Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
Ahh, is it my mistake then. I did not realize the difference between Conky-N900 and Conky. Before your instalation, I had the original settings for Conky, which I got used to. Your app brought even more option, but I think it would've been better if Layout 1 stayed the original Conky...(my opinion lol).
Ah, now I see... Thanks!
You're always able to turn off Conky Layout Switcher. Simply start my application, disable it by unchecking "Enable Layout Switcher" and press save. The next time you start Conky again you have the "original" Layout.

In your case, sadly the original Layout from Conky-N900 (version 1.9.6). Not the Layout form the outdated Version 1.6.1.

Hmm... the aviable screen area has changed since version 1.6.1 a little bit. My own Layout looked ugly when I updated to version 1.9.6 - so I don't know if the Layout form Version 1.6.1 could work.

I attached a zip file containing the layout from Conky 1.6.1 (I hope this is the correct one)
Please extract it to the root of your mounted N900 mass storage drive or directly on the device to /home/user/MyDocs/
This way you can test it without replacing original files. (remove the usb cable before you start Conky, or it won't find the file) If everything works correct and you know how you can replace the file /etc/conky/conky.conf with this one. (you may need root access)

Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
Anyways here is what I got:

~ $ conky
Conky: desktop window (180eebc) is subwindow of root window (44)
Conky: window type - normal
Conky: drawing to created window (0x7c00001)
Conky: drawing to double buffer
Conky: can't open /sys/class/power_supply/bq27200-0/uevent: No such file or directory
Conky: can't open /sys/class/power_supply/bq27200-0/uevent: No such file or directory

and then it goes to your new Conky-N900
Okay. It seems normal to me except the last 2 rows. Perhaps I use something from the newer power kernel. I guess I have to check this.
Does it show the battery information correctly?
Attached Files
File Type: zip conky.conf.zip (1.8 KB, 106 views)

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

I just uploaded a small update. Several fixes for the Layouts and a new feature. Now you're able to switch off "update graphs in background".
If you don't switch the layouts back and forth a lot you could save a little bit cpu time this way - but then the graphs are not longer synchronized across the 4 different Layouts - you should close conky and start it with a different layout if you wan't to compare the graphs across the timeline.

Originally Posted by drucula View Post
A small request: any chance to make the app detect eth0 as a network connection? I'm using a USB network adapter as my primary connection to the internet and it tells me that there are no network connections.
drucula, could you check if the Network part is still working when you're using the USB network adapter?
I changed a lot at the config file to make it more maintainable. But I'm unable to check if it works properly.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Sorry, introduced a small bug in the applet. Try to fix it tomorrow. It doesn't switch to the correct window at the moment.

Edit: Fixed!

Last edited by helex; 2011-04-27 at 22:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Hi helex, I tried conky switcher some days ago and already deinstalled it again as it's way too hungry for letting it run in background all the time (I had a cpu workload of 30% minimum!).
Nevertheless, I like your config file (the 'normal' cpu one) and consider using it with standard conky. Could you tell me wether the config files itself have some ressource hungry parts or is it just the switching and updating process thats consumes so much power?

Hi x-lette,
Originally Posted by x-lette View Post
I tried conky switcher some days ago and already deinstalled it again as it's way too hungry for letting it run in background all the time (I had a cpu workload of 30% minimum!).
Yes, it is very resource hungry. This is the main problem I have at the moment. But 30% is to much... perhaps you had a fast update interval in the settings?

I have 8% CPU with 4,5sec update interval and about 18% CPU usage with 1sec update interval. But still to lot to keep it running in the background all the time. (in my opinion 5% would also be to much in the long term - so I close mine if I don't need it)

But you're always able to turn it off and use the default layout and switch it on if you wan't to see more details.

Nevertheless, I like your config file (the 'normal' cpu one) and consider using it with standard conky. Could you tell me wether the config files itself have some ressource hungry parts or is it just the switching and updating process thats consumes so much power?
The switching takes a lot of ram, but not that much cpu as far as I'm able to check. But drawing the graphs take A LOT of CPU time, especially the Disk specific. And I have to draw all graphs at each layout, even if they are not visible. I'm still searching for a workaround. If you have a Idea I would love to hear it. I still haven't gave up.

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by helex View Post
Yes, it is very resource hungry. This is the main problem I have at the moment. But 30% is to much... perhaps you had a fast update interval in the settings?
I think I had interval to middle setting.

The switching takes a lot of ram, but not that much cpu as far as I'm able to check. But drawing the graphs take A LOT of CPU time, especially the Disk specific.
OK so if not using layout switcher and only using one of the layouts would also result in high cpu load? I'd like to have something stable with some more information than the "old" conky layout. But of course nothing which keeps the load permanently high.

I guess I'll have to dig into that myself and create my own layout.

OK so if not using layout switcher and only using one of the layouts would also result in high cpu load?
Yes. higher than the default layout because of the more displayed information. But not that much.

I'd like to have something stable with some more information than the "old" conky layout. But of course nothing which keeps the load permanently high.

I guess I'll have to dig into that myself and create my own layout.
Or you could perhaps wait until Conky Layout Switcher is finished and see how it works then.
Its like the most software in a early Beta stage, a lot of debugging code is still inside and slows the whole thing down a lot but helps to make the development a lot easier.

Last edited by helex; 2011-04-28 at 11:20.

UPDATE:
0.0.9 - STRONG system load improvements
I removed some parts from the config file I used to debug my layouts. They made it for me easier to move the parts until the positions are settled. (I hope I won't need them anymore)

Please don't hesitate to report bugs.

Last edited by helex; 2011-04-28 at 19:22.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
eth0 works perfectly with 0.0.9-1.
again, great work!

The Following User Says Thank You to drucula For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
hey, if you didn't figure it out, the bq2700 error was caused by something i added to the new versions of conky. if that error comes up, you are missing the required module to read the battery info from sysfs. conky reads it from dbus instead in this case, but due to some weird nokia bug the charge level is not updated when the phone is charging. It's suggested to install the missing module...

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post: