Active Topics

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Metro UI can be turned off, reverting to what is basically a Win7 UI unless you open a Metro app. Metro apps always run in the Metro UI. At least that's my understanding.

Of course they want testing and feedback on Metro, because as you say, the real point of Win8 vs Win7 is unification of developement and the introduction of a unified app store for desktop, tablet and phone Win versions.

That said, and to get back on-topic, I don't see any comparable effort on the Linux side to integrate and unifiy desktop and mobile Linux, much less a centralized, unified Linux 'app store'. And as much as I endorse and enjoy the freedom and choices Linux provides, I'm really beginning to think that, given the direction things are going having the option of an integrated system is the only way Linux will make a major market impact beyond servers.

IOW, desktop Linux (i.e. Gnome, KDE,etc.) is still trying to compete with Win7 and OSX. Mobile Linux is gasping for breath. MS and Apple are preparing to unify their desktop and mobile efforts. IMHO, Linux developers must come up with a similar (hopefully superior) comprehensive effort if Linux has any hope of ever finally becoming a true 'mainstream' OS. No longer can mobile and desktop be treated as separate systems.
Agreed. On the windows side, I believe microsoft may have a few hidden cards still to play. Who knows, maybe applications can be compiled to use an UI when Metro is enabled, and to use another one with Aero.

Linux has been trying to steal desktop market for a long time, and microsoft even considered it a serious threat, but now, it's only a threat for the server market (hehe, 10 out of 13 servers where I work are running linux).

Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
Regedit is not something that average joe will like. People might be happy now but who knows people might not be happy in 2 years. Just imagine having to work and go throught tiles and metro and regular desktop apps.
Agreed. I found that even the Control Panel is too much for some people. Time will tell. And this new approach of letting the average user play and test the new OS can only give good results. It worked pretty good with 7.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing_Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
How many people on TMO have run Windows 7 on a decent-spec machine in 2009 (>1GHz, 1GB RAM, =>60GB HDD, DX9 capable)?
Not in 2009 but in 2010.
I was one of the beta testers in our corporation.
On a Core Duo, 2.53GHz, 4GB mem, ~180GB HDD.
Sometimes it was still slow.

It's actually pretty good, and rarely if ever crashes.Explorer in Windows 7 was actually a huge leap forward even if nothing changed much except for the taskbar.
It may be such an impression if you were using Vista before.
But Explorer is still crashing, not so often as in Win98, but enough to make users like me very angry.

When I tried Metro on Windows 8, it was just terrible.
If you say that and if you find Windows 7 Explorer
"actually pretty good" I wonder how it will be for me.