Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Who derailed this thread?

I think we have to face the fact that we have a serious serial thread derailer among us.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post

I think we have to face the fact that we have a serious thread derailer among us.
Yup... The derailer: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...31&postcount=3

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Yup... The derailer: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...31&postcount=3
Hey, Don't shoot the messanger,,,

That was a nostalic question to the old guys walking the maemo streets long before we arrived and what device (one of the five) they favored over the others, if any.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-12-17 at 17:48.

Give me your definition of "branded" first...
Why this stalling? But anyway. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82693

Main firmware images for the Nokia N9 are divided up into "variants" by regions of the world. Except for carrier-branded variants and the 003 (China) firmware, these images are more or less the same.

001 - Europe (1), Latin/South America, South Africa
003 - China
005 - Asia/Pacific (incl. Australia/New Zealand, excl. China)
006 - Middle East
009 - Europe (2)
2xx, 3xx, 4xx - "Country Variant" and carrier-branded images

Downgrades of firmware are normally blocked by the phone. Whether something is a "downgrade" is determined by comparing the entire version strings of the old and new firmware versions, which include the variant code, from left to right. As a result, the variant code must be the same or higher unless you also upgrade the firmware version at the same time. For example:

PR 1.1 variant 009 to PR 1.1 variant 003: Blocked
PR 1.1 variant 003 to PR 1.1 variant 009: Allowed
PR 1.1 variant 009 to PR 1.2 variant 001: Allowed
PR 1.1.1 variant 006 to PR 1.2 variant 005: Allowed
PR 1.2 variant 001 to PR 1.1 variant 001: Blocked

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post

I think we have to face the fact that we have a serious serial thread derailer among us.
The derailing comes from the fact that the community is not held together by love for Maemo, but by hate towards Nokia/MS. To be a "true and proper" member of TMO all you need is to sing "all you need is hate".

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by specc View Post
The derailing comes from the fact that the community is not held together by love for Maemo, but by hate towards Nokia/MS. To be a "true and proper" member of TMO all you need is to sing "all you need is hate".
You must be the band leader, ericcson.

Well thedead, I am still waiting for the solution.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Well thedead, I am still waiting for the solution.
I still don't get your definition of "branded"... The link is from the flashing guide which doesn't speak about de-branding... Basically you want all the operator-related things off right? Confirm it and i'll tell you how...

I still don't get your definition of "branded"... The link is from the flashing guide which doesn't speak about de-branding... Basically you want all the operator-related things off right? Confirm it and i'll tell you how...
The link does in fact include branded stuff, 2xx, 3xx etc (that cannot be flashed to ANY unbranded version due to higher version number)

What I want is a vanilla pr1.3 001 from any of the other pr1.3 versions. Do you know how? yes or no.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Vanilla PR1.3 can be flashed on top of a branded PR1.3. That's been proven over and over again. For instance my N9 from Dubai was flashed with Northern Europe PR1.3 (considered vanilla) from PR1.2.1, then reflashed with PR1.3 from Dubai when it finally came out. Not a problem.

You have a point, downgrading isn't possible it seems - I may be wrong. But if you're talking about going from branded (like Telcel) to vanilla, that's very doable as long as they're either an upgrade or sidegrade (same to same).

But if you're talking about a branded PR1.3 to PR1.2, not possible from what little I know/have seen.

But why would you want what you're asking? "Just because" or "I can do it on the Lumia 800" isn't really a good answer. Both are minor players as compared to other mainstream phones and the ability to do such a minor thing - convenient or not - is really like splitting hairs. Nice if you can do it, but can your Lumia 800 be upgraded to WP8? Can it be unbranded, unlocked and then have USB OTG or mass storage enabled?

In the end, your point doesn't matter. Both phones/platforms will invariably be forgotten to the average customer by January 2013.

Tags
maemo, nostalgia