Active Topics

I'm probably one of the only people on here that doesn't mind this *too* much. Sure, Windows Phone 7 is not an open platform, but everything else about the system seems very nice. It's also got an incredibly nice dev environment.

The only real problem here from a consumer point of view is that Nokia appear to have COMPLETELY abandoned the idea of open source OS based phones. MeeGo had a lot of potential, and it would be great if they could continue this venture while also manufacturing Windows Phone phones, but it doesn't seem as if that will happen.

The problem is, Nokia isn't very good at commitment. They were trying to do too much at once, and they kept abandoning things. They've done it again, only this time, they CAN'T abandon their new direction. This deal will at least keep them somewhat consistent, but equally it could kill the company for good. What will probably happen is that they will become entirely a hardware manufacturer with absolutely nothing unique to differentiate them.

I'm not biased towards open source or closed source, both have their advantages and disadvantages. Yes this is a bad thing from the open source community's perspective, but it's not *necessarily* a bad thing for Nokia. Of course, we all know that the real winners here are Microsoft, no one can argue with that.

By the way, what happened with the whole ChevronWP7 thing... weren't MS supposed to be in some kind of discussions about providing homebrew for WP7? The last thing I heard is that they gave them tshirts.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by llBlackenedll View Post
The only real problem here from a consumer point of view is that Nokia appear to have COMPLETELY abandoned the idea of open source OS based phones.
No. The problem is that Nokia abandoned the idea of producing phones that would do basic tasks such as copy&paste, transfer any media file from/to the phone, multitask, access the file system directly etc etc.

I wouldn't even care much if it's free software or not. It should only perform some very basic tasks. And it doesn't. That's the problem.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ North-west, UK
I don't see how any good can come of this : http://www.extravision.com/blog/what-nokia-did-next

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Nokia receices money from Microsoft in order to give MS the opportunity to put WP7 on many Nokia's phones and eventually gain a substantial share of the market. For that reason, I expect that Elop cannot be very vocal about Nokia's plans to keep Meego development running. I am still hoping that Nokia still considers the Qt/Meego alternative seriously, but is keeping it on the QT for the time being. I wish we could know with certainty.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
No. The problem is that Nokia abandoned the idea of producing phones that would do basic tasks such as copy&paste, transfer any media file from/to the phone, multitask, access the file system directly etc etc.

I wouldn't even care much if it's free software or not. It should only perform some very basic tasks. And it doesn't. That's the problem.
By the time Nokia actually come round to releasing Windows phones, I'm sure WP7 will have many of the missing features. I believe the next update is due soon which will at least add copy-paste.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Abu Dhabi , UAE
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Unfortunately, the things missing currently only prove the immaturity of WP7, at least if this list is correct:

"Windows Phone 7 lacks some features that were found in earlier versions of Windows Mobile. Among the features that have been confirmed to arrive in the near-future include cut, copy, and paste,[65] full multitasking for 3rd party apps,[66] and Adobe Flash.[67] Windows Phone 7 supports upgradable storage via an SD Card; however SD card memory is merged with the phone's internal storage, and changing the SD card causes the phone to reset to factory settings.[68][69] Windows Phone 7 does not support connecting to Wi-Fi (wireless) access points which are hidden[70] or have a static IP address,[71] tethering to a computer[72] (although it can be done via a hack on the Samsung Focus[73]), videocalling,[74] VoIP calling,[75] USB mass-storage,[76] universal email inbox,[76] universal search,[76] a system-wide file manager,[74] Bluetooth file transfers,[74] USSD messages,[77] or custom ringtones.[78]"
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post

Lacking these features is not "immaturity"(At least not in my opinion) look at the article, then go and do some experimenting with Windows Mobile 6.5 . And you will get the point:Most of these features are omitted on purpose.

Last edited by govprog; 2011-02-14 at 13:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to govprog For This Useful Post:
Windows Phone 7 was built because Microsoft embraced the Iphone feature list. Multitasking is evil, right? Oh wait. That was last year.

I had a Windows Mobile 6 phone, and I would rather have that back than Windows Phone 7. I cannot see a single definition of smartphone that would lift the WP7 from the dumbphone to the smartphone category, with this list of missing features. And this is just a single paragraph from that article.

Originally Posted by xabier View Post
Nokia is an european company, an american CEO can't predict that europeans don't only care about money and that they are going to fight for their own personal and country's interests.
nice stereotype there!

throw in a few casual references to eating babies and we'll really be rocking.....

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by govprog View Post
Lacking these features is not "immaturity"(At least not in my opinion) look at the article, then go and do some experimenting with Windows Mobile 6.5 . And you will get the point:Most of these features are omitted on purpose.
LOL

How does this matter if I need them?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by govprog View Post
LOL, if my morning coffee didn't kick in, then your comment sure did the job. Excuse me while I go take a dump.