoping for a slew of Meego handsets, then maybe you should also keep an eye out for something from Samsung (actual product details not available yet - if it be a Tablet, Handset or TV or anything else for that matter).
Source : http://www.rasterman.com/index.php?page=News

Having seen all the work he has done in Enlightenment/EFL and OpenMoko, it seems to be as a good news as Nokia's announce was bad...

The Following User Says Thank You to n-mi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Privacy is a bit overrated these days, I mean with tons of people voluntarily giving away extremely personal information even if nobody explicitly asks them for it (Facebook flock), Google is pretty much clueless to your personal data compared to FB, if you're using it that is...

I'm not against Android approach from the fear of privacy breach by Google, or out of hate for Java syntax... I'm against it because I don't want a system based on a glorified VM. I want native hardware access and as best efficiency as possible, Android doesn't even come close to that...

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
This will be my next device
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/12/s...eaked-on-kore/

Sorry MeeGo seems like Samsung got the Hardware just right this time and 2.3 Android and hopefully dual core support in the next update.

QNX got chances//

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
Privacy is a bit overrated these days, I mean with tons of people voluntarily giving away extremely personal information even if nobody explicitly asks them for it (Facebook flock),
No, it's underrated. You'll never find me on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr or other publicly accessible 'social networking' or 'cloud services' sites. People are way too casual about this stuff.

Google is pretty much clueless to your personal data compared to FB
Maybe, maybe even probably. I prefer not to take that chance. Even if you're right the Big Brother factor is always looming in the background, a kinda veiled threat. That said, our ISPs may be a bigger threat.

I'm not against Android approach from the fear of privacy breach by Google, or out of hate for Java syntax... I'm against it because I don't want a system based on a glorified VM. I want native hardware access and as best efficiency as possible, Android doesn't even come close to that...
On that we agree. Gimme a real mobile Linux distro.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by n-mi View Post
Samsung could be another option after Maemo/Meego's death :

Source : http://www.rasterman.com/index.php?page=News

Having seen all the work he has done in Enlightenment/EFL and OpenMoko, it seems to be as a good news as Nokia's announce was bad...
Yes....all eyes on samsung now. Everything in it's right place...

Why? What task requires dual core for in your mobile device? Do you feel that your N900 is underpowered? What processing features do you miss on your N900?

I am a technomaniac, and I do have an urge to go with the latest n' the greatest, but the thing is that the `greatest` after owning an N900 will never be the same. I really cannot force myself back to ye oldie smart phone, let alone feature phone platform, and there isn't anything on the market even remotely close to what the N900 gives. It replaced my laptop almost completely, and there is no pocketable device in sight that can replace the N900.

What use is a dual core, 1GB of RAM, super-fast GPU or 64GB of storage when you really cannot tap into it and have to rely on manufacturer's/carrier's good will to let you use the device you've already paid for?
At the moment the N900 is suitable for all my needs and doesn't appear underpowered however like any other electronic device progress is so fast at present I would imagine in 6 or so months it will start to feel, sadly, left behind. I can see new apps or programs will not run on the N900. Also more and more websites will turn to Flash 10.1.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
EFL? Oh no. Not that again. Why does everyone think he needs to re-invent the wheel? Can't they use components developers are more comfortable with? Yes, I admit EFL is nice, but given how exotic a GNU/Linux system in general is: Why make it more exotic?

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
Why? What task requires dual core for in your mobile device? Do you feel that your N900 is underpowered? What processing features do you miss on your N900?

I am a technomaniac, and I do have an urge to go with the latest n' the greatest, but the thing is that the `greatest` after owning an N900 will never be the same. I really cannot force myself back to ye oldie smart phone, let alone feature phone platform, and there isn't anything on the market even remotely close to what the N900 gives. It replaced my laptop almost completely, and there is no pocketable device in sight that can replace the N900.

What use is a dual core, 1GB of RAM, super-fast GPU or 64GB of storage when you really cannot tap into it and have to rely on manufacturer's/carrier's good will to let you use the device you've already paid for?
1080p recording and playback,hd games,better multitasking,smooth scrolling,better battery life,hard cpu tasks like video encoding and so on

for 2011 n900 is underpowered.
period

btw:
there are one-click rooting apps for android.next time please get some informations.
thanks

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post: