Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I love this tweet:

"Steve Jobs is NOT stepping down. He meant to write "I reign as Apple CEO," but the auto-correct on his iPhone messed it up."

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
"Felt a great disturbance. As if a million Apple-haters cried out, ripped off their clothes and ran around the city high-fiving each other."
--Rikki Simons

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Did you listen to his commencement speech at Stanford? Very moving. He was adopted and dropped out of college due to expense, that his low middle class parents couldn't afford.
Actually, most of the people I've ever worked with in Silicon Valley had similar backgrounds--maybe not all adopted, but almost everyone was a college drop-out of one sort or another. Even I started college and didn't finish it for exactly the same reason--at the time, I was unable to afford it.. ultimately, my experience has spoken FAR more than an education would have, thankfully, for me.

Originally Posted by droll View Post
yes, true, but he was also hard working and fortunate to be given the chance to change the tech industry. you never know how many other talented people are out there but will die in anonymity because they never had the right chance...
Amen--thankfully, people like him and even Gates and others who've similarly recognized good talent that never finished college hire people like me and my coworkers. So, if nothing else, they're hiring creative, experienced and talented people in addition to the studious and well-read. I give him lots of credit for that, honestly. It's one of the better parts of the Apple (really, mainly Silicon Valley all-around) culture.

Originally Posted by jo21 View Post
now nokia will be sold to microsoft and elop will be hired as apple CEO.

then sold to microsoft.
Also, AT&T will buy T-Mobile, thereby giving Microsoft-Nokia one less carrier to deal with. What a brave new future. :/
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
In before the fanboys declare Apple dead in the water.

His resignation was inevitable. Now it's up to Apple to continue their singular approach to presentation, sales and product development.

I'm quite sure the next few iterations of the iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, et al are already planned out. The true test of Apple's mettle will come probably next summer or so.

Regardless... not a sad day. A man doing his job, taking them from 2.17 Billion in 1997 to 348.75 Billion in 2011 is not bad work.
If the man was ACTUALLY smart, he will have already pre-recorded himself greeting his religious followers and inviting them to enjoy the brand new iPhone/iPad/iProduct that Tim (or whoever the new CEO might be) is about to walk out and announce. He can wish them well and thank them for supporting Apple.

Hell.. record 50 of them so they can keep trotting him out on stage for the NEXT 50 years! Hell.. I'm saying this all tongue-in-cheek but I think it'd be pretty funny, smart AND kinda retro-futuristic all at the same time. heh
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Tim Cook e-mails Apple employees: "Apple is not going to change"

Bummer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Even if I dislike Jobs, he atleast had a vision for the friuitcompany.

Thats not what I will say about Nokia:s CEO... He seems to be more intrested in his old companys plans...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
This is good for business
Good for who bussiness? Nokia? Microsoft? it would be more nice if someone fire Elop before its too late...

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Now if only Apple would change. This person was directly responsible for some of the more negative, destructive trends that Apple created; trends that other companies followed as consumers got used to them and they saw they could get away with it. (Even Nokia: forced registration for example.)

Jobs is probably the only leader of a (tech) company I'd call "evil". It needs a certain kind of character to do what he did. (In his business life and in his private life.) The world will be a better place without him. Meanwhile, I'll just open a bottle of champagne because he resigned.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
goodbye apple, hello meego

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
It's always so sad when an insanely rich, aging man never has to work again.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Now if only Apple would change. This person was directly responsible for some of the more negative, destructive trends that Apple created; trends that other companies followed as consumers got used to them and they saw they could get away with it. (Even Nokia: forced registration for example.)

Jobs is probably the only leader of a (tech) company I'd call "evil". It needs a certain kind of character to do what he did. (In his business life and in his private life.) The world will be a better place without him. Meanwhile, I'll just open a bottle of champagne because he resigned.
Funny how people call Jobs evil, yet praise Nokia. Bad business decisions don't make you a corporate darling.

Making shrewd business decisions don't make you a public darling.

And I'm going to say this much. Jobs changed how Nokia and a lot of other folks do business. Out with the old, in with the new - he did it his way. One man, 35 years of innovation on his own path basically.

Nokia? They couldn't adapt, their decisions around Maemo created the current situation around MeeGo and now they decided to bring in a man that's been at one company right before they were absorbed by an even bigger company - Macromedia got bought out by Adobe.

Stifling open source, not finding a clearer path, ****ing up the lead they had with the 770 and losing as much share as they have since 2007. If you were a shareholder, I'd call the Nokia board of directors evil, if not just stupid.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
jobs gone, n9 still noshow