Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@48GX,

Sorry of the off-topic, but seeing your nickname I have to "confess" that I still use my 48S almost every day

Old hardware kicking *** day after day..

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
I love my n900 but for me it is getting old for a simple thing: I have to wait on simple things like open applications.

I have my n900 @850Mhz, swappolube, CSSU, etc., and still, is not fast enough.

Not even the calculator launches instantly.

And for apps like Kasvopus, Twimgo, I always have to wait at least 6-7s.

I love maemo, that's why I have not bought an iPhone yet, but anyone here I know has seen how fast is the iPhone 4 for example.

Samsung Galaxy S2: just incredible.

It's always been a shame the lack of RAM of our beloved device.

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
@48GX,

Sorry of the off-topic, but seeing your nickname I have to "confess" that I still use my 48S almost every day

Old hardware kicking *** day after day..
@reinob,

that's why I prefer obtaining all the possible juice from the hardware.

I have been using for 15 years my 48GX's and repaired many of them.

When you look at how capable is the limited hardware of these calcs is why I ask for the supposed limited hard of the n900.

Regards!

The Following User Says Thank You to 48GX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Forest of Dean, England.
At the risk of sounding like a stuck record...I had an iPhone 4 and hated it...and it wasnt just because of the Jobs wall, but everything about it was like fixed routes like zombie going shopping - everything is on the shelf that you need but getting to the shelf is boring.

The real question for me, and maybe others, is what do you need your device to do? What do you want it to do? If the N900 works for YOU and there is nothing else on the market for you then its the perfect device.

Dont make the mistake I did of auto thinking newer = better.

The way my N900 works makes me think, makes me smile

PICTURES TAKEN WITH MY N900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thebtman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Tried gerbick's link with my Sony Ericsson xperia play at stock clock (1024) and got 10fps flat. Then oc'ed to 1400 and got between 13-14 fps lol

My device is not doing great either on that test, then again it's a gaming device and does that brilliant

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

1. Swappable battery is absolute must in any phone I buy, so N9 and fruit phones are non-starters for me.

2. N900's 5mp camera is ok and improving it means better optics and bigger sensor, not more pixels. My $75 Canon Powershot has 5mp and takes better pics than the N900 so phone cameras have a ways to go.

3. 256mb/800 mhz is fine if software is written intelligently, which not all is. Of course 512mb or 1gb would be better, battery power permitting.

4. I'd really like to have hot swappable batteries (swap from one battery to another while phone is online with programs active) or at least ability to swap batteries while phone is powered by external charger.

5. Hardware keyboards rule.

The swappable battery doesn't rank high on my priority list. Yes, it is preferable to be able to swap it if needed, but there are some cheap and small USB chargers out there that are even better than swapping a battery out, since you don't have to shut it down.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
One of the biggest downgrades with newer phones are it's capacitive screens.. surfing the web are a lot more cumbersome than on a resistive. Missing hardware buttons (like for camera) is another.

The n900 is really an awesome device. In my mind the only lack is Ram. If it had that and a tiny bit larger screen and resolution it would be perfect. It is getting older but will stay current a long time still. As Gerbick pointed out some web technologies are difficult on the n900 but it works in the most part. Html are old and pretty much still the backbone of the web. Most serious businesses want their services to reach as much audience as possible. So they will want to be compatible in one way or the other. There is a reason why most web pages are opted for 800x680 resolution. They do this because that resolution was the standard 15 years ago. This will never change.. or take a heck a lot of years.

I will never sell my n900.. it still does the things i bought it for and it will continue to do so for many more years. As long as it doesn't suffer a hardware fault.

The only real rival are the N950 which i also am lucky to be a owner of. The N9 will be a magnificent device. I hope they release a later build for testing soon. The current one for the N950 are old and incomplete. So existing reviews of it should be taken with a bit of salt.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Netherlands
Ola

wich mobile device has a better performance than the N900 webbrowsing?

tested Samsung Gallaxy it's fast but scores aren't that great also

also funny the scores on www.html5test.com

fennec scoors the best . Microb Poor, browser android inbetween.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75590

Last edited by EyeVisions; 2011-08-28 at 08:27.

Yeah, everybody needs multicore CPUs on their OSes which do not even support proper multitasking.

The N900 does exactely what I need it for. Myy problem, I don't want a phone, but a tiny computer which let's me do phone calls and SMS as well. There is nothing even remotely comparabel out there, therefor it is fair to day the N900 is state of the art, until we get a N950 of course. What do I need all the horse power in a phone, if the OS blocks me from using its full potential? How to I manage to use all the resources, without some stupid VM or security system blocking me.

The Following User Says Thank You to kobold For This Useful Post: