Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
The big question is, can we get a N900 port of Maemo 6?

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
not good news!

a thoroughly inadequate GPU attached to an inadequate CPU.

and this in a £450 smartphone released in the second half of 2011..................
What are you babbling on about?

The Following User Says Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by azkay View Post
What are you babbling on about?
what don't you understand?

Omap3 is an antique.

While an A8 cpu fabbed at 45nm and clocked at 1GHz may provide acceptable performance when running Harmattan it is grossly out of kilter with consumer expectations of a high-end smartphone with a presumed n900 retail price, i.e. circa £450.

However, while the CPU is questionable the GPU is downright archaic! The SGX530 is significantly less powerful than the iPhone 3GS from 2009, which is less powerful than the main android platform of 2010, which is significantly less powerful than the Omap4/Tegra2/SnapdragonX2 platforms of 2011.............. and a world away from the performance of the 28nm platforms against which it will spend its life competing with from early 2012 onwards (presuming it doesn't actually get into shops before Sept).

Using the SGX530 gpu in high-resolution 2011 era smartphone with a (presumed) top-end price tag is utterly bonkers!

That is what i am 'babbling' about.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
what don't you understand?

Omap3 is an antique.

While an A8 cpu fabbed at 45nm and clocked at 1GHz may provide acceptable performance when running Harmattan it is grossly out of kilter with consumer expectations of a high-end smartphone with a presumed n900 retail price, i.e. circa £450.

However, while the CPU is questionable the GPU is downright archaic! The SGX530 is significantly less powerful than the iPhone 3GS from 2009, which is less powerful than the main android platform of 2010, which is significantly less powerful than the Omap4/Tegra2/SnapdragonX2 platforms of 2011.............. and a world away from the performance of the 28nm platforms against which it will spend its life competing with from early 2012 onwards (presuming it doesn't actually get into shops before Sept).

Using the SGX530 gpu in high-resolution 2011 era smartphone with a (presumed) top-end price tag is utterly bonkers!

That is what i am 'babbling' about.
What is this I dont even.

The Following User Says Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by azkay View Post
What is this I dont even.
i'm not sure what you are asking..........?

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
This thread is about software packages not Hardware so please make a thread and take your rant there

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
aha, a coherent response at last. my OP was at least on-topic, but your wish is my command.

I have to agree, while a 1Ghz A8 with 512MB of RAM and an SGX530 would still be an upgrade from what the N900 has, it's really more of just a slight generational increase--something you'd see from phones coming out a few months after it. By now, in mid-to-late 2011 and early 2012, we'll be seeing phones that have 768-1GB+ RAM, GPUs far more powerful than the SGX530, and 1GHz+ dual-core A9 CPUs, hardware much more powerful than the N900. Now, on the one hand, the aforementioned 'generational increase' would still be somewhat better(along with all of its other enhancements, such as extra sensors/hardware) and would probably be fine-ish. On the other hand, the N9 is most probably NOT going to be quite the superphone that it could be this late in the year. That being said, I would hope that at least the specs would include a 1GHz+ A8, 512MB+ RAM, and an SGX 540, although those are the bare minimum that I'd accept. Obviously I'd rather it be even more powerful, but I don't want to be too hopeful.

Edit: I was writing that before the suggestion to stay on topic was added, sorry! It's not really relevant to this thread. I will say that I'm happy to see a video-editing solution built-in this time around, it's a nice feature I could've used with all the videos I take.

Last edited by Tensuke; 2011-05-20 at 10:49.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
This thread is about software packages not Hardware so please make a thread and take your rant there
you get hardware expectations from the software-list so to sum up software and hardware - what is new and shiny in RX-71/RM686!

skyhost's V engine gives a clue that wifi driven VVoIP might get hardware accelerated

tnpclient tracking... is there hardware behind or is this only a software stack

NFC - nice but in countries I am around pretty useless for now

has FMTX so broadcasting and recieving will be possible as it is the kinda same chip in n900 already

omap3 packages, the omap36xx series is capable of wxga/720p so good with me

caldav - FOR THE WIN!

barcode gen

TI1273 - is wl1273 for BT/wifi and FMTXD could be with abgn and BT3 but shows wl1271 too o_O

cryptsetup - fs encryption preinstalled?

layar - AR stack

fenix - 2D game engine

grob - webkit browser

XT9 - T9 input method on X

MMS - MMS service stack

python2.6

compasslogic - magnetometer

shazam - shaaaaaZZZZaaaaam^^

simlock - :/

video-suite - video-mgr, editor, TV-out, et al

mtev - XI2 Multitouch environment

what we learn, if any h/w easter-egg then not here...

To sum up in one line, we have:

Capa-touchscreen with XI2 MT - WXGA, compass, fmtx-fmrx, tv-out prolly 720p, omap3 with ti1273 or '71, NFC

for hardware with some new simlock, video-suite, shazam, fenix, augmented reality software stack with caldav support!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
The package for fingerprint gathering is what you think it's for. A soon to be released device was to ship with this module but was tossed at last minute - chances are, a more developer oriented device will include it.