Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Marcelo great work from you and your team on the application enhancements and keyboard work.
One of the requests I would have for Canola improvements is to have podcatching as an option. The podcast player in its present incarnation is pretty good but the nature of most podcasts is that they are long and need to be searched to get to specific parts of them. By enabling downloading (auto or not) of podcasts it would be much easier to handle podcasts. I have used Gpodder and believe it to be a great application but would love to have similar functionality wrapped in the Canola interface.

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Hey, Marcelo!

Contextual interface is definitely an interesting idea.

How about linking automatic switching of contexts to GeoClue? That way Canola could automatically switch to "home" profile when I come home, and to the "work" profile when I'm at work.
Couldn't it get the contextual clues from the device without needing GeoClue? For instance depending on the WiFi network the N800 is connected to, Canola can determine if the N800 is at home or at work. This is one of the (fanciful) suggestions I listed in bug (RFE) #1046 for Power Management Profiles whereby power and other settings could be selected based on availability of environmental (contextual) resources such as WiFi.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Couldn't it get the contextual clues from the device without needing GeoClue? For instance depending on the WiFi network the N800 is connected to, Canola can determine if the N800 is at home or at work.
Yes, the name of the WiFi network could be used for switching profiles, like the Mac app NetworkLocation does (some other interesting location-based ideas there also, BTW).

However, GeoClue can do that and in addition provide support for locations regardless of WiFi availability, which could provide interesting possibilities. Think of "tune to the local country channel in FM radio when at summer cottage" or "turn down the volume when I'm at the station so I can hear the announcements".

Since we can just as easily do "real" positioning, I wouldn't go to the limitation of just being able to do stuff when WiFi is available.

The Following User Says Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ack! I *knew* that suggestion came from SOMEwhere... lol. Didn't mean to steal your thunder, Mil.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Since we can just as easily do "real" positioning, I wouldn't go to the limitation of just being able to do stuff when WiFi is available.
Oh I quite agree that there are more sources of environment/contextual cues than just WiFi (which just happens to my main interest as it comes as standard and I don't have a GPS!) GeoClue definately has potential to allow the device to modify it's behaviour according to location. Designing a systema and interface to support all of this functionality could be quite a challenge though!

@Texrat - no problem fella, but I'll start charging you next time!

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hello fellows =)

@mobile divide: First thanks for the encouraging words, and I'm happy to say that this is not only ALREADY done, but most important: we are also fixing the player (actually we created ours) that solves most of our problems in the past version. that's why it took so long, we are actually focused on having a great infra to develop on top. So the podcast download manager is ready and kicking. so you can listen, stream and download or just download if you wish. and the best: it was made very independent so it allows us to make for example a small applet to control just this without having to load canola. This will enable you to manage downloads in a better way. We took it pretty serious because we also believe podcasting is very important. So I'm pretty happy to see that we will be able to reach this goal!

@milhouse: yes this is our approach. Once you setup a wifi it asks if you want to "attach" to a location pretty much like apple's location manager. Then it can "detect" where you are based on that. For the car, we plan to use the obd2 bluetooth signal =)

I think that this will not be in the next release, as we are going to work quite hard to make it work flawlessly. But the "infra" to do that is shaping up quite well, and that's the most important.

The Following User Says Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by handful View Post
@milhouse: yes this is our approach. Once you setup a wifi it asks if you want to "attach" to a location pretty much like apple's location manager. Then it can "detect" where you are based on that. For the car, we plan to use the obd2 bluetooth signal =)

I think that this will not be in the next release, as we are going to work quite hard to make it work flawlessly. But the "infra" to do that is shaping up quite well, and that's the most important.
Handful - that sounds excellent, but can you confirm if the attachment (or association) of WiFi to a location is a feature of Canola or the "operating system" (ie. infra)?

Location awareness should be a centralised operating system feature allowing the development of new functionality in applications such as Canola or Power Management profiles at the OS level. If the location awareness can be extended to include GPS functionality (when available) then Maemo/Nokia will have a very poweful system for applications such as Canola to tap into.

However I would be concerned if location awareness is an exclusive feature within Canola as this would seem like a wasted oppurtunity to implement something with a much broader appeal.

I like the idea of using obd2 to detect when in the car! And it comes to mind that the absence of a WiFi connection (ignoring hot spots which I generally don't use) could be taken as a cue for travelling to/from work - although this would of course be "temporal location awareness": Monday-Friday morning and evening only!

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-07-31 at 01:37.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by handful View Post
Hello fellows =)

@mobile divide: First thanks for the encouraging words, and I'm happy to say that this is not only ALREADY done, but most important: we are also fixing the player (actually we created ours) that solves most of our problems in the past version. that's why it took so long, we are actually focused on having a great infra to develop on top. So the podcast download manager is ready and kicking. so you can listen, stream and download or just download if you wish. and the best: it was made very independent so it allows us to make for example a small applet to control just this without having to load canola. This will enable you to manage downloads in a better way. We took it pretty serious because we also believe podcasting is very important. So I'm pretty happy to see that we will be able to reach this goal!
This is EXCELLENT news podcasts and internet radio are some of my most used features on the IT, it sounds like the new Canola will really be an exciting product. Thanks for the reply and of course if you need any assistance beta testing or filing bugs I am willing help.

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Location awareness should be a centralised operating system feature allowing the development of new functionality in applications such as Canola or Power Management profiles at the OS level. If the location awareness can be extended to include GPS functionality (when available) then Maemo/Nokia will have a very poweful system for applications such as Canola to tap into.
This is exactly why we made GeoClue a D-BUS service. Any application can ask for the position from it (or subscribe to "position changed" signals), and GeoClue abstracts the source of the position away.

So when you're using GPS the position information comes from there, and when that is not available other sources (like WiFi) are used. The whole point is to avoid application-specific hacks and to enable applications to use whatever position source user has available, and not just the ones the application author thought of.

The Following User Says Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
I'm really exited about this canola release, but at the same time I'm also scared that its only going to run on a N800, can you please confirm that its gonna run on a nokia 770 and make me worry free.

thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to kay.one For This Useful Post: